587,424 active members*
3,182 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Manual?

Manual?

Greetings again.

As I use NX somewhat infrequently, sometimes things get a little hazy if it's been a while. I find the Igetit lessons good but was also wondering whether there is a reference manual out there?

What do most people use when they need a little memory jogger about how to accomplish something, particularly in the manufacturing environment?

Many thanks,

Tre.

Smile Help Library

In my case, using NX5, I go to the Help Document's, which the IT people have created a icon on my desktop, named "UG NX5 docs". I get brain fart's, sometime's, in my old age .
    Regard's,
    Harold

Hi Harold and thanks for the reply.
    I use the help file too, but sometimes it would also be nice to refer to a reference manual aswell. Different authors often have different ways of explaining things, sometimes in a way which just clicks better with a certain individual, hence the question.
    Again thanks for the advice!
    If anyone knows of a reference manual, particularly for manufacturing I would be quite interested.
    Cheers,
    Tre.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebol View Post
    I use the help file too, but sometimes it would also be nice to refer to a reference manual aswell.
    What are you looking for in a reference manual that you are not seeing in the documentation?
    Mark Rief
    Siemens PLM

Hi Mark.
    Sorry about the delay, I've been away.
    The documentation relies on the user knowing the NX name for the function to be able to search for it. New users or users transitioning from other systems may know the same function by another name which a search of the documentation may not reveal.
    Thus I was thinking about an alphabetised list of where to find which function inclusive of possible variations on the theme. For example, someone wishing to remove material at increasing depths:

Multiple Depths_____Cutting Parameters/Multiple Passes/Multiple Depths
    Floor Thickness_____Cutting Parameters/Multiple Passes/Multiple Depths
    Pocket Depth______Cutting Parameters/Multiple Passes/Multiple Depths

All are the same function, the first is the NX name, the others are alternative descriptions possibly found else where in the list. In this way, there are alternative ways of finding the same function and if descriptions are used which are in common use in other CAM applications it will help users transitioning. It will also help users who are rusty or moving up into a higher level package in finding functions more easily until they become tuned in to the NX specific name for the function required and the program layout.

Essentially just compiling a list with alternative names for things in NX.
    Just food for thought.

Cheers,
    Tre.

Have you tired the command finder? This is how we deal with it at the high level in the UI. If you enter a well known term for something, it should show you the NX name for it.

When searching the help, you can just enter a term like "depth", you don't need to know the exact command. I can check how it handles synonyms.
    Mark Rief
    Siemens PLM

Funny

In typical unigraphics fashion, required knowledge seems to be hidden underneath several layers of cryptic mystery to make using the software seem more difficult than it really is. Finding real world examples of what each operation actually does is nearly impossible unless you want to pay big bucks for a redundant training course you really don't need.

I just spent an hour digging around the web and found nothing....

Unigraphics NX5 and NX7 book / manual

for a book on Unigraphics NX5 and NX7 try
    Dr. Ming C. Leu
    the thing to remember with Unigraphics is not all toolbars and menu bar items are visible depending on "role" you start with
    personally i turn all menu bar and tool bar items / icons on or visible. nothing worse than looking for an icon that is not even turned on or visible.
    also tool bars and menu bars change depending on if you are in modeling, drafting, manufacturing, etc
    i have been going through the NX5 book and other than a few minor errors i have been getting through the tutorials

Many thanks for the info! :rainfro:

I'll digest those manuals over the next little while.

Cheers,

Tre.