Bill,

Congrats on the new job, and the new mill! Thanks for encouraging words. As far as kits go, now that you have a mill, you are in a great position to make kits to CNC this lathe. And with all your experience....

Again, let me reiterate. I started this thread to share with everyone what my thoughts were in designing and fabricating a conversion for my 8X12 lathe. I was hoping that any feedback from other members of the forum would steer this newbie machinist in the right direction. This is only a hobby for me, and I am enjoying every minute of it. If someone wanted to make it more than a hobby (for themselves) they are more than welcome to use and improve upon my ideas to create a kit for the 8X12 lathe. I will even help (in my free time) by suppyling drawings, dxf files, or whatever I have that I can dig up. Since I did this a piece at a time, these files are scattered all around on my computer.

In the meantime... I decided that for a CNC lathe, the compound slide would be mostly redundant, so I did away with it and replaced it with a 1" steel riser block. Hopefully this will act to stiffen the machine even further.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0181.JPG 
Views:	187 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	122748

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0185.JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	122749

Now.... my attention is focused on building the controller box for the build. The computer is up and running Mach3 lathe. I activated the Dolphin CADCAM turning module and have played a bit with that...very cool. I am trying to get everything up and running by the end of the month so that I can start getting this machine DIRTY:banana::banana: