587,243 active members*
3,229 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Pocketing Problems in Build 1.3
Page 1 of 2 12

Pocketing Problems in Build 1.3

Anyone else having problems with the Pocketing operation in Build 1.3?

I updated to 1.3 because I suddenly couldn't open old projects from v2007 in 1.2. That fixed one problem, but now I have new, much worse problems. The Pocketing operation in 1.3 seems to be badly broken.

The behavior isn't perfectly consistent, but it's generally some variation of this:

Attempting to create a Pocketing operation generates a kernel access violation. When I close the model, I get a message “Cannot focus a disabled or invisible window.” When I try to reload the model, the error message “The technologist section cannot be loaded” appears and all machining ops from the previous session are lost.

Sprut updates have been coming out almost daily within the last week, so it looks like they know they have a real problem. None of the recent updates fixes the problem I'm seeing. At this point, I'm about ready to go back to 1.2.

Anyone else?

Hi,

I don't have an answer on your issue but thought I would add a comment on the Sprutcam builds.

Lately I have noticed that the SC website is listing what I would call daily builds and not actual released versions. These use to be available on a FTP site which were mainly bug fixes to specific problems. You would report a problem and usually several days later they would email and tell you a patched version was available for download.

After reading several internet postings I believe people are under the impression these version are released versions rather than daily untested (or limited tested) builds. Being a software developer the company I work for does a similar thing. Each night all of the checked in source files are re-compiled and a new version is created. In our case these are for internal testing and not general public release. I am pretty sure this is what you are seeing on the SC site. If this is what they are doing I can see many frustrated uses if they don't understand what is really going on.

My frustration with SC at times has been what you are experiencing. In one version a feature works great and a couple versions later it's broke. At times it feels like we the customers are the real test engineers, but without the knowledge of what specifically was to have changed or been fixed.

At work we call this 'Living on the Edge'.... At times it's ok, but not when you are trying to use the software to do a real job.

Thanks,
    Robert

Robert,

I don't doubt that you've pretty much sized up the situation.

You know, if I had a software company doing daily builds, I don't think I'd make them accessible to the general public. But that's just me . . .

dk,
    What build number are you running?
    Didn't you recently download v1.3 from Tormach?
    I am still running v1.2 build 39989RC and it wont open v2007 projects. After Eric advised the current Tormach SC build fixes that problem I downloaded from Tormach but have not installed it so far. If it is giving pocketing problems I might wait until a newer build is offered by Tormach.

By the way Eric, if you are reading this perhaps you should put the build number in Tormach's SC file name.
    Thanks,
    Bevin

Bevin,

If your version of Sprut is working, DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!!!

I updated from Build 1.2 to 1.3 because 1.2 stopped opening projects from v2007. I thought at first that things were fine, but then Build 1.3 started acting flaky (kernel access violations, machining operations being dropped from projects, plus error messages I had never seen before). Right now, Sprut refuses to recognize the dongle, and I'm locked out. I've rolled the installation all the way back to Build 0.8 but no joy.

Eric is on the case, and I'm confident he'll get to the bottom of it. I am powerfully p*ssed at Sprut.

Quote Originally Posted by dkaustin View Post
    Bevin,

If your version of Sprut is working, DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!!!

I updated from Build 1.2 to 1.3 because 1.2 stopped opening projects from v2007. I thought at first that things were fine, but then Build 1.3 started acting flaky (kernel access violations, machining operations being dropped from projects, plus error messages I had never seen before). Right now, Sprut refuses to recognize the dongle, and I'm locked out. I've rolled the installation all the way back to Build 0.8 but no joy.

Eric is on the case, and I'm confident he'll get to the bottom of it. I am powerfully p*ssed at Sprut.
    I had the same problem SC told me I had to install the original disc that came with my machine so the "dongle" would be recognized. Then install the update and it worked, well kinda fine.

Welcome to my world. Once it started no matter what I installed or tried, it would not work. I just bought VisualMill and I can't even open my SC projects anymore just to get the info needed on my speeds and feeds I had setup. All machining operations are gone in my files.

3 days and counting with no access violations

An update:

Eric got my dongle working again, basically had to clear everything out and reinstall Sprut. So I can at least open and run the program.

The bad news is I'm still getting access violations and machining ops are disappearing from my projects. This is a major SNAFU.

Sprutcam, are you listening?

An update:

Eric got my dongle working again, basically had to clear everything out and reinstall Sprut. So I can at least open and run the program.

The bad news is I'm still getting access violations and machining ops are disappearing from my projects. This is a major SNAFU.

Sprutcam, are you listening?
    Hello Dennis, sorry for the slow response. I have not read the SprutCAM forum for a while.
    What build of SprutCAM do you actually use?
    I have tried to repeat your problem on my computer using SC Build 1.3 Rev 42796.
    I've just created a pocketing operation, and nothing has happened.
    Could you describe exactly a sequence of actions leading to access violation etc?
    I don't know, maybe the problem is with a dongle, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Live View Post
    Could you describe exactly a sequence of actions leading to access violation etc?
    I don't know, maybe the problem is with a dongle, maybe not.
    Does SC use HASP Sentinel? Very possible the dongle and something I have suspected for a while. Since it is the common denominator between both my computers that I can repeat this on.

From HASP Sentinel site.......I have had this issue popup before.

Current Known Issues:

Current issues with the Sentinel dongles include:

Problem: Unable to enter access code in - says it "can't write to the dongle" - but then the application starts up anyway!
    Workaround: This error seems to indicate that the dongle has been damaged, possibly due to a static charge which prevents the dongle from being written to or it accepting a new access code. Please contact support and let them know you received this error for a replacement dongle to be sent out to you.

