587,683 active members*
2,794 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Who's a Happy AJAX-MACH Customer?

Hi Guys,

Just have to make the final decision to spend the cash to get my knee mill conversion underway and I am looking for people who have bought and installed the MACH based AJAX retrofit to step up and give a very basic comment on the experience they had with the kit.

Are you happy with the process and the outcome or not? Is your project making chips?

I have seen lots of banter about the internet but has been all over the place and without a consensus one way or the other. I have looked at many other possibilities but keep coming back to the AJAX MACH set-up as offering the most features at least on paper!

Appreciate everybody who can spare a moment to comment but please only reply if you have purchased and done a conversion!

Gerald

I just did a colchester clausing lathe. with the centroid from ajax. Love the simple setup and programing (even I can understand it) and the guys know their beans. But try to get service afterwards. been trying to get help for 2 weeks now. one email response and that was to ask more questions, only got thru on the phone once and then was told there would be a updated version for download that afternoon. that was days ago. still nothing. so I dont think I would go the Ajax route again.

I see some of them that run ok. It is because the guy installing it is a very talented electrician.

If you want something the average+ machinist can put on, do something else.

The service seems to be the biggest complaint.

On the Ajax board, most of the problems are solved through the other members.

I was looking at the DC310 set-up. After figuring it out they raised the price. Then after I saved the money for it, they went up again and replaced the one I wanted with an ALL IN ONE DC.

After asking about the All IN ONE DC, they didn't have any info out on it yet. They were selling it, though.

If you are real good with electronics, you could do it.

Heinz

Heinz,

That is pretty common. Quite a few of the happy retrofits are from experienced machine repairmen & technicians, that have done a few other retrofits.

JAckal
    Everything is bio-degradable, if you run over it enough times with the lawnmower.

I did a retrofit on a boss 5 mill. I am a machinist with a manufacturing technician degree. and I did a retrofit with gecko and mach 3 prioe to ajax.

It was hard but if you take your time and buy the right pc it will work awsome. I run mazaks at work and my centroid control is as good or better. On the other hand I couldnt get that Mach gecko setup to perform well.

I would suggest going online and downloading the wiring diagrams. then you will know exactly what your gettting into.

Adam Korell

Thanks

Thanks for the comments so far and please keep them coming!

I am an experienced electronics tech for some 30 years so that part doesn't bother me so much. I am really just interested in the overall satisifaction with the finished project. At the end of the day, the volume of chips and good parts says it all.

ADAM, I wonder how the performance is on the BOSS 5 with the AJAX control? IS it a stable platform and did it take a load of tweaking and fine tuning to get it there? I wonder what sort of SERVOS and ENCODERS you run and what is teh DC supply voltage for the motors? Are you running the AJAX motor drivers or another brand?

Thanks
    Gerald

I wired it up only thing that got me going was inverted axis movement and limit switch confusion. I runt the latest centroid software upgraded it myself it was easy took about a half hour. Ive made 6 lithophanes running the machine flat out 3.5 to 4 hours at a time thats 240 inches per minute in the open areas. I do have to put a fan on the z axis servo but other then that it works flawless. The other job I did was drilling 1.063 holes in 3/8 thick steel square tubing. did that pretty alright. I have the 29 inch pound motors.

I havent had even one problem with ajaxs system or service. while installing my system I fried a tranformer and ribbon cable. I sent them back my control pendent and control cards they checked and sent them back to me for free. I just bought an unlock. I emailed scott then next morning at 8 am I had the new parameters.

My freind owns a ajax system aswell and his works flawless too he used it in his business for the last five years.

I think ive had mine for 4 years

Cool Adam,

Any pics of your conversion on this site or your own website? I also have the 29 in pound motors. My existing power supply is about 115V dc but I am concerned that my 500line (2000ppr) encoders may be too coarse for the AJAX. You have any idea what the resolution of your encoders are? How about your DC power supply voltage?

I will only manage the budget to do this once and I am doing a lot of research to make sure I get it right :-)

Gerald

115VDC is just fine.

You could probably get by with the 500-line encoders, but the performance and precision would not be as good as what you could get with the standard/recommended 2000-line encoders (8000 quadrature counts/rev).

I bought everything right fromt the ajax site. i bought the motor pre wired. and i bought the vfd they recommended.

as for the power just look at the transformer they sell on the ajax website

Quite Happy

I recently completed a Bridgeport Series II and am very happy with the results so far.

