Quote Originally Posted by smallblock View Post
I had the original 17-20 XMTC model from 1994- it served me well for many years. I agree with flyin chips about the milling limitations, it was like all those original style 3 in 1 units which had no vertical or lateral support for the tailstock end of the mill head. A few years back I upgraded to the Patriot which addressed all those milling issues. It is more rigid than most of the small mills on the market. I'm seriously looking at the new VFD Patriot which has the P-4 ball screws and 3 phase motors.
Price wise, I was lucky that I sold my 17-20 before the economy crashed and got nearly the full original price. In today's economy, 1/2 of the new price is probably correct.
Thanks smallblock for your contribution. This is a 2003 Eldorado that came from the factory with CNC.

If half the original price is good, than I'm getting a great deal (he's asking a quarter of the original price for a non-cnc mill).

The lathe really does not interest me. The only thing I will be doing is using the cnc to mill aluminum parts. However, when I look at these desktop cnc machines (like sherline, taig, etc.) a 900+ lbs unit seems rather sturdy.