587,096 active members*
6,896 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Digital photography help....
Page 1 of 2 12

Digital photography help....

I month or so ago, I bought a new digital camera. My first digital was a very cheap, simple polaroid. No zoom, not too many settings to fumble with. It was 'ok'.

The one I now have is a Jujifilm FinePix S5100 ( http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epa...ecSheets789910 ). 10x optical zoom, several settings/adjustments. I read through the manual, but that just seems to make things just as confusing as to when to use what settings when.

Just looking for some tips if anyone has any. One thing I"ve noticed already, is that it has a really hard time focusing when zoomed to the fulll 10x on anything closer than approx. 10 feet. Is this normal?

I'd eventually like to add a few assesories. One being a telephoto lens. Not really sure why, as I don't take pictures of stuff that really need it. I just think it would be cool.

And maybe sometime in the future (next year or two), I'd like to get a telescope (no idea of size/power - never owned one), and have the camera mounted to it. Is this possible?

Any suggestions/pointers appreciated.

I have the Fuji S602Z and it takes a while to learn all the options, mine has 2 macro settings also. I was fortunate enough to be at a function where I met a camera professional with the same model, 15 minutes talking with him were worth hours reading the instructions and trying to figure it out. But the most important thing I found out early is these cameras are battery hogs, I rapidly got a Powerex MH-C204F charger with two sets of 2200mAh rechargable batteries (ebay).
    One option I miss from the 35mm days is a remote operation feature which should be easy on a electronic camera.
    Happy shooting :cheers:
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I've actually been pleasantly surrprised by the battery life. I'd estimate that we've taken over 300 images (at highest quality setting) and I think the batteries have only needed recharged once, maybe twice.

Now all I need to do is find a pro. photographer, stalk him for a while, and 'accidently' bump into him at the next public event he attends. Is that what you did Al?

I've had pretty good luck just leaving it on it's 'auto' setting. But have had to try a few different settings when taking picture of reflective object, and closeups.

The biggest thing is lighting! I can't stress that enough, good lighting makes such a difference. Plus, try the same photo with and without a flash - often people use a flash when it isn't needed. 90% of the time you can leave it on AUTO. But, using your mode dial in the right setting (outdoors, action, etc) really does make a difference. You also hav manual focus capability on the S5100 - which means you can get creative with fancy DOF shots (like this one I did, for example).

It is common for it to not focus on very close object when you are fully zoomed. Simply zoom out a bit and get closer. I don't think the S5100 has a macro mode, so you will have to deal with that issue if you need to do any close-up detail shots.

Best thing is to just use the heck out of it. The more you use it, the better you get. :cheers:
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

JavaDog, thanks for the info! The S5100 does have a macro function, I"m just not sure sure how/when to use it.

We're leaving for vacation on Monday so it will definately get used! One thing I'm worried about is using it at night (vegas). Do you think the auto setting will work ok while taking pictures of something in the foreground, but also capturing lights in the background?

I've noticed without the flash, the shutter speed is usually slow enough to cause alot of blur. But I guess as you said, use correct lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by DAB_Design
    JavaDog, thanks for the info! The S5100 does have a macro function, I"m just not sure sure how/when to use it.

We're leaving for vacation on Monday so it will definately get used! One thing I'm worried about is using it at night (vegas). Do you think the auto setting will work ok while taking pictures of something in the foreground, but also capturing lights in the background?

I've noticed without the flash, the shutter speed is usually slow enough to cause alot of blur. But I guess as you said, use correct lighting.
    Hmm...I didn't see it on the spec sheet. Macro is for very close up, detailed shots. I had to set my camera to macro to get this shot. The body of that toy is only 1.5".

Few things with night pictures. Set the mode dial to the little "Star and Moon" to put the camera in night-mode. That will help a little. For shots of the lights/the strip - a tripod and a longer shutter speed help - but may not be what you are looking to do.

Indoors in poor lighting, a tripod is really needed with a digi - the flash will usually ruin a picture indoors in the dark.

Something else to play with is the Shutter Priority Mode. You can force the camera to use a fast shutter speed (reduce the chance of blur) but then it takes in less light. Slow shutter speed can get you cool effect, like the blurred waterfall type picture - but a tripod is a must for those type of shots.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

What type of lighting (flash?) was used on that toy?

Since I can't see myself carrying a tripod around the strip, I guess I'll just use your suggestions and take a couple shots with different settings.

You've been a great help. I'm sure I'll post the pictures after we return somewhere to show how poorly a photographer I am.

