587,089 active members*
2,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

1920's monster lathe. $1500. worth it?

I was just about to fork over $1200 dollars for a Grizzly G0602 then i saw this old beast. It could use some TLC, but would make an awesome CNC conversion with some true american spirit. What is better a G0602, or this old fixer upper beast for a little more money? Can someone who knows lathes really well read through the article below and let me know what he/she thinks? This will be my first lathe, and i wouldn't mind fixing it up since its much much larger then the small bench top lathe i was previously looking at! Thank you!

G0602 10" x 22" Bench Top Metal Lathe

Below is the AD:

South Bend 13” x 72” Metal Lathe
    This is a late 20’s or early 30’s machine.3rd generation “O” series South Bend 13” x 72” Lathe S/N #37264 N from the late 1920’s or early 1930’s.

This lathe is in remarkably good condition. If you are looking for a piece of great American Iron here it is:
    Original black paint, never repainted
    Bearings smooth w no play
    Minimal backlash, compound, .005 - 006; top slide -002 - .003
    The bed has very little wear approx .001 - .002
    There is still 50% of the frosting on the bed and cross slide
    Everything works
    No broken gears
    Wired 110/220 single phase

For a vintage lathe this is in amazing almost original condition
    If sold seperately: Lathe and 3 jaw, $1,250 Steady, $150 Legs, $250 4 Jaw chuck, $100 I would only part out if the lathe is sold first.
    Read more about it here:
    Page Title
    And here:
    http://www.wswells.com/data/bulletin...200/bl_200.pdf

The lathe comes with:
    3 jaw 6” chuck
    4 jaw 10” chuck
    Thread dial
    Fixed steady
    Cast iron legs
    Chip Pan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Southbend13x72OSeries016.jpg   Southbend13x72OSeries015.jpg   Southbend13x72OSeries002.jpg   Southbend13x72OSeries006.jpg  

Southbend13x72OSeries007.jpg   Southbend13x72OSeries008.jpg   Southbend13x72OSeries009.jpg  

That SouthBend lathe should be restored not modified.

Nice find there! I would leave it in origional condition. If for nothing else but to keep it origional. I like the craftsmanship of vintage machines.

Quote Originally Posted by slowlearner View Post
    That SouthBend lathe should be restored not modified.
    I might go take a peek at it. It looks really heavy duty. Sounds like its fairly warn though. I don't know how much it would cost to get the ways reground or scraped.

Quote Originally Posted by br1 View Post
    Nice find there! I would leave it in origional condition. If for nothing else but to keep it origional. I like the craftsmanship of vintage machines.
    From the description do you think it sounds usable, or does it need a full out rebuild.

Looks like it has plain sleeve type spindle bearings. If that's the case, they may be worn. My old clunker lathe has plain spindle bearings, and believe me it's impossible to adjust it so that the spindle is loose enough to spin, yet not have any end play. I would rather buy a new usable lathe than try to restore mine. Then again if you like old stuff, go for it.

South Bend 13 x 72

Diyengineer,

We must be looking at the same lathe!
    South Bend 13 x 72 O Series Lathe S/N #37264 N
    I would offer $2,500.00, it looks great for its age.

JoeyB
    A doughnut a day keeps the doctor away.

I have a 1950's 14" SB. I would recommend that you let this one go. Its a nice lathe for the right person but not as a primary lathe for a beginner.

Nice lathe for a museum. Oil bronze spindle bearings are a PIA. Not a good CNC canidate at all, I would use a cheap chinese machine first, at least you can replace bearings on those. Most oil bronze bearing spindles are very low RPM, and as stated have lots of slop. Thats a $500 garage machine at best.

Yes i emailed him and he said he has owned it only for a couple weeks. "he doesn't need something that big". I call BS, and something is up with it. Nice looking lathe though. If it had real ball bearings i might give it a shot but like people have said those sleeve bearings are pretty outdated.

That is what he said below:

"As an FYI, the drive is non original, see pic and the forward v-way was ground for 3-4" at the headstock see pi so you could put your repair scraping skill to good use." (<== zero scraping skills haha)

I will let it go. Maybe someone else who is better equipped can use it.
    Thank you everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by joeybagadonuts View Post
    Diyengineer,

We must be looking at the same lathe!
    South Bend 13 x 72 O Series Lathe S/N #37264 N
    I would offer $2,500.00, it looks great for its age.

JoeyB
    Joey do you live in WA state? I believe we had this convo before haha.

Here are a few more pictures he sent me if anyone else is interested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails South bend 13 x 72 O Series 009.jpg   South bend 13 x 72 O Series 018.jpg   Cone Pulley V belt.jpg   SB 13 x 72 002.jpg  

Hi all, I've got a 1920/30 era Colchester Bantam, 10" swing, 32" between centres etc.

For CNC conversion.....don't wast your time....they are too limited in the need for speed and slideway requirements, but make a good hobby lathe for messing about in the garage workshop.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Hi all, I've got a 1920/30 era Colchester Bantam, 10" swing, 32" between centres etc.

For CNC conversion.....don't wast your time....they are too limited in the need for speed and slideway requirements, but make a good hobby lathe for messing about in the garage workshop.
    Ian.
    Thanks for the response! I bet with a little TLC she would make a great lathe in anyones garage, Just not mine haha. I passed up the deal. I'm sure someone else grabbed it in a second.

When I was in College I worked as a journeyman machinist before the days of CNC! LOL
    I left that career for engineering. Now I indulge my hobby and I find much use and pleasure using the older manual machines! In many cases I can machine a part faster than setting up a CNC part. And there is a certain craftsmanship about machining a part on an old machine. I laugh a the young guys who do not even know how to use them.

Old machines rule!

Quote Originally Posted by Autonow View Post
    When I was in College I worked as a journeyman machinist before the days of CNC! LOL
    I left that career for engineering. Now I indulge my hobby and I find much use and pleasure using the older manual machines! In many cases I can machine a part faster than setting up a CNC part. And there is a certain craftsmanship about machining a part on an old machine. I laugh a the young guys who do not even know how to use them.

Old machines rule!

I would love to learn the manual way how to do everything. I agree.

Some things I hate about old lathes is....small spindle bores, screwed chuck mounts, no reverse to spindle, soft tailstock barrels, bronze head bearings, no quick change screw cutting/ feed boxes, flat belt drive and back gearing, short crosslides, flat Vee beds, flat square beds, drip feed oilers, lead screws for feeding (no seperate feed shaft to saddle).

Compare a current Chinese lathe, $2500 price new, of about 10" swing with 32" between centres to all the "hate list", and you start to wonder why old lathes appeal....they're worn out and cheap that's why.

By preference I would not indulge in an old lathe, no matter what, even though I've restored and have had an old clunker for the last 30 years.

I worked in industry on modern manual lathes and the only places running old iron mangles were those black pits from hell that just survive on poor wages and prayers come pay day.

The problem is when you get your first oldie and restore it to some form of accuracy, and get to know how to adjust it to make it work, you become attached to it, like an old tom cat that turns up one day on your doorstep, and gets a free feed and won't go away....LOL.

I will be the first to admit that some(but not all) of the Chinese offerings are crap, but unless you know a lathe and can tell what design features are lacking in functionality, it is best to always get advice from a regular machinist who can tell just by winding the handles whether or not it's any good.
    Ian.