587,434 active members*
3,212 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

new to cnc and need help

hi,

i'm new to cnc, and i'd like some advices. I'm planning to buy the zen toolwork 7x7 in orer to mill pcb. this kit is rather cheap, and many people say that it's pretty good. the problem is that the only computer i've got is a macbook pro, so there are no entry for the printer cable, only usb. can i use an adaptator like this one [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-16899-IEEE-1284-Parallel/dp/B000UX21PY/ref=pd_sim_misc_4]Amazon.com: Cables To Go 16899 USB To DB25 IEEE-1284 Parallel Printer Adapter Cable, 6 Feet: Electronics[/ame] ??

also, mach3 don't exist on mac, so is there an equivalent or must i make a dual boot to run it??

thanks.

I have been told that connecting with that kind of cable can be problematic but i don't have any experience with it myself. Make sure you check it out carefully.

If I were to use a mac I'd definitely partition the harddrive and install windows for any cnc applications. I am not aware of any good CAD/CAM/Controller software for mac. I'd also use bootcamp for the partition which means you need to shut the computer down when you want to change Operating System, but it maintains the speed of your computer as opposed to using Parallel or equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by xantopwn View Post
    hi,

i'm new to cnc, and i'd like some advices. I'm planning to buy the zen toolwork 7x7 in orer to mill pcb. this kit is rather cheap, and many people say that it's pretty good. the problem is that the only computer i've got is a macbook pro, so there are no entry for the printer cable, only usb. can i use an adaptator like this one Amazon.com: Cables To Go 16899 USB To DB25 IEEE-1284 Parallel Printer Adapter Cable, 6 Feet: Electronics ??

also, mach3 don't exist on mac, so is there an equivalent or must i make a dual boot to run it??

thanks.
    Hi,
    I have some info on the USB to CNC at my site.
    CNC Projects
    Look on the USB page.
    Cheers
    Bob A
    CNC Programming Software Tools

to be honest, i already have a mach3 license, and the usb controller is only remotable with the software you provide... Can i use your usb controler with mach3?? can i buy only the controller?

thanks

nvm, finaly, i'll bought an old pc for 30 euros, wich is much cheaper...