587,243 active members*
3,216 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Alibre Design 2011

First Impressions after upgrade from 12.1 Standard Edition to 2011 Personal Edition, very much faster, gone are the delays when activating 2d drawing mode, also pleased to see that the existing features that I got when I upgraded to Standard Edition are still there ( boolean functions ), I plan on machining patterns for casting so losing these would have been a killer for me, never been so nervous doing an upgrade before. Anyone else have any experiences yet?
    David
    ( never stop learning )
    http://www.steamcastings.co.uk/

I am a new user with Alibre. Just bought Pro about six weeks ago. Therefore, I wasn't fluent enough with 12.1 to notice much difference going to 2011. So far, I've noticed no performance differences but my laptop is five years old and wasn't speedy before.

Same experience for me. The increased speed and smoother transitions is most noticeable. The new sheet metal from solids option looks interesting (I have expert). I am still having trouble getting all of the add in programs working. After the upgrade Alibre CAM now works on my laptop but not on my desktop. Render doesn't work on either and the FEA license didn't seem to transfer. I haven't had time to follow up with the help line yet, too much going on right now. Hopefully all those things will be an easy fix. My experience is that Alibre help is really good and they have helped me fix past issues very quickly and in one call. But the Alibre CAM licensing goes through MecSoft and getting CAM licensing issues straightened out that has been a nightmare for me in the past. I've been down for over two months trying to get the CAM license working again after a computer crash. Not good, I hope I don't run into that again.
    Hercules
    2008 TM-1, 2008 TL-3, 2009 TL-1, 2010 VF-2YT

The FEA is going away because AutoCAD bought them. I think 12-1-2010 is the last time you can get a license through Alibre.

I have 12.1 & 2011. Won't switch to 2011 for some time because its files are not backwards compatible and I have contributors who are still using 12.

Alibre should make their files backwards compatible or make translators available.

What can stop access to Alibre Web Site

Starting yesterday I can't access the Alibre web site from either my old or new computers. One is Windows 96 and the other Sytem 7 and they have different anti-virus and browser SW so I can't imagine how this could happen at my end. I've tried to get to the web home and forum pages directly and via a Google search and in all cases I get a message "IE cannot display the webpage". I also get a failure when Alibre tries to license check at startup.

Is anyone else able to get to the webpage?

Tom

Sorry about jumping in on an existing thread. I wanted to start a new thread but selected wrong button. I don't know how to fix that.

Tom

Haven't seen any interruption in the availability of the website and I'm on it daily.

Joe

V 12.1 now always states that the server is not available. V 2011 does not have that problem. I just went on the Alibre site with no problem.