587,485 active members*
3,793 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Precision Matthews PM-45M with 3 axis DRO
Page 5 of 7 34567
    Call. In my experience emails are not the best way to get in touch with him and I usually have to call a couple of times to get him. I think a large part of it is that he's not there a great deal of the time.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

I had problems emailing as well, even when I ordered. Calling is a different story. I have called him 4-5 times and he has been very helpful. If he is in, he will talk to you. I find this to be common in this industry, that calling is better than email.

Power feed update:

If you decide to get the power feed on the X (It makes a huge difference) it is an easy install. Again, the manual is useless, It takes 30 minutes to install, just a simple bolt on and it is ready to go. As soon as I have time to get my site back up, I will start posting some images.

Cool. Be great to see some pics. Just post some here!

What I really need is a power z!
    MUDSUX

I am not planning to CNC this, as I will buy a Tormach in the next 12 months. I am going to do some Mods to save me time.

1. Complete redesign of the coolant system.
    2. Power draw bar or Hoss' MAD tool changer to run TTS
    3. Power Z
    4. Chip guards
    5. LED Lighting

I may do a Variable speed motor with a belt drive as well. Depends on when I can get a Tormach.

Here's another suggestion....

If you are worried about tilting the machine slightly to get the strap out of it, one time I moved my mill I was using a 10k lb tied down strap underneath the column and around the top of the Z slide to the crane hook. It lifted the mill easliy and smoothly. When we tried to get the very large hooks out from underneath it with that strap we were having a little difficulty and it has to tilt a bit due to the larger hooks on it. SO my wife was standing there trying to be helpful watching me stare at it and then she all of a sudden said " Well why don't you just cut the damn strap!!" It is only about a ten dollar item anyways so just cut the damn thing!! For some reason that never occurred to me as I am always trying to protect my stuff so it was just not in the programming I guess. But she had a point so I cut the hook off one side and pulled the strap out easily thru the raised portion of the base without lifting or tilting it at all...

Dunno if you got this on the stand yet but it is an option, Also if you need to get it under that shelf (assuming the head travel will allow it) I have moved my mill before with the crane attatched to the mill and the stand attatched to the mill and just lifted it very slightly with the head all the way down on top of a 2x4 on the table and the gibs locked and the strap around the while mill. It only needs to come up a tad so the crane can go just above the head and not get in the way. Good luck and BE CAREFUL!! peace

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pete from TN View Post
    If you are worried about tilting the machine slightly to get the strap out of it, one time I moved my mill I was using a 10k lb tied down strap underneath the column and around the top of the Z slide to the crane hook. It lifted the mill easliy and smoothly. When we tried to get the very large hooks out from underneath it with that strap we were having a little difficulty and it has to tilt a bit due to the larger hooks on it. SO my wife was standing there trying to be helpful watching me stare at it and then she all of a sudden said " Well why don't you just cut the damn strap!!" It is only about a ten dollar item anyways so just cut the damn thing!! For some reason that never occurred to me as I am always trying to protect my stuff so it was just not in the programming I guess. But she had a point so I cut the hook off one side and pulled the strap out easily thru the raised portion of the base without lifting or tilting it at all...

Dunno if you got this on the stand yet but it is an option, Also if you need to get it under that shelf (assuming the head travel will allow it) I have moved my mill before with the crane attatched to the mill and the stand attatched to the mill and just lifted it very slightly with the head all the way down on top of a 2x4 on the table and the gibs locked and the strap around the while mill. It only needs to come up a tad so the crane can go just above the head and not get in the way. Good luck and BE CAREFUL!! peace

Pete

Huh? I think you meant to post this in a different thread?

Since I have you here a quick question. Don't think I will doing the belt drive anytime soon. How about a VFD and bigger motor with the original gear drive? Is this possible or simply a waste of time? I know I already have six gears but I want to fine tune it and if in the future I do a belt drive I already have the vfd and motor.

Can you give some suggestions to motor and vfd controller? I have been trying to fine one with a knob control instead of the push button but no luck. I think I have 1 phase 220V at the house. Thanks in advance!
    MUDSUX

Mudman!!

Sorry I meant to post this in the thread about the PM45 and the mitsubishi turbo guy...

In answer to your question yes you can hook up a three phase motor and VFD to ANY machine really. The dig is that the rf45's mostly seem to use metric frame motors on them. IF you are creative and want to go that route you can machine an adapter plate and shaft adapter as some have done here and run a 56c motor like mine on your mill. I would think that would be pretty simple and if you get it and want to go belt drive eventually you can. Only problem is that most guys seem to use a 3450 RPM motor instead of a 1725 motor when they upgrade without a belt drive. You can still do it but your pulleys would be different ratios that is for sure.

As far as the VFD, I have had excellent results from my Teco Sensorless vector drive. It is very well done and has tons of adjustments. It also has a little round knob/potentiometer to adjust speed if you wish to use it. It can also be controlled via an external control pad or thru the computer running your cnc. It was not that expensive either.. Mine is model number

teco jnev203-h1

and it is pretty compact and small. I would put it in a place free from chips and coolant tho as it has an open design with cooling vents all over it. Good luck and peace

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pete from TN View Post
    Sorry I meant to post this in the thread about the PM45 and the mitsubishi turbo guy...

