587,832 active members*
3,462 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: XZero CNC

Hybrid View

So I started trying to adjust the squareness of the machine tonight and I kinda hit a brick wall so to speak. I'm hoping that George has some hints or tips to help me.

I have the Raptor 24x30 with hiwin rails. I used a squareness master and placed it in the center of travel and aligned for 0 end to end error in the 36" direction. I then measured the squareness error in the 24" direction and found it to be .059" over 20" travel. I began loosening bolts to try and shift the squareness to improve those numbers as Ive done numerous times on other machines, but because George's design aims to make it bolt together and ready to run there doesnt seem to be much adjustability. Thats good for someone who doesnt have tools to measure and adjust but a real bugger for those of us that can/do. So my question is how does everyone else adjust the squareness??? George what is the best way to tweek the alignment to help me?

By the way, 60 thou over 20 inches is pretty impressive out of the box!!!! I just want to see if it can be improved.

I have a video of another machine that I measured and adjusted some time ago.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q36NuWW54g"]YouTube - Hobby CNC XY Squareness[/nomedia]

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyes1997 View Post
    So I started trying to adjust the squareness of the machine tonight and I kinda hit a brick wall so to speak. I'm hoping that George has some hints or tips to help me.

I have the Raptor 24x30 with hiwin rails. I used a squareness master and placed it in the center of travel and aligned for 0 end to end error in the 36" direction. I then measured the squareness error in the 24" direction and found it to be .059" over 20" travel. I began loosening bolts to try and shift the squareness to improve those numbers as Ive done numerous times on other machines, but because George's design aims to make it bolt together and ready to run there doesnt seem to be much adjustability. Thats good for someone who doesnt have tools to measure and adjust but a real bugger for those of us that can/do. So my question is how does everyone else adjust the squareness??? George what is the best way to tweek the alignment to help me?

By the way, 60 thou over 20 inches is pretty impressive out of the box!!!! I just want to see if it can be improved.

I have a video of another machine that I measured and adjusted some time ago.
    YouTube - Hobby CNC XY Squareness
    The alignment of the rails on the Y has a pocket the rails sit in,mostly for easy install ,they are machined and all measured,there is a bit of adjusting you could do on the Y backing plate to line up better as there is a small amount on each end ,the new machines now have dowling pins to put in the right spot and press together,lot also has to do with the profiles.from one side to other,best would be is to put top on and fly cut it flat ,then check.or even better is to get the profiles machined on the top and where rails sit,but if i machined flat with no pocket and only single edge for alignment ,it would drive people crazy trying to align

IF the machine is out in the 36 long way,most likely the x rails are not aligned right ?

The 8020 has a +/- 5000 thou per foot is acceptable for there standards

Quote Originally Posted by gio666 View Post
    The 8020 has a +/- 5000 thou per foot is acceptable for there standards
    Im guessing you mean +/- 5 thou per foot as 5000 thou is 5 inches?

Squareness

When looking at the machine from above this is the squareness error I measure. The grey blocks show the overhead view of the hiwin rails. The 36" and 24" rails should be 90degrees but in fact they are not by the amount indicated. Im trying to figure out the best and least modification way to fix it. I can machine whatever I need to just wanted to gather some opinions or options from George before I go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by gio666 View Post
    The alignment of the rails on the Y has a pocket the rails sit in,mostly for easy install ,they are machined and all measured,there is a bit of adjusting you could do on the Y backing plate to line up better as there is a small amount on each end ,the new machines now have dowling pins to put in the right spot and press together,lot also has to do with the profiles.from one side to other,best would be is to put top on and fly cut it flat ,then check.or even better is to get the profiles machined on the top and where rails sit,but if i machined flat with no pocket and only single edge for alignment ,it would drive people crazy trying to align

IF it is out that way, you have to make sure the back of the rail is sitting against the back of the pocket , the back of the uprights has a machine back for rail to sit,there should be ,but there might be a small burr maybe on rail

yes sorry ,that's right

loosen backing plate and push it back ,the tight in down ,both ends might not be in right spot

All the advertising will start soon,i see his point of not have a front store page on my web site,and he also has been getting complaints from other company's as there paying and i am not at the time and getting all the attention on my machines and products,Paul has been very fair for a long time now,as linking people to my forum for someone who has not hear of XZero CNC would not understand as me myself i get lost on the forum