587,259 active members*
3,185 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SheetCam > sheetcam -> Mach2 problem/question

sheetcam -> Mach2 problem/question

my plasma table is all setup and wired, I'm using the demo versions of SheetCam and Mach2.

I've imported a DXF drawing of a really big 'washer'. 10cm diameter with 5cm hole in the center. just to watch my machine move in a circle.

problem: after loading into Mach2, my machine rapids to 0,0.. pauses, then rapids to Pierce point (the beginning of the first lead-in)

at this point, everything stops. Mach2 is still ticking the seconds away, but nothing moves. not even the DROs.

the only warning i get in Sheetcam is Zero Spindle Speed. (dont know if this is the answer to my own question, but I can't even find a spindle speed setting in sheetcam)

any ideas?
    -anthony

Look at the bottom of the Mach2 screen, is there an error message there? could you post the first few lines of gcode where the problem occurs?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

have continued experimenting.. choosing "Mach2" as the post processor gets things
    moving, but my torch relay doesn't trigger when the actual cut begins

am using one of the output's on bobcampbell's breakout board. the LED doesn't light either.

(no torch attached yet)

-anthony

"the only warning i get in Sheetcam is Zero Spindle Speed"

Perhaps is rotory still active ? Disable it

Dave

Hi Anthony,

You need to use a plasma post processor if you are plasma/flame cutting. Plasma1.post is probably the best one for you.

Les

I just tried Plasma1 with better results (at least the file ran to completion).
    still, my virtual torch is turning on at start of run and turning off at end of run.

no real torch control.
    cutting even during rapids.

tried basicplasma.post, plasma1.post, and mach2.post

something i'm missing?

-anthony

Do you need the torch to be on for the THC to work properly?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

In Mach2 have a look at the diagnostics page. Can you see the spindle(torch) output turning on and off?

Les

Quote Originally Posted by anthony
    I just tried Plasma1 with better results (at least the file ran to completion).
    still, my virtual torch is turning on at start of run and turning off at end of run.

no real torch control.
    cutting even during rapids.

tried basicplasma.post, plasma1.post, and mach2.post

something i'm missing?

-anthony

no THC on this table yet.

i just posted some pics in the Plasma forum.

locost: haven't check on the diagnostics page, but LED on my breakoutboard (output for 'spindle') does turn on at the begining of the program.

if i'm cutting a big washer, the torch (LED) turns on to cut the inner profile, but doesnt turn off when it moves to the outter profile. i think i'm in some kind of "milling" mode. where the spindle ramps up, moves in, mills, ramps out, spins down.

-anthony

Your machine looks really good. Mine comes into the 'looks awful but gets the job done' category :-)

If you look at the G-code you should be able to see the commands to turn the torch on and off. M03 turns it on, M05 turns it off.

Something else to try. Enter m03 into the MDI box. The torch should fire. Enter M05 and the torch should stop.

Les

Les,
    craziest thing is going on:
    1. Mach2 will not toggle my torch despite M03/M05 lines
    2. Mach3-Plasma will toggle my torch (same SheetCam code) but won't move my motors
    3. Mach3 (again, with all the same configurations, and the same SheetCam code) just worked without a hitch! the torch turns on and off when its supposed to! (well, my LED lights up at the right time, anyway)

thanks again for all your help, can't wait to get the torch wired up.
    -anthony

That's wierd. Well at least you have it running now.

Les

Hi

While running in a simulation(offline) mode, is the dwell light blinking? It's located just above the reset button( if you load the 1024.set screens)

Perhaps, can you post your copy of profile in here?

I'm also using SheetCAM and Mach2, everything is the same except that I'm using Oxy, and I'm using a magnetic solenoid to act as my Z-Axis. Wished Art could drop by here and have a look...

Remix...

Spinle strangeness

Hi Guys:

I have seen amny with trouble turning on the spindle (torch) in the MAch's. The problem normally is spindle speed ot Arc Good. Let me explain. In normal CNC it is an error to turn on a spindle with no speed set, plasma people rarely think of this of course as they have no spindle. This is easily solved, in the config/state menu there is a init string settting. In it, place a "S100", so everytime you start the unit, it sets the spindle speed to 100. It will kill the "No spindle speed " error. The other problem I see that will do as you describe is the "Arc Good" or "THC On" input signal. The program is set to stop movement if the Torch goes out while in THC mode. So if you dont use a "THC On" input signal, make sure the "Low active" selection for that signal is set so that the LED for it i salways on in the diags page. If you use THC, this led must be on before a program will run.
    I dont do much plasma, the guys who came up with the screens and methods involved , as I recall, did not take simulations into account. Actually runnign a cut seems to work, but I hear froma few that have problems trying to simulate. Usually, this is due to the TCH ON signal not being active..

Let me know if this doesnt seem to help, sorry for the trouble..

Art
    www.gearotic.com
    Art Fenerty