587,507 active members*
2,621 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

CNC plasma build, or bust.

Well, I guess this is like stepping off the plane and pulling the chord, maybe not. It seems strange announcing what I would like to build. However, I would be a fool not to share my building experience with others. What I mean, is that all the information I possess about building a CNC plasma table has been directly received from sites like this, and so on and so forth. I’m so grateful that the internet exists and I'm able to prosper from others. With this all being said, I go forth.

The thought process on how I'm going to create a CNC plasma table has been addicting and time consuming to say the least. I am constantly going up and down on my build’s, "wish list". When all is done and said, I come to the same chilling fact that I have to build the CNC with the least amount of resources. However, the best resource I have is free, that's knowledge from folks like you. I welcome any and all opinions, also criticisms to say the least.

The plan is to have a three-foot by five-foot working CNC plasma table when finished. The main frame will be three inches by three inches square steel tubing. The gantry’s main beam will also be the same, respectfully. The rail system will, no doubt be a four inch width by a hundredth and eight-five thousands thick cold rolled piece of, well, I believe ten-eighteen mild steel at this moment. Carriage for the rails will be complemented by using products from “CNC Parts” company. Of course, this may change too, depending on how conservative I’m being that very day. I’m not trying to avoid the “Z” (zeeeeeee(trying to be funny)) item but, I might have something rolled up my sleeves on that subject, more to come. Electronics powering and driving this table will be 640 ounce steppers and such from Candcnc. Their Digital Torch Height Control II(DTHC II) board is a must for this guy.

I’m thinking this is a good start for now, more to come.

Someone asked me why I don't build it four-feet wide instead of three-feet? They also asked, which one was going to be the gantry? This was my response.

You know, you're right, the wine does certainly cloud the mind sometimes but, it's so fun. I can not tell you how many times I have bounced back and fourth, from three-feet to four-feet and so on. A lot, that has to do with this, is that I'm hopeful when I can get the business on track again, I will be able to create a five by ten foot table in lieu of the smaller one(I know,...I know). Your not even going to believe what I'm building the motor mount/drives out of. I'm not even going to tell you, in fear of being laughed at. If it's successful, I'll share it.

The logical choice was to make the shortest "arm" the gantry. This will be a three-inch by three-inch, one-hundred and twenty-five thousand thick piece of 6065 T5 aluminum. I’ll heat treat the aluminum and change it to “T6”. I know, I know, I’m cheap.

Anyone ever use the ABEC “9” bearings, instead of the “7”? It was just a thought as the nines are probably way overkill.

OK, I had the opportunity to use a FlowJet at an associates job yesterday, and for fun I created these parts on the fly. I basically, had twenty-minutes to create the file and about one-hour of machine use. I guessed on the bolt pattern spacing for the MEMA 23 steppers I had laying around. Boy, wouldn't that be great if these work.

I painted the parts with flat black and red paint from a spray can. Hmmm, this opens up a whole new thought process.

Here is a short HD video I made to share these parts with you. ...And yes, sound quality is horrible and so are some of the facts I mentioned, sorry.

I meant .125" and not .185" on the spacer. Too much wine that night.

Getting ready to purchase the Everlast Power Pro 205, Any comments?

Quote Originally Posted by arewehavingfun View Post
    Getting ready to purchase the Everlast Power Pro 205, Any comments?
    My vote--spend more up front on the plasma unit, it will pay for itself later. I personally went with a Hypertherm Powermax 45.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by I Lean View Post
    My vote--spend more up front on the plasma unit, it will pay for itself later. I personally went with a Hypertherm Powermax 45.
    Yes, that is a nice plasma cutter but, a little out of my budget.

OK, after much thought and research I have decided on purchasing a PowerPlasma 50 from Everlast. For the money I have, it's my best bet.

I'll do an un-boxing when I get it.

Joe

Here is an idea of some of the stuff I have so far. I also have the stock steel. I was able to purchase the square tubing for $42 for a twenty-four foot piece.

In the picture are part of the carriages. I got scrap steel for those for nothing. There are six-teen ABEC 7 bearings with bronze bearings for $13. The rest of the hardware was $7.42.

I'll post the "Z" axis picture when finished.

It was brought to my attention that the Everlast PowerPlasma 60C would probably be a better fit for what I have in mind. I went over to their web site and was pleased to see that the "CNC" type torch is included with the unit. The cost is a little bit more than I planed on spending but, it may be worth the extra expense.

I wholeheartedly agree that using a straight barrel machine style torch is a far better choice for cutting machines as compared to the use of a hand torch for mechanized applications.

I cannot help but notice that you have posted similar posts on multiple sites regarding your choices of plasma cutting systems for your cnc machine build. Can you eleborate on the technical reasons behind going with your choices....or is it simply because the Everlast plasma systems are far less expensive?...or is there another reason?

It would be interesting to compare duty cycles, kilowatt outputs, cut thickness between brands.....as well as to listen to some end user feedback from those that have used the various brands of plasma on their cnc machines.

Best regards, and good luck with your machine build!

Jim

It was brought to my attention that the Everlast PowerPlasma 60C would probably be a better fit for what I have in mind. I went over to their web site and was pleased to see that the "CNC" type torch is included with the unit. The cost is a little bit more than I planed on spending but, it may be worth the extra expense.

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree that using a straight barrel machine style torch is a far better choice for cutting machines as compared to the use of a hand torch for mechanized applications.