The CNC11 software is very stable and the system is far better than Mach 3. I have 2 more mills lined up for retrofits and this is the system that I plan on using.

Good luck on your venture!

Decision Made............

Thanks to all who have replied. I have more or less decided to place an order for the AJAX retrofit kit next week. I like the fact that I can run either MACH3 or the CENTROID software and the large plug in hand-held control panel looks awesome and will greatly simplify the installation by providing a ready made control panel!

After much consideration I have come to think it represents one of the most affordable and flexible options available to the retrofit market.

Gerald

Anothony,
    I have been contemplating the Mach3 vs the CNC11 with the Ajax system. You state that the CNC11 software is far better that the Mach 3. Would you expand on this?
    Thanks

J,

The CNC11 software on the ajax system Homes to the encoder position, so you know that the work coordinates are going to be exactly where they were the night before. This is priceless!
    You can stop the job to check/change a tool and restart where you left off.
    You can use the workpiece rotation feature to decrease set-up time. Clamp your workpiece down and touch-off 2 places on X and your toolpath with automatically be rotated!

CNC11 has an easy to use interface; very important if you are running a shop, or are new to CNC.
    More time cuttting, less time training.

There is a price difference; but, you will likely save money by turning out quality work the first time.

Also, the Ajax system will run or either and they provide you with a full working demo of CNC11.

I have a video here (not the best quality)
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbwvJWS4bMs"]YouTube - Bridgeport Series II Interact 2 For Sale[/nomedia]
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbwvJWS4bMs"]YouTube - Bridgeport Series II Interact 2 For Sale[/nomedia]

If you are in the Ohio area, I will be glad to show you the control.

-Anthony
    (No, I do not work for them in any way; and I do have a Mach 3 machine, also.

Anthony,
    Thanks for the information; I thought the video was good. If I lived closer I would certainly like to look at the machine but I am 6 hours away.

I have played with a demo version of the CNC11 software and found it nice to work with. I have also watched a video tutorial from Centroid. The probe to locate an edge on the work appears to very useful. Have you any experience using a probe with the CNC11 software?

Thanks
    Jeff

Jeff,

I have not used the probe feature on CNC11 or Mach3. While it would be great to have, I cannot justify the psice for the few things that I do.
    Perhaps one of my buyers will request the upgrade and I can install and test it!

-Anthony

Ready To Rock!

Well as an update to anyone following this thread. I did purchase and receive the AJAX (Centroid) CNC package. I went with the large JOG PENDANT as well. I received it a few days back and so far I have only done the initial bench test of the controller but all worked out great. I have more or less planned the install on the machine in my head and gathered up all the required bits and pieces to get going. Hopefully things should move forward by next week.

I have decided to pass on the MACH3 software for this project and purchase the CNC11 software. The $500 price tag is easily justified in the ease of install and tighter integration with the hardware.

Will post more as the project progresses!

gerald

backyard_cnc, how did you contact Ajax? I would like to purchase the conversion kit for my BOSS 8 mill, but they have ignored my emails and phone messages. I was guessing they went out of business since all I wanted to do was buy one of their products, but your post indicates they actually still ship parts out to customers. How did you contact them? Did you have any trouble?

Buying from AJAX!

Hi there,

I simply e-mailed them and had them send me a PAYPAL INVOICE. I paid and about 7~8 days later shipping dept sent it out? Pretty straight foward. I think you can also buy same basic ALL IN ONE package direct from CENTROID or at least from their dealer. AJAX and CENTROID are sister companies in the same building selling same basic stuff to different markets. I have opted to run the CENTROID CNC11 software which I will buy for $500 which added to the $1495 hardware price is $1995 which is same price as sold direct from CENTROID. CENTROID has a receptionist and more staff so easier to get a person on the phone but SCOTT at AJAX has also been excellent to me so far so either way works. I have not yet installed the hardware but it looks very nice and seems straight forward .

Gerald

here is the link for centroid: CENTROID CNC controls,CNC Retrofits,CNC Milling Machines,CNC Lathes,CNC Routers,5 Axis CNC Cylinder Head Porting Machines,CNC Rotary Tables,Fanuc Retrofits,Digitizing Probes,Conversational Programming

Page 1 of 2 12