587,657 active members*
8,234 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Cutting D plenum aluminum with a Miter saw

Cutting D plenum aluminum with a Miter saw

Hi everyone im sorry if im posting in the wrong area but i have a 1/4" thick D plenum extrusion and i need to cut the end of it at an angle. ive read people cutting aluminum with a miter saw before but not sure if its possible to do what i want. i want a decent cut it doesnt have to be perfect because and end cap will be welded to it. Some pictures are below of exactly what material i have and what i want done. if you guys have any ideas of what tools i can use to make the cuts in the pictures as far as the angle and holes i greatly appreciate that also.

I cut Al with circular saws often. The cuts won't look as nice as your first photo, but you should be able to weld to it without much trouble. I use a high tooth count carbide blade. These blades are often referred to as plywood blades (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by flyinchips View Post
    I cut Al with circular saws often. The cuts won't look as nice as your first photo, but you should be able to weld to it without much trouble. I use a high tooth count carbide blade. These blades are often referred to as plywood blades (I think).
    Put your blade on backwards and use WD 40 as a lubricant

Smile

How do I get a circular saw to cut that angle though.

Angle the work piece, not the saw blade. Make up an angle jig, and use layout lines on the work piece to align your proposed cut with the blade.

Mark

I cut aluminum on my table saw all the time. Have had success with any decent high tooth count carbide blade, but the ideal blade for cutting aluminum is what's known as a triple chip blade. I have tried 2- one from Oshlun and a cheaper one from Timberline. The timberline cut pretty well- I definitely got my money's worth, but the Oshlun was unbelievable- highly recommended. I put a bit of boelube on the teeth before I make any heavy cuts- mainly because it doesn't spray all over the place when you turn the saw on.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012YMVBE]Amazon.com: Oshlun SBNF-100100 10-Inch 100 Tooth TCG Saw Blade with 5/8-Inch Arbor for Aluminum and Non Ferrous Metals: Home Improvement[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P4SKPI]Amazon.com: Timberline 10181 Ti-Cut and trade Aluminum and Non-Ferrous TC Grind Thin Kerf Carbide Tipped Saw Blade: Home Improvement[/ame]

Would recommend taking the extra bit of time to get your fixturing to the point you are happy with it. The cut finish will be better and your fingers will be happy. The aluminum cuts pretty easy- but it's not plywood.

Hope this helps,

-Matt

what is the diameter of the part? I bought a Evolution Steel Saw II last year, and put an aluminum blade on it. I have cut up to 2" square solid (6061) on it. It has an integrated vice and can cut an angle. The cut quality is good and it will make short work of the tube if it will fit.

Evo380 Steel Chop Saw, Professional Chop Saw, evolutionsteel.com

Heres the dimensions of the material .

That is going to be tight, I'll measure tonight and let you know.

Ok cool I appreciate it. The thing is im kind of trying to do this on a budget I dont have much to spend.

What kind of equipment do you have currently? Also it might be worth looking into finding someone with a large cold saw to cut them. Dont think it would be that expensive.

Well the only tools I have rightnow are a angle grinder and a corded and cordless drill. Ive been looking into getting a drill press to cut the holes and the miter saw to cut the end at an angle. I just want to be able to get a decent cut and pretty easy. I plan on making a few of these too

The cut and those holes are very easy to do if you have the right equipment, and difficult to do if you don't. Due to the size, I doubt you'd be able to do it with a 10" miter saw, and even a 12" is questionable. A genuine 14" cold saw would make short work of it, but they are pretty expensive. Dewalt makes a 14" multi-cutter that would probably work, but it's around $450. Farming out the cutting job to someone who already has a cold saw or suitable band saw may make more sense unless you are planning on cutting a lot of other large aluminum. Don't know exactly what size those holes are or the tolerances you need, but drilling a lot of ~1.75" hole in a ~$200 drill press gets old pretty quick, particularly if you can't find a hole saw in the size that you need. How many of these do you plan on making? If you're making these to make money, they should be cut/drilled with the proper machine- that means farming out the work or investing in the proper machinery.
    Those welds look great by the way.

-Matt

Yea how many do you plan to make? Find someone with a good bandsaw if its not more than 10 parts to be made. A good quality hole saw will make the big holes but chances are you could pay someone to cut them and the smaller holes fro not to much also.

Looks like you making some custom intakes. If your hoping to turn this into a money making prodject I would just farm out the cut work until I seen if they will sale as good as you hope. A good used band saw would be pretty easy and cheap to pick up but you might have to look around for a while. I just bought one for 40 dollars yesterday. ANd I see them for sale all the time around here. RIght now many people are needing money and looking in the paper and local trading post you can find a lot of good tools. Pawn shops are also a good place to look.

Hole saws will cut the big holes for you, but it will be slow and I dont know how long one would last. A mill is whats needed. SO going ot a small machine shop and getting them to cut them for you would be best. Getting a few priced as one job will help you get the work cheaper than if you just priced them one at a time.

Where do you live? YOu might find one of the guys on the forum willing to help you out.

Jess

Yea tjese are custom intakes. I plan to try and sell them. The issue im having is,finding a maching shop thats willing to,do,the,work. Ive called all the shops in my area and none are willing to, their excuse is,they,are,to,busy or dont do one off items just,commercial. Its aggrivating thats why im at a point of just doing it myself. I only have material for one intake and ill keep it once it done seeing how it come out if ita not,as great as I want but than again idk what machings to use on a budget

sorry, forgot last night. The max size for a 45 degree cut on a 14" saw is 3 1/4" I'm thinking you are going to need a big band saw to do that. Will the company you buy the material from cut it for you?

Read some of the other posts. Did you make the completed intakes that you have in the the first pictures? I only ask because you said you only had enough material for one, and you don't have the tools to make one. There are a few issues you are going to run into once you get them cut. You will need some type of a milling machine to bore the holes. Customers are going to expect a really high quality product, and that is going to require accurate holes. It would be really difficult to even set up the part on a drill press. I used a large hole saw on 1/4" aluminum the other day, looked like crap. finished it up with a boring head. Also the flange welded to the other end is a CNC only job, unless you can buy them.

I've cut aluminum tubes before on an angle on my Makita 10" sliding compound miter saw. I just checked and it looks like it would probably cut your material but might be close. I use the blade that comes with it, no lube, and it works fine. The finish is better than what I've seen come off of metal cutting bandsaws.
    CNC mill build thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertical_mill_lathe_project_log/110305-gantry_mill.html

Well right now im speaking to a shop that contacted me on here so hopefully the quotes come back pretty good. I know I do want to provide a quality product thats why ive decided to try and work with this shop. I appreciate everyones feedback and opinions.