587,665 active members*
4,056 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

I'd suggest you try low level galil commands. if it solves the problem, you know it was a Camsoft issue. here's a clip out of the galil command reference. be sure and watch your CN command and right homing direction. After you get all axis set, its just COMMAND HM

Karl

HM
    FUNCTION: Home
    DESCRIPTION:
    The HM command performs a three-stage homing sequence for servo systems and two stage
    sequence for stepper motor operation.
    For servo motor operation: During first stage of the homing sequence, the motor moves at the
    user programmed speed until detecting a transition on the homing input for that axis. The
    direction for this first stage is determined by the initial state of the homing input. Once
    the homing input changes state, the motor decelerates to a stop. The state of the homing
    input can be configured using the CN command.
    At the second stage, the motor change directions and slowly approach the transition again. When
    the transition is detected, the motor is stopped instantaneously..
    At the third stage, the motor slowly moves forward until it detects an index pulse from the
    encoder. It stops at this point and defines it as position 0.
    For stepper mode operation, the sequence consists of the first two stages.

Thanks Karl for that suggestion. I was hoping that someone had actually come across this problem and had a known solution.

I am not very familiar with using the native Galil commands but in the time I had access to the machine today I read the Galil manual and tried the AL command because it notes in the manual (Page103) that the index latch must be re-armed after a latching event. Thus in Macro.fil I have;

COMMAND AL Z
    FINDINDEX 3;R

There was no change - homing a second time causes the index to be found imediately after coming off the home microswitch, rather than moving to find the index.
    The question is; am I using the Galil command properly or is the CamSoft program masking the result by keeping a dummy variable latched after the FINDINDEX ?.

When I get more time I will try the HM command but do I have to follow it with a BG ? The CamSoft manual does not explain how to use Galil commands that require a sequence be sent to the board.

Chris

Chris,

Are you using an encoder that has Z and complement of Z, /Z If you only have the Z without the complement you will get the described results.

Del