I cannot help but notice that you have posted similar posts on multiple sites regarding your choices of plasma cutting systems for your cnc machine build. Can you eleborate on the technical reasons behind going with your choices....or is it simply because the Everlast plasma systems are far less expensive?...or is there another reason?

It would be interesting to compare duty cycles, kilowatt outputs, cut thickness between brands.....as well as to listen to some end user feedback from those that have used the various brands of plasma on their cnc machines.

Best regards, and good luck with your machine build!

Jim
    Jim, I'm just a guy trying to buy a plasma machine for a good price for my cnc. I originally joined a forum called "plasma Spider" but, after having a bad experience there, I would not recommend that place to anyone. I Then went over to the Welding Web because they have a sponsored forum by Everlast. They have been extremely helpful to me and above all, very kind. So, if your asking me why Everlast, that would be an easy one. On the other hand, I'm really surprised that you are a moderator here considering your aggressive behavior at the Welding Web.

I guess I can get offended pretty fast when you have the nerve to ask me if there is another reason why I'm here. Shame on you.

Sorry about my rant.

I am not a moderator here. I am not all all sure why you think I have been aggressive at the Welding Web site. the posts from me are all there....and are 100% related to helping answer your questions. It seems that answers that are from anyone that is not an Everlast employee (I am well known on all of the forums to work for Hypertherm!) seem unacceptable to you. I have not pushed any product from my company....only offered technical perspective regarding your question on consumable life as well as the offer of advice reagrding your machine build. I guess you can't help all of the posters all the time!

It is clear to me that you are happy with your choice of system. No further advice necessary!

Regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

Jim, I'm just a guy trying to buy a plasma machine for a good price for my cnc. I originally joined a forum called "plasma Spider" but, after having a bad experience there, I would not recommend that place to anyone. I Then went over to the Welding Web because they have a sponsored forum by Everlast. They have been extremely helpful to me and above all, very kind. So, if your asking me why Everlast, that would be an easy one. On the other hand, I'm really surprised that you are a moderator here considering your aggressive behavior at the Welding Web.

I guess I can get offended pretty fast when you have the nerve to ask me if there is another reason why I'm here. Shame on you.

Sorry about my rant.

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    I am not a moderator here. I am not all all sure why you think I have been aggressive at the Welding Web site. the posts from me are all there....and are 100% related to helping answer your questions. It seems that answers that are from anyone that is not an Everlast employee (I am well known on all of the forums to work for Hypertherm!) seem unacceptable to you. I have not pushed any product from my company....only offered technical perspective regarding your question on consumable life as well as the offer of advice reagrding your machine build. I guess you can't help all of the posters all the time!

It is clear to me that you are happy with your choice of system. No further advice necessary!

Regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm
    Well,
    Reading the name "JimColt" under the word Moderators for this forum kind of was a give away. Maybe there is another Jim Colt.

Yes, staying away from my threads would be a good start.

Thank You!

Well.....I was not aware that I was a moderator, and I have never participated in any moderation....partly because this is a site that needs very little in the form of moderation.....but I have been on this site for many years! I will watch your threads on every site, and if additional information, or corrections to your information seem necessary....I will use my right to chime in, rest assured! It is becoming more clear to me that your intent with your posts is not to seek advice!

Jim

Well,
    Reading the name "JimColt" under the word Moderators for this forum kind of was a give away. Maybe there is another Jim Colt.

Yes, staying away from my threads would be a good start.

Thank You!

Thanks for the advice Joe. You are a strange dude!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Jim, you may have some of the people fooled but, not me.

Please mind your own business. That is a warning!

Joe

I'm sorry you all had to read this. Sorry about my rant. I just had enough.

Joe

Plasma Purchase!!!!

Well,

After all the silly stuff I would like to chime in my two sense. I was very close to buying a hypertherm jim but I had a few reasons that drove me away. Some are facts and others are opinions by my personal experiences. 1) price was higher 2) Takes a little while to get a hyp. right away, they are backed up 3) technical support and sales was lacking knowledge in my opinion compared to TD 4) warranty was better

Do I think that hypertherm makes a good machine yes i do. But was the juice worth the squeeze not for me this time around maybe next. I ended up with the cutmaster 82... Its an awesome machine...

Are We Having Fun Yet, what was your reasons you went with everlast. I did take a look at them...

. On the other hand, I'm really surprised that you are a moderator here considering your aggressive behavior at the Welding Web.
    AFAIK we don't have a moderator here by the name of Jim Colt???
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin407 View Post
    Well,

After all the silly stuff I would like to chime in my two sense. I was very close to buying a hypertherm jim but I had a few reasons that drove me away. Some are facts and others are opinions by my personal experiences. 1) price was higher 2) Takes a little while to get a hyp. right away, they are backed up 3) technical support and sales was lacking knowledge in my opinion compared to TD 4) warranty was better

Do I think that hypertherm makes a good machine yes i do. But was the juice worth the squeeze not for me this time around maybe next. I ended up with the cutmaster 82... Its an awesome machine...

Are We Having Fun Yet, what was your reasons you went with everlast. I did take a look at them...
    Hi Dustin,
    Well, there are two reasons for the most part. One was economics and the second was that a lot of people seem to like them. After reading endless posts about Everlast from different forums, I also discovered that they appear to have very good customer service. However, I learned if your going to ask questions about Everlast, prepare to get an ear full.

Joe

Those are all good reasons for buying a particular plasma system. There may be some that would debate or argue your points!

The Cutmaster 82 is a decent plasma system.

Jim Colt

Page 1 of 2 12