587,887 active members*
3,182 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle Change Over

I just picked up a Series II rigid ram R2E4 CNC mill (BOSS 8). It came with a QS200 spindle but all of my tool holder fit the Erickson QC 30. What will it take to change the mill over to QC 30?

A replacement spindle assembly. It will slide right in after you remove the setscrew at the rear of the quill and unscrew the nose piece. Knock the old one out with a broom stick from the top. Note that CNC spindle are longer than standard spindles because of the ball screw for the Z axis.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thank you George for the info. I was hoping that I would only have to change the spindle end but guess I'm not that lucky,

A new bare spindle is very expensive. I suggest a spindle from Ebay that is a assembly with bearings (cartridge). It will take minutes to swap out. Otherwise you will have to transfer the bearings and spacers to the other spindle and possibly grind the spacers to adjust preload correctly.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Have a bare spindle

ASTR,

I have a bare BP spindle with a Erickson 30 Quick Switch out of a Series I
    R2E3. Our situation was the opposite from yours. You would have to verify
    that it would fit a Series II. Ours is a 2HP head. I don't know if they are the same. The length from the Main bearing shoulder to the end is 24", Main bearing shaft size is 35mm, top bearing is 30mm, spline shaft is about .992", six splines, total spline length 10" including tailout. Maybe George or someone else can tell if this will work. Anyway it is available if you are interested. If so post a reply and I will check back to this thread.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Dyad1 View Post
    ASTR,

I have a bare BP spindle with a Erickson 30 Quick Switch out of a Series I
    R2E3. Our situation was the opposite from yours. You would have to verify
    that it would fit a Series II. Ours is a 2HP head. I don't know if they are the same. The length from the Main bearing shoulder to the end is 24", Main bearing shaft size is 35mm, top bearing is 30mm, spline shaft is about .992", six splines, total spline length 10" including tailout. Maybe George or someone else can tell if this will work. Anyway it is available if you are interested. If so post a reply and I will check back to this thread.

Gary
    I'm definitely interested. I also have a 2 HP head. Unfortunately, I'm up to my ears in projects so it will be a while before I can pull my spindle. When I do, I'll definitely get back to you.

Andy

I pulled the spindle. It was as easy as George said. Thanks George! I haven't pulled the bearings off as I'd hate to damage them.

Gary: As far as I can tell without pulling the bearings, my dimensions match the dimensions that you gave for you R2E3 Bridgeport so it looks like the spindles are interchangeable. Sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by machintek View Post
    A new bare spindle is very expensive. I suggest a spindle from Ebay that is a assembly with bearings (cartridge). It will take minutes to swap out. Otherwise you will have to transfer the bearings and spacers to the other spindle and possibly grind the spacers to adjust preload correctly.

George
    Thanks George! I did as you suggested - found a spindle with bearings on Craigs List. Swap was easy. Now to proceed with getting the mill up and going.