587,238 active members*
3,923 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > D&M 4 machining center Documentation?
Page 3 of 4 1234
    I see that the D&M is well represented here. Does anyone know anything about the DynaMyte 3000? Type of chuck or spindle mount that was used with this lathe. I see some of you are converting the controllers over for EMC/Mach etc. I personally would like to run Mach. I did convert a Spectralight lathe and mill a couple of years ago, but I just built a Hobby CNC Pro controller. I know more now and could salvage some of the electronics however hard to beat a Gecko drive and lack of hassle. Any body know the specs, thru hole size, anything would be helpful. Thanks John

Does anyone have the information Dale was offering? I e-mailed him and PM'ed him and still no response. :/

Thanks in advance

I'm also looking for any information if its out there. Tried Dale and no response yet.

jkcab Guest
    I have a D&M 5s by labvolt. Every thing works perfect from the manual front board. I am desperate for the level 3 or level 4 software. I only need the software to be able to post the G-code from my cad-cam package to the machine. In the case of the lathe I see no good reason to retro the working machine. I have a spectralight mill (AKA Sherline) that I am changing over to Mach 3 to make small plastic injection molds. I had a working spectralight lathe (AKA sherline) but it was not very acurate and needed to have backlash adjuster added. You could import G-code into there antquated software and operate manually from the keyboard. I was using it to make the tool holders for the auto tool changer I'm working on for the mill and needed better repetability. I was not looking forward to making a dozen or more holders on my southbend. Turning tapers with the compound is very time consuming.
    If any of you have some info or could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. If one of you have the software would you be willing to zip it in a file and email it? Thanks for looking,
    Jeff

jkcab Guest
    Meyberry,
    It appears that you have a late model machine. You can obtain level 4 software by contacting Lab-Volt services (free). If you check there website you can download the latest firmware from the download section. Put a 3.5 floppy in your computer and hit the firmwares setup. This will create an update disk. Put this in your disk drive in the machine and then turn it on. It should boot and automatically install the new firmware. You can use the software from Lab-Volt or import from another and use the Lab-Volt for interface only. There software works fine and there is really no reason to change anything if all is working.

jkcab Guest
    Dale,
    "Just an FYI (post notification I recieved from Dale)

Dale is no longer taking the time to help others with there D&M milling machines. He has gotten too many rude requests and NO one ever sends picts of their machine after the mods are done as requested. I don't have the time to worry about other peoples problems so figure it out on your own.

Sorry for being so blunt, but I'm getting sick of the rude E-mails from people that feel I owe them my help.

Dale P."
    Did I do somthing to offend you?
    I am new to this forum and this is the first time I've posted. I sent a pm to 4 different people and received one reply.
    I did not pm you because I was not looking for help to swith over a D&M mill.
    I understand your frustration, however I was taught that charity is: "to give of yourself expecting nothing in return"( a quote from my late father). It is a wonderfull thing to know the fruits of your generosity and we all hope to be appreciated. As I was reading this thread for the first time I was amazed at your generosity twoards those in need here. So if there is any consolation for you I appreciated and recgonized your efforts even if those you helped did not. We need to give everyone the bennifit of the doubt because there really are others like yourself out there (they just don't label them for you!).
    If you noticed I returned here and posted some info I learned to help out someone else. I have yet to recieve a reply to my request but it was worth a shot.
    Jeff
    PS our expectations of others will likely lead to dissapiontment ....

No sorry it's not you. Just some other jack asses that think I owe them something. I give them every thing I know and they just complain when I don't get back to them soon enough as if this is the only thing I do. You wouldn't believe the time I have taken to help people with there machines. Tons of E-mails, picture up loads, even phone calls. I was having fun until recently when a few started rubbing me the wrong way and acting like they were paying for my help or something. I'm just doing this because I like to help people.

Any way I'm sorry to come across that way and would be more than happy to help if you send me your E-mail address I will send you some info on how I did my retrofit.

