587,917 active members*
3,493 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > Is it possible to machine letters in Aluminum??

Is it possible to machine letters in Aluminum??

Is it possible to machine (indented) letters in Aluminum. If so, how do I find someone in my area that can help me do this? Any certain type of machine required to do it? Also, how thick does the aluminum need to be? Please direct me~Thanks!

b24copilotniece

Yes you can cut anything you want into aluminum, depending on what kind of quality you want as to the type of machine it is machined on, do you have a photo or sketch of what you want, this will help as to what the job could be done on as well
    Mactec54

Yes, its called a trophy shop.

We've done quite a bit of that. As mactec said, if you have a picture or sketch that would help quite a bit. I'll attach a few pics later. Busy runnin machines.

Mike

Find someone in your area that has a cnc mill...probably a job shop would suit your needs. It is very easy to do...but the more complicated the more you'll pay.

cnc router can cut or engrave on metal

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample from customer2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	133772[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sample from customer1.jpg  
    cnc router/laser cutting and engraving machine/cnc plasma cutting machine manufacturer
    www.eternalcnc.com ; [email protected]

OK~thanks to all here
    Forgive me because I know nothing about machining...
    I don't have a picture, but I could come up with a sketch but I don't know how good it would be
    So, if I were going to search in the phone listings for someone in my area that could help me, what would I look for? I mean, what type of company? I drew a blank when attempting to search before...like I said I know nothing about this field of expertise.

Look for someone who does custom cnc machining. Your letters will have to be drawn on CAD software first and most cnc shops will also have that capabilities. Where are you located? If you have any problems I could do it for you but I'm in Canada (Ontario) shipping may cost you.

To clarify...search "custom cnc machining" in your area and have a couple of smaller shops quote it. Most of the big shops will laugh at you and won't waist their time on your project or will charge you a lot. Like I said before I can help you depending on where you are and how much shipping would be.

Some key words that willl find you a metal shop are: Machining, welding, fabrication, metal art, Aluminum, Steel, Stainless steel

I agree with KCA 324, there are several people/businesses represented here that can do this type of work. I'd suggest posting your sketch along with a RFQ (request for quote). Keep in mind if you don't post your sketch, you probably won't get many quotes if any.

Hope that helps ya,
    Mike

OK thanks again~
    More. If the letters are carved/indented in the piece, does my CAD drawing have to be in 3D or can it be 2-dimensional? And in the drawing does it need to contain a drawing of the metal piece or do I just need the letters only? Also, any ballpark idea as to how much this would cost me if I already have the metal piece?? And also in what format does the drawing need to be, can it be a *.dwg file? So many questions.