587,791 active members*
2,863 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Mori Seiki Machines > Mori Seiki lathes > Anyone else know these lathes do this?

Anyone else know these lathes do this?

So i recently found out that the sl-603 i run has a feature that allows you to hand-jog the turret around. VERY usefull to check clearance for x axis live tooling! Any other "old indian tricks" i dont know these lathes will do?

Hmmm it has a programmable tailstock.. It will take me a bit to think of anything else,since I use em all the time I dont know of anything that would be new..can you make a short list of the opts you know it has and I can fill in the blanks.
    Good Luck~!:cheers:

Most all of the newer lathes that have the servo driven turret can do the handle jog trick. It is a great option that never really seemed to get passed on to the customers. Don't know why.

You can even manually jog the gear shifter, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you loose shifting position. I don't remember the 603's being able to move the turret with handle unless you were in field adjust mode and set the D data. This was usually used to re-teach the turret position. The one handy thing Mori did if you ask me was to assign an Mcode for the chip conveyors. That sure saves coolant in the chip stream !

Quote Originally Posted by jp41558 View Post
    Most all of the newer lathes that have the servo driven turret can do the handle jog trick. It is a great option that never really seemed to get passed on to the customers. Don't know why.

Usually it's because they don't know it exists or they can't see a need as few dealers actually set up a machine on a regular basis. The same thing happened with Fanuc's Custom Macro B option. For years, no one knew about it, because none of the dealers or heck, even the tool builders, could see a use for something so "computer-y" on a metal cutting machine. Now, it's rare to see a Fanuc CNC without it, although some bottom feeder tool builders will still have it as an option to keep the price down.

In the shop where I used to work, there was a Takisawa V-1 VMC with an OM-B Fanuc. It had macros and for a good 3 years I had NO IDEA those things were there. Once I found out what you could do with them, I used them constantly.

Here in the UK I always show customers this "trick" and it's been around for a longtime!