Thanks, Dale P.

[email protected]

jkcab Guest

Lab-Volt 5500

Dale,
    Sorry for the frustration. I will do this on the site for the binifit of others and if by chance you are still able to help I will Take you up on your offer and pm you. Here goes: I purchased a labvolt 5500/D&M lathe. The lathe powers up and functions from the front panel. The only problem I could find with the machine was the missing key to the emergencey stop. After much research and reading about how Lab-Volt will not help I decided to try anyway. I emailed support and John Sneyeer was more than happy to assist. He provided me with the level 4 software needed to down load and comunicate with the lathe. I could not find an old serial cable (unbelievable since I save nearly every thing LOL) so I had to make one. Suprize it didn't work. I opened up the back to find the first generation PC/104 embedded computer. The expantion I/O card on top carries both serial and floppy comunications along with the BIOS. I hooked up an old floppy drive and booted the lathe with a new firmware disk made from the download page of Lab-Volt. The drive booted and ran but failed to update the firmware. John said if I send back the card they will atempt to troubleshoot it but more than likely it will need to be upgraded to a 586 with newer software ($800.00+). The level 4 software they sent is not bad and you can import from another program and just use it for comunications. That being said I see little advantage to the upgrade. I am sure it is more efficient but I don't have the desposable $. I pulled the board and found that it was made by ZF MicroSystems inc. The company was bought out in 2002 and the e-mail reply I received said that the board was discontinued prior to the take over. Dave from Microsystems said he would check with his boss but I have e-mailed twice and have heard nothing in reply. The later model lathes have what is called a caged system. You can recgonize them because they already have a floppy atached. It seems you can hook up all your periferals: keyboard, video card, monitor and mouse and troubleshoot the system. I am looking for an old isa pc/104 video card in hopes of seeing whats going on on bootup with the floppy. I unfortunatly do not see any place to attach a key board. If you read my earlier post (provided you hung in there this long LOL) you will note I am converting a half converted Spectramill to Mach 3 with someones home grown EZ cnc driver board. Extreme learning curve! From this experience I can see no advantage to doing the same to the lathe except as a last resort. The lathe has optical pickups on both the spindle and it's drive motor along with the X and Z axis. In addition it has four limit/home switches and the cheetha speed control I beleive is looking for a zero to ten volt signal. Lots of new hurdles I would like to avoid. I am still jumping with the mill and my body is old and tired. I love new challanges just not all at once. I am very familiar with the concept of making a tool to make a tool but I am becoming discouraged. My 9 yr old twins asked me what I wanted for Fathers day beside tools? I think tools for the neighbor so he will stop borrowing mine? Thanks for reading ... hope someone can help.
    Jeff

Jeff,

When I first got my mill my plan was to keep the machine original and run the old software too, but after messing around with the machine I soon changed my mind and went with a retrofit that allowed me to run what ever software and computer I wanted to.

The trouble with the original systems is you are limited to using the D&M software and an out dated computer. I'm not sure about the level 4 software, but the older versions only work in a DOS operating system so a windows based computer is out of the question. Also the D&M software is OK, but there is no support for it so if you run into any trouble you won't find anyone that can help. Another part that I didn't like was the way you booted programs into the mill to run. It was really slow to do and making changes to the program wasn't easy to do.

In the end I decided to convert my mill to run with Mach 3 software and run with a windows based computer. The retrofit is pretty easy to do and only requires a basic knowledge of wiring, and it can be done for a reasonable price. The cost of the retrofit will mostly be based on the type of breakout board you buy and if you decide to add any extras to the machine such as home and limit switches. Most people are able to perform the work for $200 to $300 which is a lot less than the $800 that Lab Volt wants to fix your machine. Retrofitting the machine also means that some of the original boards and controls will have to be removed so you have to make the decision if you want your machine to be original or not.