What type of lighting (flash?) was used on that toy?
    Sunlight, long-exposure (1.5 seconds). I used a white card to bounce the sunlight back onto the toy to reduce shadows.

Since I can't see myself carrying a tripod around the strip, I guess I'll just use your suggestions and take a couple shots with different settings.

You've been a great help. I'm sure I'll post the pictures after we return somewhere to show how poorly a photographer I am.
    Yeah, tripods aren't usually welcome on vacation!

Try the night mode, that will make a difference. You can set your camera to auto-bracket as well. It will take three shots, each with slightly different timings - then you can choose the best of the three later. Not really for off-the-hip quick shots though. Make sure to post some, I'm sure they will come out great! :cheers:

"Yeah, tripods aren't usually welcome on vacation!"

Java that all depends on what kind of vacation you take. I am an ex-professional studio photographer. I did it all. Weddings, sports, commerical, portraits, family groups, babies, glamor, passport, school day and senior. It was these last two that burned me out. I lived in Lawton Oklahoma and photographed 20,000 school children from the fall till spring and all the seniors were worked in my "spare time". I have had the privilege of photographing three Miss America contestants. Miss Arkansas, Miss Oklahoma and Miss Colorado. Now this might be stretching it a bit as the last two miss's were the same person.

Dab it is funny you mention this problem with the Fuji camera. My son-in-law just bought my daughter a Fuji S 3000 and you can't use very much of the zoom whether up close or at a distance. It just goes so far out of focus you can't see anything. So far I haven't found manual focus on this one. BTw the pic's I have sent you are from this camera.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

I can help you with just about ANY question you have about photography.

All lenses have what is called a Minimum Focus Distance. The longer the lens (the more zoom it has) the longer the min focus distance. (varies by lens / camera)

You can decrease focus distance by using what is called an "Extension Tube".. These are spacers that go between the camera and the lens. (your camera must be an SLR type with removable lenses to do this) An extension tube will allow you to take a focused picture right at the lens surface but your DOF (Depth of Field) will be less than 1mm.
    I don't like flying insects that sting so I use a 400mm lens to get close to them.. My minimum focus distance with that lens is ~9ft so I put an extension tube on the camera and I can decrease that distance to about 3 feet..

The wasp below was taken from about 6 feet away with a 400mm lens handheld..

Here is a tip that will save you money in the long run..Remember this when purchasing photography equipment.
    "Camera bodies come and go but you will be married to the lens you buy"

Cameras and Lenses are like computers and computer monitors. Computer technology advances quickly where as the monitor technology advances very slowly.. Its the same with cameras.. That brand new camera you bought will be a piece of junk in about 3 years.. But whatever lens you bought 5 years ago will still be sold today.. (most of the time).. My point is: do not skimp on money when you buy your glass. Save money when you buy your camera, but don't spare any when you buy your glass or you'll be kicking yourself later.

I have a D60 camera which means I have a 1.6X focal multiplier..This is due to the fact that the sensor in the camera is slightly smaller than a normal 35mm film frame so if I am using a 400mm lens, my real focal length is 640mm. This is great until you want to go with a wide angle lens.. Then your fighting it.. I'm not sure if your camera has this same focal multiplier but if it does then you are going to want to get a fisheye lens for your in-door shooting because a standard 28mm is going to act like a 50mm.

Now a little lesson on lenses.
    The first and most important thing about any lens is NOT how long it is but how big its aperture is. This is that F number as in F1.2 or F4 or F11 etc etc. The smaller this number is, the better the lens. For indoors, you want a lens with a minimum of 2.8 or you will get blurry photos. (unless your in a studio with lots of light).

Here is the deal.. The less light you have available for shooting, the slower your shutter speed is going to be. you can make up for this by increasing the size of the lens aperture. Ok.. I can go on forever.

If there is anything I can help you out with , please ask.
    Murphy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wasp1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by JavaDog
    Few things with night pictures. Set the mode dial to the little "Star and Moon" to put the camera in night-mode. That will help a little. For shots of the lights/the strip - a tripod and a longer shutter speed help - but may not be what you are looking to do.

Indoors in poor lighting, a tripod is really needed with a digi - the flash will usually ruin a picture indoors in the dark.

