587,801 active members*
3,487 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 14 of 27 4121314151624
    Quote Originally Posted by santiniuk
    (Hey Alan are you lost in PicServo World ???)

Indeed I am. Still plugging away at it...

It's got a 32bit position register and 16bit error, P, I, D registers and can handle motor RPM above 10K easily @ 40MHz... It's gonna be a beast!

With the 32bit position register it takes my servo about 15 minutes of continuous running at it's maximum voltage (34V) at probably 6-8 thousand RPM to make the register overflow! I think that's enough resolution for anything not the size of the Queen Mary.

I'm working on the PID routines and the ramping profiles at the moment. Then I have to finish the RS-232 control port and polish up the LCD DRO display (it even has RPM!).. It's all fun!

Still hear, just busy.

Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLWeiss
    Well I got the new PicStep v3 boards completed and built. I am working on a powersupply for them now and should have test results this weekend. Its going to be a Christmas light show when they are in action. 12 different LED's blinking at once
    Oooo the first boards to be built and tested!

The design hasn't changed, I just added the LED's so it "should just work"

Got photo?

-A

Thanks for the encouraging words guys...I'll start a new thread with progress to date, photos, dxf etc. Sorry to hijack your thread santiniuk

I'm currently 'spinning' my motors with a general purpose PIC16F84 based board I designed a few years back (pre kids), which 'plugs' into an L298N daughter board I made for robot experiments. It works OK, but the electronics aren't optimised for driving steppers. I'd much rather contribute to the 'buy Alan a lathe fund' and spend what little free time I have now chopping up metal in the garage.

I'm actually more interested in his PICServo project. I've scrounged 3 nice servos but only 2 decent steppers at the moment. I had thought to get my mill working using steppers then attempt designing a PIC based servo driver :tired:... If you need a Beta tester Alan just say the word! My Z-axis needs YOU!

Not a problem at all Andy, It's not a hijack in the least.

I suspect you may get more answers to your questions on linear designs etc if you start a thread as a lot of people will think this is just the santiniuk ramble and probably have me on the block list......

It sounds like you have all the skills to jump on in. I joined Alan's Lathe fund. He must have enough to buy one now !

The Picservo Project is sounding excellent, Looking forward to seeing the details on this. Nice one Alan.

Was hoping to see Bob's lightshow posted. Any pics out there Bob ?

Yeah I will be posting pictures maybe tomorrow...I need to run out and get batteries for my camera...never have enough around the house when I need them...KIDS!!!

Arrow

Well here are some pictures of the controller, power supply and a piece of work that I have done. Its a picture of my youngest son, came out really well..better than I would have thought.

I will take more pictures of the controller working when I hook it all up.

As you can see in the pictures, the controller I am using DIN plugs for motor connection and a LED at the top of each one for step signals. The power supply is a toridial (sp?) transformer that puts out 31vdc/18 amps.

I am also using 3 small 5vdc fans above each set of controller chips to keep them cool instead of heat sinks. These fans are 40mm size and are perfect for job.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Controller_front.JPG   Controller_back.JPG   Controller_inside.JPG   PS_front.JPG  

PS_back.JPG   Sample.JPG  

Well Look who's been very busy !

The new controller box looks the business. I intend to copy your idea on the DIN plugs for motor connections and will probably add a fan our two.

Do you intend not to use a heatsink at all ?

I have only operated my motors for short periods of time but certainly the heatsinks soon warmed up.

I imagine it's quite a show when all the motor's are running and the LED's are in sequence. (You beat me to the Picstep 3 construction by miles!)

That one piece of work you have created of your son is excellent. That alone is a real kick to keep this going for me. I would *love* to create something like that with my girls.

Can you give a brief summary how you created it Bob. Are you using TurboCNC still or have you moved on ?

Does it take long to cut ?

I'm hoping to see some more bit's this week...... and the next ramble.....

Thanks !

Thanks for the complements..

The first picstep boards I built which I am using on my machine now have heatsinks and never get that hot, even when the machine has been running 6 hours straight! The fans should keep it under control.

I used a program called IMGTOGCODE and converted a picture to G-code and cut it out using TurboCNC. After playing around with the settings for awhile I got it down to taking about 4 hours to cut out a picture 9" x 9" in size. Once I hook up the new picsteps and power supply I should get some more IPM out of my steppers. I have them set for 20 now.

I am still trying to learn the ins and outs of CAD programs so I can design some parts for models etc...I never seem to get enough time to just play anymore...something always comes up...

How's your machine comming along? Last I saw you had the frame built correct?

Ooo Ooo new toys!

Hi guys, got some new toys!

Looks like my mill is back on the front burner again!

Click to enlarge....

Yay fun!

Alan.

Ha !

Good to see your roughing it Alan

Here's me skip-ratting trying to find the holy grail for my Z-Axis and then along come your works of art ! I reckon your making too much from all these paypal donations.......

I'm looking forward to seeing your construction log. Do you intend to do one ?
    What are your plans to date ? I guess you have been busy with picstep / picservo so we never really found out if this is your 1st project or not.

