587,223 active members*
3,188 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Proper way to lift an ML15 lathe

Proper way to lift an ML15 lathe

Getting an ML15 X40 lathe , and need to know the proper way to lift .
    Can I remove the chip drawer and put wood blocks on the fork tips to catch the bottom of the bed , or do I have to jack up the legs onto timbers and lift down lower .
    I have also heard there is a way to use nylon slings to cradle under the bed and do a top lift with the forks above the machine .
    4,000# is not so scary , but I sure don't want to flip it over .
    Thanks .

I just use a bar.

If you sling the bed, the center of gravity of the headstock will be above the lifting point, so it can still fall over, and they do!

Attach above the CG and it will be safer.

I put a bar through the chuck and out of the end of the headstock.
    At the saddle end I make the bar go into the tailstock and lock it all in position.

Then a sling from near the tailstock and and around the piece sticking out of the headstock.

Lift slightly, then move the carriage along to get the balance right.
    Lock the carriage. Make sure the lifting point can't slide along the sling. Once they tilt end ways, they usually keep going till vertical or the ground arrives first.

Make sure the tailstock is securely locked, and the sling can't slide away from the tailstock and muck up the balance.

Use a lifting jib with the fork lift, and possibly a restraining chain to the fork tower guard. Good practice.

Bottom line. DON'T drop it, but lifting it high like this will not allow it to tip over. (unless the fork is not rated for the job!)

Observers need to watch carefully, but keep themselves well clear.
    Move slowly.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

As an aside , watch you don't drive over any manholes- the combined weight of the forklift and lathe will rupture the manhole and you'll end up at thirty degrees to the ground.

Don't ask how I know this...
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

And In might add..

If the fork has pneumatic tires ensure they are all inflated to the correct pressure. and corner very slowly.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

My ML 20 has ribbs between the ways frame and I lifted on the one next to the chuck and the last one by the tail stock. Have heard of riggers breaking the chuck out of the head stock. this lift will still be very top heavy. If you use fork lift spread forks as wide as the legs on the frame.
    good luck
    The Farmer

Lifting the machine using the chuck/spindle may cause damage to the spindle bearings. They are not designed to have this type of load. My advise is to lift the machine from the bottom or call Milltronics as they have lifting devices that lift from the bed ways. In most cases these devices can be rented out.

Hello and I happen to own an ML15 and have moved it 5 times now and in the machine manual for this lathe they suggest lifting under the bed with a forlift or sling it. I have done it both ways and never had a problem at all when moving the lathe. This is the last move i will make with it though...Dang I hate moving machines as it seems to never fail that something gets broke. I can say one thing though that this ML15 I have never broke anything on it and this is really a great machine and very very very dependable.
    Cheers,
    Glen

I checked out the Milltronics manual on this machine and it is a bit vague .
    It simply states " lifting with a fork lift is preferred " but does not elaborate beyond that .
    I know about the lifting plate that bolts to the bed , if an overhead lift is done .
    That is not an option in this move .
    After checking the machine , I see that my best option will be to remove the chip drawer , balance the weight by moving carriage & tailstock to the right , then place a couple of timbers on the forks and lift from the bottom of the bed .
    I realize this will still be a top heavy condition , but as long as we have hard level terrain, a slow move should do the trick .
    I plan to bolt some 6 ft timbers to the feet ( front to back ) so it will be stable on the trailer . We are only doing a 60 mile move on good roads .
    There is not a good way to run straps over the top of the machine , but I figure to strap the leg timbers , then remove the back access panel of the enclosure , put some rubber belting and a timber across the top of the ways , and get at least 1 wide belt over the top .