587,308 active members*
3,519 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool out of memory

we are having a problem tring to regenerate a program using surface blend
    when we try only a small part of our part it takes about 15 min. to regenerate but it does it when we try to do the whole thing after about 30 min. the computer tells us we are out of memory. our computer has 4 gigs. of ram and about 300 gigs. of free disk space.

i have called our retailer but if you don't owe them any money it is a crap shoot if they will even call you back.

Surfaces can be a real problem, especially if you have a curved surface that runs into another curved surface, such that the combined radius at some point in that blend is either infinitely small or becomes infinitely large.
    If that is your case, try redrawing that portion of the blend with a definite radius, like 0.000001 or 10000.0 (in other words, so small or large, you'd never see them anyway.)
    You could also try reducing the precision of your model. Either way, I'll bet the calculation is driving the program crazy and it's trying to calculate something to a million decimal places.

I agree with Dorsal,
    it is having a very hard time calculating the offsets, intersections, tangencies etc of all the surfaces in respect of the tool
    so open up the tolerances

If you can cut down the number of surfaces, to aid calculation times
    even in check surfaces and try to keep both offsets thr same

You could try increasing the size of your virtual memory (swap space) This allows the hard drive to take up some slack. Most CAD programs need to have about 1.5 times the swap space available
    Also check (using task manager) to see what other process are using memory and close any programs you're not using. For example, Firefox can use 150000K

HTH

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsal View Post
    Surfaces can be a real problem, especially if you have a curved surface that runs into another curved surface, such that the combined radius at some point in that blend is either infinitely small or becomes infinitely large.
    If that is your case, try redrawing that portion of the blend with a definite radius, like 0.000001 or 10000.0 (in other words, so small or large, you'd never see them anyway.)
    You could also try reducing the precision of your model. Either way, I'll bet the calculation is driving the program crazy and it's trying to calculate something to a million decimal places.
    we were off last week so I could not get back to you but what do you mean by " You could also try reducing the precision of your model"

thanks richard

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    I agree with Dorsal,
    it is having a very hard time calculating the offsets, intersections, tangencies etc of all the surfaces in respect of the tool
    so open up the tolerances

If you can cut down the number of surfaces, to aid calculation times
    even in check surfaces and try to keep both offsets thr same
    It seams you are very good with mastercam can you tell me what you recommend the settings should be in the config tollerances.

amd is it normal to have to regenerate the surface toolpath when the only thing you do is change the speed and/or feed of the cutter

thanks richard

I've run mastercam on a laptop with 4G of ram and 300+G hard drive and don't have anything that takes 15 minutes to run...my parts aren't huge but I use a lot of surfaces.
    What else is running and using memory? Use the task manager to find out. Go to the processes tab and sort to show the items using the most memory. There are many programs that can be shut down to increase available memory.
    Windoze can not use the entire 4Gig and unless you have implemented the 3gigabyte switch you probably only have 2 Gig available to use (Memory Support and Windows Operating Systems)

How much swap space do you have? Control Panel>>system>>advanced tab>>advanced tab>>Virual Memory >Change >>>should be set to custom and have 8000 as the max.

HTH

Bill

You may be setting the accuracy, of the toolpath to be calculated, too fine ( Tolerance settings)
    it may not be the system settings at all

open the tolerance setting to allow quicker calculating...
    drive surfaces selected are ONLY the ones the tool would touch
    notice... NO check surfaces have been selected

After getting the toolpath doing what you need it to do, then tighten the tolerance to achieve better tool control

Attached is a metric set-up of my system config, and pics of a surface blend operation --this took 20-30 seconds to regen
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lots of cool info in that zip file...I apologize for a mini thread hi-jack but I want to know more about the surface blend operation as it may be the solution to a part I am currently working on. I will go start another thread to ask my question...

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    You may be setting the accuracy, of the toolpath to be calculated, too fine ( Tolerance settings)
    it may not be the system settings at all

open the tolerance setting to allow quicker calculating...
    drive surfaces selected are ONLY the ones the tool would touch
    notice... NO check surfaces have been selected

After getting the toolpath doing what you need it to do, then tighten the tolerance to achieve better tool control

Attached is a metric set-up of my system config, and pics of a surface blend operation --this took 20-30 seconds to regen
    THANKS Most of our settings are the same or close to the same we are not in metric so their is some differants. Where we do not have a major problem when we use surface blend the machining gets done. But if we try SURFACE BLEND SPIRAL so our tool starts at the top and follows the pockets all around so you have no z rapid moves this is where we get in a lot of trouble. It would seem to me that if Mastercam can do it one way it should have no problem doing it with and of the tool paths offered. Mastercam is a powerful software package but a lot of what you would think should happen from a Machining stand point does not happen.

If you wish to look at our file I will send it to you I think all i have to do is zip it and insert it but if I have to do more than that just tell me and i will

Thanks Richard