587,739 active members*
3,111 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > Tool path not on plane

Tool path not on plane

Hi again
    why when a toolpath is computed it doesn't touch the plane that it will be working on? It's offset around an 1/8" or so above the part
    Notice the planar surface is sitting on the part that will be milled
    The lower bead z level finish sits high and also the toolpath that is between the lines is set high above the 2 lines that were selected
    Is this normal? I check for settings, material left is set a 0
    Thanks for any info on this
    Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Madcam_paths.jpg   Madcam_paths_2.jpg   Madcam_paths_3.jpg  

Ok, I found out the 2nd problem where the toolpath was above the 2 lines, I needed to select the model before I created the toolpath, now it's flat on the part, maybe the 3D path is right, I guess a test run on the router will tell all

Why don't you use the simulator?

I tried that and it looks ok but the problem is that even on the fine setting for the simulation it's hard to tell if it's dead on, with the material at 24"x50" the resolution is not very good
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Madcam_paths_4.jpg  

Ok just make sure your controller is setup correctly for machine bed size, if its -## as opposed 0 then the program will look offset

Hi Wombilly
    So my other software like Bobcad wants all of the material below 0, does it matter for madcam? If I set the bottom of the material on the workplane do I 0 off the bed, if I set the material below the 0 (the top of the material at 0) then do I 0 off the top of the material like I do in my other software?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodworker24 View Post
    Hi Wombilly
    So my other software like Bobcad wants all of the material below 0, does it matter for madcam? If I set the bottom of the material on the workplane do I 0 off the bed, if I set the material below the 0 (the top of the material at 0) then do I 0 off the top of the material like I do in my other software?
    That is correct, to help you understand, download from www.Vectric.co.uk or com their trial vcarve, you has diagrams on material setup.

My mail is [email protected] if you want to contact me direct

Quote Originally Posted by Wombilly View Post
    That is correct, to help you understand, download from www.Vectric.co.uk or com their trial vcarve, you has diagrams on material setup.

My mail is [email protected] if you want to contact me direct
    Thanks Wombilly and everyone else, I have Vcarve, Aspire, Cut3-D, BobCad and Photo Carve and love working with them, easy to use when it comes to doing the toolpaths, the thing that confused me was that it didn't show any toolpath from the 0,0,0 leading to the part like all the others so I wasn't sure where it was starting from, now that is out of the way I should be ready to go.
    Thanks again and if I run into something that I can't figure out I'll be back
    Gary

I had some time today to start cutting my radius moulding and all I have to say is "AWESOME"!!! I've been running my router for about 3 years now and buying Rhino with MadCam has been an investment that I wish I would've done 3 years ago. I'll post some pics when I get it finished
    Thanks for some very good software and of course the people on this forum that got me started in the right direction
    Gary