Something else to play with is the Shutter Priority Mode. You can force the camera to use a fast shutter speed (reduce the chance of blur) but then it takes in less light. Slow shutter speed can get you cool effect, like the blurred waterfall type picture - but a tripod is a must for those type of shots.
    Using a digi and flash indoors will NOT RUIN a picture. In fact, digital cameras take better dark photos than any film camera could ever do. (which is why every astronomer in the world switched to digital as soon as it was economical)

Here are a few night time pics for you: (and I am considered an amateur)
    And one with a little color..

I know guys who attached their off the shelf digital camera to the back of their telescopes and take pictures of other Galaxy's that almost made me fall over.. To the untrained eye, these photos rival the quality of the hubble photos on the internet!!!! (an taken with a $1000 telescope and SLR digital camera.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3908 copy.jpg   Img_7624_7625copy2_Small copy.jpg   IMG_9542 copy.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by murphy625
    Using a digi and flash indoors will NOT RUIN a picture.
    Let me rephrase. Using a flash incorrectly indoors will make for a crappy picture no matter the camera. Often times when people think they need a flash, they don't.

Great pictures, btw. Love the color on the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaDog
    Let me rephrase. Using a flash incorrectly indoors will make for a crappy picture no matter the camera. Often times when people think they need a flash, they don't.

Great pictures, btw. Love the color on the last one.
    Why do you think using a flash will create problems???

My attitude about flash or not to flash is based on the F-stop I want vs. the shutter speed I need to freeze the subject.

Sometimes, I even use a flash outdoors when its a sunny day.. (the flash will eliminate the shadows the sun creates).

The biggest problem with cameras and flashes is that most consumer (lower end) cameras have a built in flash that ONLY points forward in the direction of whatever your shooting. SLR cameras can take an external flash unit that can point in any direction and can you can attach a mini-diffuser to them. (lack of diffusers are a major drawback with low end cams)

What kind of problems are you having with your flash?? I can probably show you a way to fix them and you will begin to love that flash instead of viewing it as an undesirable necessity when used.

Thanks for the comment on the photos.

Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by murphy625
    The biggest problem with cameras and flashes is that most consumer (lower end) cameras have a built in flash that ONLY points forward in the direction of whatever your shooting. SLR cameras can take an external flash unit that can point in any direction and can you can attach a mini-diffuser to them. (lack of diffusers are a major drawback with low end cams)

What kind of problems are you having with your flash?? I can probably show you a way to fix them and you will begin to love that flash instead of viewing it as an undesirable necessity when used.

Thanks for the comment on the photos.

Murphy
    When I was using my Film SLR - I did use my flash quite often.
    However, my digital does not have a hot-shoe so I am stuck with the crappy flash that is built-in. You'll notice the Fuji S5100 that DAB has is in the same boat. Now, when I get my new Pentax - I will be more than happy to dig out my external flash unit and my slaves. :cheers:

I'm not having problems with my flash, per se, it's just that I find it unnecessary.

Have a read of my mates "photo-tute" it's got some really good tips to get good results with pretty much any digital camera.

http://www.dansdata.com/phototute.htm

Cheers,
    Alan.

Garfield, thanks for the link. I'll definately give it a good read once I have the time.

This is the best photograph forum on the internet.

www.dpreview.com

Hope this helps,
    Murphy

Well, we got back from vacation on Friday. Got mixed results with the camera. I didn't really have time to play with it too much before we left. I"ve posted some images here. If anyone wants to take a look, feel free. I've posted some good, bad and ugly ones. Maybe someone will have some pointers.

Be warned though, they all were taken at the highest quality setting, and are currently uncompressed. They average ~1.8MB.

For anyone interested, we filled the memory card 3 times(thank god for walgreens ). And only changed batteries once. So approximately 360 images on 2 sets of batteries.

The guy doing the painting in the 2nd to last one was amazing. He had a little area set up on Freemont street. Believe it or not, he used spray paint to do that. No brushes. For the "strokes" he used a mixture of wadded newspaper, small pieces of cardboard and a paper plate for when he needed shapes (clean curves). Took him all of maybe 10 minutes to do a complete one. I have some pictures of other paintings(?) he did. We sat and watched him do 3. Breathtaking in my opinion.
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

I guess I should have said that the posted images are not compressed, or resized. They're kinda big.
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

These guys are photo wizards. All I'll add is that for web posting, I take my pictures at a 640 X 480 resolution and end up cropping them anyhow. LIGHTING is the key, along with a decent lense and a macro function.

98% of what I take is shop macro, and all the best pics are in the lathe or hand-held above the cross-slide, due to the 3 ea. halogen spots I have over the machine. The dark background adds a nice contrast IMO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bbl.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12