I see you have posted an update on your website for picservo. Looking good !

Bob /

Been a slow week, but a little productive ....

Status so far was basically frame and Y-axis fitted but should see progress again now.
    I now have gantry parts so may post an update later tonight. I think I got carried away with the CAD stuff. Some of the plates were modelled from 20mm material. The bit's I have made are from 13mm and this weighs heavy..... I'm a little concerened about the weight so may do some material removal...

Cheers

I just scored some 26" lead screws with nuts off Ebay so I will be getting ready to build the "new and improved" machine..I must say, the first one is working far better than I expected...I wasn't sure how well the drawer slides would hold up and they are working great. The new machine I will be making is going to be like the ones a couple people are building now on here..The MDF machines..with drill rods and bearings and a moving gantry style. I will start a new thread once I get all parts in order.

Looking forward to following the thread Bob. You guys in the USA are so lucky. I see all sorts for sale on the USA ebay that goes quite cheap. In the UK ebay cnc stuff seems quite 'rare' and also seems to demand a good price...

Oh well. Hope your ready for the next riveting ramble.....

Here we go.....

I'm really too far into this to drop out now, even the wife is taking interest. (Actually she ask's "When is that metal thing going to move so I can get to the tumble drier ?") I just cannot wait to build my garage now. I can hardly move in there and it's getting hard cropping the pictures without showing what a mess it is

Back on track...

Referring to the CAD images the 4 parts making the gantry were made from some old aluminium offcuts. As mentioned this plate is all 13mm. 6mm Cap head screws are used as the fixing components.

The assembly was proved to check I was on the right track. I have not fixed solid yet.

So I present my filthy aluminium bits before and after a light scrub.

(Any tips on how to clean this stuff. Do I need to apply anything to improve the long term look ?)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1DSCN0144.JPG   1DSCN0147.JPG  

The base plate was then located onto the Y-Axis assembly plate and located with just two fixtures for testing. I will fix this with 4 more screws soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1DSCN0148.JPG   1DSCN0149.JPG  

So far so good.

Next step was to add the Gantry verticals. I'm quite pleased with these.

I dont have the corner angled supports yet so basically these are held in place with 3 screws per side at the moment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1DSCN0150.JPG   1DSCN0152.JPG  

Lastly the gantry top backplate fits to the gantry arms. Again 3 caphead screws per side.

*Amazingly* the holes line up and the fixture is secured quite solid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1DSCN0153.JPG   1DSCN0155.JPG  

In true Rolph Harris style.... 'Can you tell what it is yet ?'

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel !

Next steps are to add the two support rods and bearings that support the gantry base plate and to make the 4 angled supports that fix to the gantry base and vertical arms.

End of this weeks ramble.....

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1DSCN0157.JPG   1DSCN0158.JPG  

Ha !

Good to see your roughing it Alan
    Indeed! When have you known me to do things by halves!

Here's me skip-ratting trying to find the holy grail for my Z-Axis and then along come your works of art ! I reckon your making too much from all these paypal donations.......
    No, not really, I have almost enough to buy a nice big stepper motor. Or some 1/16th of a OneCNC license. I've just been cutting back on expensive lunches and working overtime.

I'm looking forward to seeing your construction log. Do you intend to do one ?
    What are your plans to date ? I guess you have been busy with picstep / picservo so we never really found out if this is your 1st project or not.
    First machine. I got all roped into the design of the motor controllers I never got around to building my machine. A tube of 25 LMD18245 imported from the USA set me back a few months of purchasing power!

I see you have posted an update on your website for picservo. Looking good !
    Getting there, I'm trying to scale back a 32bit PID result integer to a 10bit PWM integer without making the whole thing to slow. Multiply is easy with the hardware multiplier, but division is hard because its just shifting and subtraction in a loop. 4 instructions to multiply, hundreds/thousands to divide! ARGH!

Oh well getting there.

Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by 10bulls
    I'm actually more interested in his PICServo project. I've scrounged 3 nice servos but only 2 decent steppers at the moment. I had thought to get my mill working using steppers then attempt designing a PIC based servo driver :tired:... If you need a Beta tester Alan just say the word! My Z-axis needs YOU!
    Sure, once I complete the firmware, I'll send you a HEX file you can burn. (I'm gonna hold onto the sources for this one a little while)

Hopefully the component count should be relatively low and should use only off the shelf parts.

Alan.

In true Rolph Harris style.... 'Can you tell what it is yet ?'
    Oh dear, don't judge all Australians by Rolf f&$#ing Harris!

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel !
    Looking awesome mate! Very well done! I cannot wait to see pictures of it cutting stuff. I'd be really interested to see PICStep running at full speed on a machine.

Cheers,
    Alan.

Good skills, that man. Your machine's looking the biz now.

Nice update. Keep 'em coming.

Oh yeah. Nearly forgot. I need that ballscrew assy back now :stickpoke

Just kidding.

Regards Terry.....

Page 14 of 27 4121314151624