To me the advantages of the retrofit out weighed the idea of keeping the machine stock. Mach 3 is a great program to use and there is a ton of free help avalible on the internet. Other programs such as EMC can be used too so your choices aren't limited to just one operating system. Also having a windows based computer system is a lot handier that an old 586! I can run CAM software, search the web, and more with the same computer that runs the mill.

I have a write up showing the steps that are needed for a retrofit but it's too large to post here so if you give me an address to send it to I will send it over.

Dale P.

jkcab Guest
    Dale,

I'm not sure when but D&M was sold to Lab-Volt some time in the 90s. The PC/104 standard was not invented untill 95 and the card manufacturer told me my card was discontinued prior to 2002. The level 4 software that Lab-Volt sent is a windows based software that operates on my xp system.
    They are currently runing level 5 software but I'm not sure what the differences are. With the level 4 I can use my Rhino CAD/CAM package and just dump the G-CODE throuh it to the lathe.
    The X86 platform is not being used to run an OS like your PC. It is just being used to run the internal controll software and act as a pulse generator. Since the single board computer is not dealing with an OS interface along with all the periferials it is more than sufficient. The only advantage to upgrading to the 586 sys they suggest is faster comunications, better compatability and presumably ethernet connection as oposed to rs232. The 586 woud be like a v8 in a VW bug.
    The level 4 software has some really nice features. If you want to thread you can just select the appropreiate size and a start location and it will do the rest. If you have special threads you can specify all the peramiters. You can also switch to coversational G-code if your into that. Installing the breakout board and wiring the two drivers should be easy. I am more concerned about the pickups for the spindel and its motor. That will also result in some macros for the Mach software. I'm not that great at software and it seems silly to do over what is already done.
    I do however understand exactly were your coming from. The first lathe I had was a SpectraLight/Sherline with a fancy windows 95 IBM and an internal ISA control card. It used some old sloooow DOS program and you had to manually G-CODE. If that were the case I would be converting now instead of typing. After I messed up three times I would then come here to desperatly ask for help and you would say: your a day late and a dollar short LOL.
    I just ran my first program this morning on the SpectraLight mill it is the same set up as the D&M you have. I am using Rhinocam with a Mach 3 post. I compleated the auto draw bar and made a few tool holders on the south bend utill I can get the cnc lathe going. I didn't hook up the numatics yet just the internal parts for the spindel. I have to depress the drawbar spring manually to make a tool change but it works great. The holders is an ER16 taper with a pull stud. I think instead of using a .5 tool holder for the fly cutter I will make a new integrated one. Well I am getting off topic here. I can't seem to figure out how to insert a pic so I will PM you.
    Jeff

edit: wiring isnt done still need to clean it up a bit, but everything is functional, i had fun with the limit switches aswell took them of the doors and will be using them in other projects. thanks dale for sending me some info. gave up on EMC2 not being able to find my parallel card and couldnt upgrade due to me having to disable my onboard lan to get emc2 to boot up, thought about installing emc2 on ubuntu 8.0.4 and figured xp was a disc away. installed mach3, typed in the parport addy and i was finally jogging the machine, calibrated the steps to motors.

i have a prolight 1000 and emco pc mill 50 that i can retrofit as well. but i want to start learning how to use these machines in a productive manner, and then my father has a couple bigger mills I can play on..

its not easy finding time for this stuff being a teenager!!!!

jkcab Guest

D&M RETROFIT

Nolimit,

Nice job on the retrofit. Great to see there are still some industrious youth out there! If you read my posts on this thread you will see I am in need of some parts. I was wondering if you had the pc104 single board computer parts that were in this unit originally?
    Jeff

hey jeff, i still might have the computer, or i might have thrown it out. ill check when i get home and let you know!

