587,651 active members*
3,697 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Finding small cheap CNC mill in UK

Hybrid View

You could try sourcing the motors and power supply over here, and just get the Gecko bits from the US. I bought stepper drivers direct from Gecko and motors from ArcEuroTrade. I didn't need a power supply or spindle (mine was a conversion), so can't advise on that.

Mine's a milling machine. It's designed for cutting metal so is very robust cast iren construction, has quite a small working area, and the spindle is normally worked in the 1000-4000 rpm range. The spindle moves up and down only, with the table providing both horizontal movements. The movements are on ground vee ways with gib strips.

A router is usually more lightly constructed (can be MDF or aluminium), suitable for wood, plastics and maybe aluminium. The spindle will ususally rotate a lot faster. Often the spindle will be on a gantry so moves up and down and side to side. Movements may be on rods with linear bearings.

Google some images of "CNC Router" and "CNC milling machine" and you'll see they're different.

Arceurotrade motors are ok but they are not as good as the kelling / US ones. it seam the uk ones have higher voltages and inductance which are not good for performance. i run a arc motor on my z but that was due to an upgrade not through chose.