587,913 active members*
3,777 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Unhappy

Hi Guys,

Any reason why I can't see the last 6 posts until I go post reply ... then if i scroll down I can see the all.

I get an email notification but can't see any of the replys when I log in

EDIT...OK works in linear mode not in hybrid.

Hi Guys,

Discussion to date has been great and very helpful. This is a summary of where I am at:

1. Ridgid tapping YES
    2. Probe system YES
    3. Extra memory NO
    4. Intuative progamming NO
    5. HSM NO ... will try during 200hrs and if it makes a difference for what i am doing I will upgrade and get code.
    6. Side mount ATC YES if I can get a good deal.
    7. Tooling BT40
    8. Programmable coolant nozzle YES (edit)

Next round of questions:

1. Can someone point me in a direction of some information pertaining to tooling, specifically the difference between 2 flut end mills, 4 etc and what applications they apply too.
    2. I know this is avery subjective question but what would you guys recommend as a starting out tool list i.e. what size end mills, types etc.

I guess with both these questions I am trying to work out my cutters/tools which will then determine the tool holders I need to purchase.

Gabe ... doesn't using a propane torch to shrink fit harden, soften or make the tool holder go brittle

Quote Originally Posted by SDS510 View Post

Gabe ... doesn't using a propane torch to shrink fit harden, soften or make the tool holder go brittle
    The induction heating element in a shrink fit unit and a the flame from a propane torch do exactly the same thing to the tool holder. Heating isn't used to soften or harden the tool holder, it is used to expand the tool holder (since the tool holder and the tool have different rates of expansion).

Should You be using Shrink Fit Tool Holders? | The CNC Report

H13 steel, used in Techniks and Parlec shrink fit holders, should be able to undergo a lot of thermal cycles (as opposed to 8620 used in typical non-shrink fit tool holders).

However, propane torches probably won't work with a HSS tool, as you need to heat the holder a lot faster since HSS is closer in thermal expansion to a typical holder than carbide is. This is why you will see heat shrink units that either work with carbide (cheaper) or carbide and HSS (more expensive, faster).

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Newell View Post
    The induction heating element in a shrink fit unit and a the flame from a propane torch do exactly the same thing to the tool holder. Heating isn't used to soften or harden the tool holder, it is used to expand the tool holder (since the tool holder and the tool have different rates of expansion).
    Thanks Gabe, I understood it wasn't to harden or soften the material but would imagine the process it not dis-similar to that used to harden steel albeit without the quenching.

I would think getting the tool in wouldn't be a problem but removing it should it break would be. I guess given the amount of work I intend doing maybe an alternative to buying would be paying a shop to remove them when required.

I am considering the shrink fit for the finishing tools hence breaking and wear should be minimised anyway.