Although nobody has produced the smoking gun, suspicion seems to be pointing at the dongle. Faulty dongle hardware is one possibility. Have any dongle/software compatibility issues been reported (e.g., Java or Adobe Air)?

Update: Just received an email from Vitali Burkov at SprutCAM. They attempted to run the project I sent them, and the pocketing operation generated an access violation. They are treating it as a programming bug and will address it in the next update to Build 1.3

Although nobody has produced the smoking gun, suspicion seems to be pointing at the dongle. Faulty dongle hardware is one possibility. Have any dongle/software compatibility issues been reported (e.g., Java or Adobe Air)?

Update: Just received an email from Vitali Burkov at SprutCAM. They attempted to run the project I sent them, and the pocketing operation generated an access violation. They are treating it as a programming bug and will address it in the next update to Build 1.3
    Access violations are hard enough to diagnose when you have the source code. Will keep my fingers crossed. While I have moved on to VisualMill I can still use SC for 4th access if they fix.

As far as the dongle issues. Most companies are moving to FlexLm type lic systems or server lic even. I use Houdini and it's great. I can install it on up to 3 computers and "return" a lic when I need to use on a separate computer. Lots easier and no problems with hardware USB ports.

I think you guys may be on to something, and I am looking into changing the dongle software that we are using. While it may be true that most companies are using the software that you cited Magnum (I have the ability to do software locks and server licenses) the standard for CAM systems is still the Hardware Dongle lock. Magnum if you would be interested I would like to set you up to use a software license and see if that helps stabilize your install. I would like to try this with 3 or 4 more guys that are having problems, so I can see if it makes any difference. Also if I get sprut to change to a different Dongle hardware I may send it to troubled customers to test it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Tormach View Post
    I think you guys may be on to something, and I am looking into changing the dongle software that we are using. While it may be true that most companies are using the software that you cited Magnum (I have the ability to do software locks and server licenses) the standard for CAM systems is still the Hardware Dongle lock. Magnum if you would be interested I would like to set you up to use a software license and see if that helps stabilize your install. I would like to try this with 3 or 4 more guys that are having problems, so I can see if it makes any difference. Also if I get sprut to change to a different Dongle hardware I may send it to troubled customers to test it.
    Sure send me the info.... You know my email

@dkaustin

Have you ever used an encrypted USB thumb drive?

Magnum, I have not used an encrypted USB drive, so far as I know.

FWIW, I downloaded and installed an updated HASP driver from the Aladdin/Safenet site. Made no difference in the problems I'm seeing.

Eric, I'd be interested in trying anything you might come up with. Although you were able to fix my Registration Lockout problem (many thanks for that!), I'm still seeing a lot of general flakiness (access violations, lost machining ops, tool holders not being seen in the tool table file, etc. etc.).

I'm not having any problems with any other program, so I'd be surprised if it's a hardware problem with my computer (bad memory, for instance).

Hello Dennis.

We have fixed the problem with loading of the pocketing operation in the build 7.1.3.
    We will let you know when the fix will be available.

Working with your project I have noticed some things in it not letting you get the best experience with SprutCAM.

1. The digits tolerance of the project should be 5 digits if you machine so small parts as in your project.
    It is set so in imperial default parameters. I do not recommend you to change this setting if you don't want to have tolerance problems in SprutCAM. In the actual project the toolpath generated by the 2d contouring operation looks awful just because you've set the digits tolerance to 3 digits in your project.

2. Why do you use a pocketing operation instead of a roughing waterline operation? When you have a 3d model it is much easier to use the roughing waterline operation for 2-2.5d-3d roughing. For the actual part the steps are as follows.
    1. Select the bottom face of the pocket you want to machine.
    2. Select the Roughing waterline operation from the <New> drop down.
    3. SprutCAM will automatically recognize the pocket and add it to the job assignment. It can recognize open pockets as well.
    4. Generate the toolpath.

3. The same approach you can use to create a 2d contouring operation. For your project just select a cylindrical face of a outer wall of the part and select the contouring operation from the <New> drop down. SprutCAM will automatically recognize the profile of the Boss/Pocket you've selected and add it to the job assignment as a <pocket> feature.

I think you can find some useful examples of this approach in the FBM folder in SprutCAM example projects. You may also read the <Mill machining->Operations setup->Using design and machining features in Job Assignment> chapter in the SprutCAM manual.

I have had my head

I have had my head gasket done 3 times and each time the same problems occur after a while

I have the tolerance set to 5 digits. Sometimes when opening an old project, it asks if I want to change the tolerance from 3 to 5 digits, and I always answer "yes". ( I believe the tolerance default was set to 3 digits in v2007.) If you found a tolerance value of 3 digits in my project, it means that the tolerance parameter is not being read and loaded properly. Is there some location other than AbstractMachine.xml where this parameter can hide?

I have the tolerance set to 5 digits. Sometimes when opening an old project, it asks if I want to change the tolerance from 3 to 5 digits, and I always answer "yes". ( I believe the tolerance default was set to 3 digits in v2007.) If you found a tolerance value of 3 digits in my project, it means that the tolerance parameter is not being read and loaded properly. Is there some location other than AbstractMachine.xml where this parameter can hide?
    It seems the tolerance in AbstractMachine.xml is a fake. Do not use it. You'd better set digits tolerance in the SprutCAM Setup window (Main menu->Tools->System setup->Measurement Units->Tolerance(Digits). This setting is stored in the SprutCAM.cfg file.

I for one vote "violently" that you keep a dongle option, even if you change to a software key for some/most users. The dongle is by far the most portable solution, allows the key to be transported off of a crashed computer system, does not require "pre-planning" when I leave for a trip, etc. The primary reason I began looking at SprutCAM is because BobCAD got rid of their dongle. I have found other items I really like in SprutCAM, but I really don't hope I lose the main reason I was looking at it in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 12