In answer to your question yes you can hook up a three phase motor and VFD to ANY machine really. The dig is that the rf45's mostly seem to use metric frame motors on them. IF you are creative and want to go that route you can machine an adapter plate and shaft adapter as some have done here and run a 56c motor like mine on your mill. I would think that would be pretty simple and if you get it and want to go belt drive eventually you can. Only problem is that most guys seem to use a 3450 RPM motor instead of a 1725 motor when they upgrade without a belt drive. You can still do it but your pulleys would be different ratios that is for sure.

As far as the VFD, I have had excellent results from my Teco Sensorless vector drive. It is very well done and has tons of adjustments. It also has a little round knob/potentiometer to adjust speed if you wish to use it. It can also be controlled via an external control pad or thru the computer running your cnc. It was not that expensive either.. Mine is model number

teco jnev203-h1

and it is pretty compact and small. I would put it in a place free from chips and coolant tho as it has an open design with cooling vents all over it. Good luck and peace

Pete
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. That will save me a lot of time searching as I have been the last week.
    MUDSUX

Quote Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
    Can you give some suggestions to motor and vfd controller? I have been trying to fine one with a knob control instead of the push button but no luck.
    Read the instructions also, I think most of them can be used with a potentiometer. Here are mine Hitachi drives, and they can be used with a potentiometer of 1-2kOhm (2W). That shouldn't be too hard to install and you can put it where you want it.

Here is the motor guy:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/899242-post38.html

So I am about to set up my flood coolant system. I don't see how my DROs are not going to get wet. Are they waterproof? Is it normal to have a DRO system with flood coolant? Something is not adding up here.

What brand of coolant are you guys using? And where is the cheapest place to get some coolant? Thanks in advance again.
    MUDSUX

Are they glass scales?

If they are there are a series of stacked rubber seals that virtually seal off the under side of the scale housing.

See here

Yeah that's what they advertise. Just not sure if it's totally enclosed or not. Pictures shows this. I'm thinking it's a cut-away view but just want to be sure before I fry all the electronics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PMMillDROScale.JPG   PMMillDROSeal.JPG  
    MUDSUX

Just to follow up. I just got off the phone with Travis from Precision Matthews and he tells me the Easson ES-8 DRO have glass scales and the system is enclosed and I should not be any problems with the flood coolant.
    MUDSUX

PM-45 Mill crate

Do you guys recall if it is shipped already mounted on the stand or is the stand in a separate box?

I have about a 15 degree angle on part of my drive way and winch machinery up the drive into my shop. I am concerned about stability of a crate that may stand quite high. This has not been an issue with my lathe or other items which have a lower vertical profile.

The stand was strapped to the top of the crate using a separate set of strapping. (in a cardboard box) you can remove it and the mill will still be strapped down to the pallet.

Mill ordered

Placed an order for a 45M bench mill today. They expect a shipment in from China in 1-2 weeks. They do an inspection of the machines on this end and then install power feeds, DRO's. I have a crane and pallet jack here - charge is $30 for lift gate service.

The pictures and descriptions on this forum have been particularly helpful in making the decision. Thanks

Glad it helped. I know I would have liked seeing more detailed pics than what is on their website when I was shopping for a mill.

Here are some updates:

I put an 8" vertical scale on the spindle. Even though my spindle has a 5" travel, I had to use 8" instead of 6" to account for the excess distance needed to attach the lower bracket to the spindle. I got it for like $20 from a vendor name 800Watt on ebay. I know there are horror stories about this vendor but he must have changed his practice because I got it in like 4-5 days.

Next is the Loc line upgrade for the flood coolant. I had to get an 3/8" brass adapter from home depot to connect it to the 1/4" NPT for the loc line. Bought everything from modularhose.com. So far so good. If you need any other pics or info let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P3310649.jpg   P3310650.jpg   P3310647.jpg   P3310651.jpg  

P3310652.jpg   P3310657.jpg  
    MUDSUX

DRO

Mudsux, your pictures of the mill on the hoist are absolutely invaluable. It gave me a sense of scale and machine balance point. I remember a number of occasions looking at a machine in warehouse or sitting in the mud outside a shop - thinking how big will this be in my shop?

I ordered a 2 axis DRO on the phone. In the invoice they sent they noted that they were out of the 2 axis and are going to install a 3 axis instead for no extra charge.

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by dickda1 View Post
    ......I ordered a 2 axis DRO on the phone. In the invoice they sent they noted that they were out of the 2 axis and are going to install a 3 axis instead for no extra charge.

Dick

Nice! Please post some pics when you get it.
    MUDSUX

Mill arrived PM45

Well, it took a while. I ordered a PM45M mill from Precision Mathews at the end of March and took delivery yesterday (Oct 17th).

Matt at Precision Mathews threw in 3 axis DRO even though I ordered a 2 as well as the standard vice. It was worth the wait. He was always easy to reach by email or phone and offered a refund when the delay got long.

Machine got shipped from China to PA and then shipped right back across the country to me in San Francisco. I hate to think what Chinese workers must be earning to make this cost effective for the importer.

I am unpacking it right now and will post some pictures in a few days.

-Dick

Page 5 of 7 34567