587,560 active members*
3,512 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Hi Jason
    The price look good on the MariTool's site. Thanks for the lead.
    Yes we are running it slow but we are learn with this new beast.
    What is the finish like at those speeds? Also what Kw spindle do you run?

Regards

Russell
    www.vapourforge.com ..................I recycle electrons.

The cutters we are using are designed for steel, as near as I can tell from the specs 400mm/minute is on the limit for them.

the mari tool 6mm uncoated carbide
    6mm metric 3 Flute Carbide End Mill SE 38 Deg Helix 19mm LOC MariTool

comes out at 3000mm/minute at 13,000 RPM give or take.
    www.vapourforge.com

Jason3
    looked at it closer and you were right, I must have been looking at the wrong column

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frIssODebKA"]YouTube - 3600mm/minute 9600RPM 4 flute 6mm cutter[/nomedia]

hit it for some much cooler looking footage.

Acceleration on the axies went from 100 x and y and 30 z to 3800 on x, 2000 on y and 800 on Z.
    Top speed is now 7.5 meters a minute, though there is a bit of oscillation there might do with some more tuning.

the new accelerations make it feel like the mill is breaking every time it stops, its just screaming along at 7 meters a minute then its stopped dead.
    www.vapourforge.com

Quote Originally Posted by rusel View Post
    What is the finish like at those speeds? Also what Kw spindle do you run?
    The finish is great. Spindle - from 350 watt to 2.4 Kw on the small machines, I drop the DOC for the low power spindles but leave the feed and chipload the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Jason3
    looked at it closer and you were right, I must have been looking at the wrong column

YouTube - 3600mm/minute 9600RPM 4 flute 6mm cutter

Acceleration on the axies went from 100 x and y and 30 z to 3800 on x, 2000 on y and 800 on Z.
    Top speed is now 7.5 meters a minute, though there is a bit of oscillation there might do with some more tuning.

the new accelerations make it feel like the mill is breaking every time it stops, its just screaming along at 7 meters a minute then its stopped dead.
    Great, that's more like it! Good work. How much power is it drawing now - still 3 mm DOC?

I like to cut a small test part with lots of sharp angles repeatedly while adjusting accel. and CV feedrate to get the best result. Usually I can get to a point where the mill is fast and happy at a cycle time of (for example, last test) 6 min 53 sec, vs 6:47 and sounding a bit bangy and clunky. That'll make the machine last longer, and is nicer to be around for a worst case 2% time penalty.

Regards,

Jason

Gave the new head and spindle a work out today.
    Wanted to make a clamp for the spindle lead as when I fitted the 4 core lead to the plug I had to cut off the part that clamps the lead to the plug.
    As you can see in the pic I put a diamond pattern on the out side of the part one pass at 30 and the second at 150 degrees. This made the mill run the x,y,z axis simultaneously all with no problems. This was done with a 6mm ball mill at 2500mm/min with a RPM of 9500 and took about 20 minutes to make the first one (both sides) from scrap.
    The ribbing on the outside curved ends is from the gcode not being done in g2-3 but small segments. We have now sorted the problem between rhino and emc2
    The last pic I have just sat the one part in place so you get the idea.
    If I had try to make this with the old head it would have take for ever and and with the heave head and constant z axes changes it would of come not so good.
    Just a little more tuning and it done
    Very happy

Russell
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 19012011475.jpg   19012011480.jpg   19012011486.jpg   19012011495.jpg  

www.vapourforge.com ..................I recycle electrons.