587,319 active members*
3,387 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Erratic tool release issue

for the last couple months i have been experiencing an erratic tool release during power up of the machine or when i push the MDI button.

it happens intermittently and when you least expect it the drawbar will start unclamping and clamping non stop,usually resulting in a tool falling out of the spindle.

i have disassembled the z axis cover and cleaned and checked the wires and connections to try and alleviate this problem but i believe it may be some sort of electrical component or circuit.

before i look any further has anyone had issues like this before and what do you suggest?

thank you in advance
    2007 Haas TMP-1 Microscribe MX-5 Mastercam X4 Mill Level 3 Surfaces,Solids Seagate 2 tb hard drive AMD 64x2 8gig ram windows ultimate 7 64bit Geoforce 8800 GTX

Check to remote tool release button on the head cover for shorts. If you have coolant leaks in the head, it can cause the switch to short out and behave as described. Also, try disableing the switch and run that way for a while and see if the issue goes away. If it does, replace the switch.

Good luck!

the tool release button on the z axis cover did look a little suspicious. and the connector was covered in goo and could not be seperated.

i will disable the parameter and give sone time to repeat itself.

thank you very much for your advice.

tim
    2007 Haas TMP-1 Microscribe MX-5 Mastercam X4 Mill Level 3 Surfaces,Solids Seagate 2 tb hard drive AMD 64x2 8gig ram windows ultimate 7 64bit Geoforce 8800 GTX