587,818 active members*
2,729 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > CNC Lathe&Machining Center which ones to get?
Page 2 of 2 12
    I know you guys are passionate about your debate, and that is great.

I think it is possible to leave the personal comments out of the discussion though.

I also appreciate the informative views that you all have. Please keep debating but without the attacks.
    Being outside the square !!!

Hi guys...
    Can I have my thread back
    Regards...
    Hector

Give me passion any day!

Quote Originally Posted by kanankeban
    Hi guys...
    Can I have my thread back
    Regards...
    Hector
    Be our guest...
    Just remember everyone, this is a forum...
    Within the rules, go ahead and express your opinion.

Just don't expect everyone to agree with you.
    I don't

Ok, let's all take a deep breath in.
    Scott_bob

Hey Al...how's it going? gimmie a call sometime will ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_bob

Just don't expect everyone to agree with you.
    I don't

Ok, let's all take a deep breath in.
    In which part you don't agree with me, because I haven't made any opinion myself I started this thread asking for advice on how not to make a mistake while investing lots of mony (that's for me) in a buying some machinery the topic in this thread is how to get a good deal when buying a cnc machining center or lathe...
    Kindest Regards...
    Hector

sorry for the missunderstanding

Quote Originally Posted by kanankeban
    In which part you don't agree with me, because I haven't made any opinion myself I started this thread asking for advice on how not to make a mistake while investing lots of mony (that's for me) in a buying some machinery the topic in this thread is how to get a good deal when buying a cnc machining center or lathe...
    Kindest Regards...
    Hector
    I apologize, I was not refering to anything you've said...
    These discussions can get misunderstood real quick, most of us have jobs and other interests and people we care about, who has a lot of time to sit down and carefully say what you feel like saying.

Anyway, what do you say we just get back to your thread...
    Scott_bob

Talking good used machines

(chair) (chair) I usually shop at auctions for used machines. there are many great deals to be had. However there are some rules I've learned to follow when buying used machines at auctions.
    first: Don't buy machines with oddball controls. The reason for this is simple if you find that the machine has even a minor control problem getting parts may be next to imposible. Also if you stick with a machine with name brand controlls there is also the option of reselling the controls for parts to reclaim your money if something else is found to be unrepairable, or cost prohibitive to repair such as a wasted ball screw.

Second: if the machine your looking at can be inspected under power bring aong a dial indicator and check the backlash on all axis. this can be done very easily by joging it back and fourth .001" at a time and while checking the indicator to see if it's keeping up.

Third: always look into the spindle taper with a flash light to check for dents and iregularities. a bad spidle taper can cost upwards of $2000.00 to have reground and usually also means that the bearing are also going to be in bad shape as well.

Fourth: all good quality machines will have some sort of automatic lubrication system. If the machine your looking at has no lubrication system or has obvios missing oil lines stear clear.

I try to stick with Japanese made machines with Fanuc controls.
    I recently sold a Mazak v5 that was made in 1981 With a 6M control. I purchased this machine used 8 years ago and is was still a great running machine when I sold it. However our new products required a machine with a faster spindle.
    personal preferences for machines would be Mazak, Okuma, Ikegai, and Excell.
    I can't say anything about Haas because I have never used one.
    As far as pc based controls, I would have to say that they are superoir in flexability to proprietory controls in fact the new Mazak turning center a friend of mine just purchased uses a pc based control with mazaks software in it. I you want to retrofit a machine with pc controls there are a number of companies making affordable software, camsoft, Delta Tau, and Dynapath are just a few.

If you come across an Acroloc machining center however RUN AWAY!!
    sick minds demand sick toys!

I have no earthly idea who is more right....but Metlmunchr gets my vote....if anyone remembers the movie 'Blazing Saddles" and I forget the actors....but one of the villans is listening to the Governor and says something like...."you use your tongue better then a two dollar whore.."...always thought that was hilarious.

Anyway....I think everyone has presented a "good case"....all have their merits....bottom line still gets back to "how much money can I make now!"....gotta pay today's bills before I think of tomorrow.

I am no expert in manufacturing but I have retrofitted a bridgeport style mill to full 4 axis CNC capability. I purchased a complete retrofit package from Elrod Machine Tool in Flagstaff, Arizona. The kit came with a full set of ball screws, mounting hardware for the servo motors and a Centroid Control. I actually retrofitted my machine with my senior high students. The Centroid control is very powerful but very easy to run. I agree with motordude's comments about having a common control for the lathe and mill. Centroid makes control for mills and lathes alike. I highly recommend Elrod Machine Tool and the Centroid control. Elrod provides oustanding support and the control is very easy to learn.

After completing the mechanical work I was making chips within an hour of configuring the control. I have seen the Centroid on huge vertical turning centers as well as knee mills. If you decide to retrofit I would definitely give them a look.

http://www.centroidcnc.com/
    http://www.elrodmachine.com/

Good Luck, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by crasher455
    (chair) (chair) I usually shop at auctions for used machines. there are many great deals to be had.
    Crasher455 - This is a really newbie question so please forgive me... but how do you search for auctions? Do you simply look in the paper? The only machines I've seen listed are typically when someone is selling the contents of the storage unit. Are these types of auctions worth wild? Is there a service that you use?

Talking

Lately I look online for indusrial auctions in my area. Just go on google search and type in auction companys and your state. You should be able to get a number of different websights for local auction companies. most auctioneers will put a listing of there upcoming auctions on there web sites. Also the local newspaper is a good source.
    Once you attend an industrial auction most companies will put you on there mailing list. This will keep you informed about any upcoming auctions they are having.
    sick minds demand sick toys!

Page 2 of 2 12