Hi everyone
    I am looking for any info on the D&M / Lab Volt 5400 CNC mill. I pick up a Lab Volt mill for a good price but it came with no info. I would also like any info on retrofitting these machines just in case the original software isn’t worth using.
    Thanks for any help
    Jessie

Quote Originally Posted by NoLimit View Post
    Does anyone have the information Dale was offering? I e-mailed him and PM'ed him and still no response. :/

Thanks in advance
    I'm also looking for the same info...tried emailing him but no reply been a couple weeks, figure he's got other stuff going on ....

jkcab Guest
    Ok guys sorry I have been so long getting to this reply!
    Joe, I PM'D you with some info to get you started and realized I should of posted it here for Jesse's benifit as well. Dale is a very nice guy and sometimes it takes a while for him to get back to you. Jesse, If your mill is a lab-volt you are in luck. The current software is pretty decient. If every thing seems to be working when you fire it up check the front screen and tell me what the firm ware version it is running. I have updated firmware and level 4 software I can send you. Level 5 is the latest version but you would have to purchase that and I don't think the older machines will run it. The first thing you need to check is the electronics in the back. I need to know if you have a caged system or the older control board with a PC/104 serial card attached. A caged system will have a floppy drive attached inside the back. The purpose of the floppy is for firmware updates. Lab-Volt still offers support for these mills and John Snyeres is very helpful. He will help in identifiying your mill and send you the appropriate firmware along with a copy of the level 4 software. He will also provide you with trouble shooting help via email or phone free of charge. Lab-Volt is located in north Jersey and though others may say different they are very kind and helpful. If there is a hardware problem the parts are not available and the system would then need to be updated. Updating the system as you can imagine is quite exspensive. The serial card in the 5500 lathe is non responsive and not likely repairable. John suggested I update to a 586 system at a cost of $800.00. I believe this included the newer software and if so not really all that expensive just outside the budget. Basically these machines are operated by a single board computer (SBC) on the X86 PC/104 platform. You more than likely have a 386 model installed from ZF Microsystems. Hope this helps a bit.
    Jeff

Hey guys my first post here I think?
    Must be labvolt changed the the way they offer support! I talked with that same guy John at tech support he was very helpful but wanted $80.00 per hour phone or email support! Needless to say I went off on his boss. Lab-volt does offer a Cad-Cam based software program for there machines it's called Fabricus 5460 for the Mill. BTW Dale P.is a GREAT GUY who has help me in the past and his tech support was free! so take that Labvolt LOL! I do have the lathe and mill level 4 software with manuals and it does run on widows but from what I've read here Labvolt will cough it up now... but at what cost?
    CYA

Hey everyone. I'm looking for some help with my D&M 4.

I'm a new teacher and the classroom I took over has one of these machines in it. (I've attached a few pictures). Right now, when I turn the machine on, the stall light blinks and I can't do anything. None of the controls work.
    After opening the back, and reading this thread, you can see my machine doesn't have the onboard floppy drive. With some fiddling around withe front panel connections, I've managed to get the spindle to spin up and change speed.
    I'm looking for any help and information about how to get this machine operational again. I have the original software on 5.25" floppy disks, but I don't have the original computer (or a floppy drive) to connect to it.
    I do have a newer desktop that I can use, I assume, to run EMC2 and control it.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this machine. I would like to have the students create small plastic and wood projects with the machine.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mill 001small.jpg   Mill 002small.jpg  

Anyone know about a D&M 6 Machining Center? Found one for a great price & am kicking it around. Comes with a Lathe also, but not sure which model. What is the spindle taper on them? Also, what is the max RPM?

Thanks!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldIsleforg View Post
    Anyone know about a D&M 6 Machining Center? Found one for a great price & am kicking it around. Comes with a Lathe also, but not sure which model. What is the spindle taper on them? Also, what is the max RPM?
    I'm not exactly sure about the 6.. but I have a 5s.. and it uses the standard MT1 taper as the machine inside is basically a Sherline 5000 series mill.

The max spindle speed is around 3000rpm for mine, but this will depend on the setting for the speed controller and the pulley wheels on your machine.

Michael

Page 3 of 4 1234