587,877 active members*
4,267 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid Evolution taking shape

Over the last year I have been collecting parts for a CNC Router. Initially I was going to build a Joes 4x4 Hybrid but then things started to evolve. I have enough room in my workshop for a 4x8 and it sure would come in handy to have the large cutting size every now and then ;-)

So I started to adapt the Hybrid to a 4x8 and incorporate rack and pinion drive on the X and Y axis, ball screw on the Z. My first pass was to use MDF as per Joes Hybrid but then of course 8020 and aluminium plate would be nice, a bit stiffer and less prone to damage. So the design evolved and evolved and now I'm starting to be quite happy with the result.

As I don't have any CNC capabilities I needed a design which could use MDF parts as initial structural members to get the router up and going before CNC machining the aluminium plates, So a two step build, firstly a combination of 8020 and MDF and then 8020 and Aluminium. I hope.

The orange X carriage was my initial MDF design.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hybrid2.jpg   hybrid3.jpg  

A couple more pics. I am planning to mount the ball screw through the centre of the 8020 extrusion to get the spindle overhang to a minimum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hybrid4.jpg   hybrid5.jpg  

Very nice looking renderings. Looking forward to seeing this come together.

RE: Hybrid Evolution Taking Shape

Is the gantry assembly drawing not yet complete, or are you really planning for the gantry to be "{cantilevered} over the main table area? With your table already so large the ends could left in the design as a part. of the gantry. Thanks for the clarification in advance, Joe (NO, NOT THE Joe who apparantly designed the Hybrid). What application did you use to create the renderings? Good Job!

No, drawings still in progress. I did a quick mirror over to show what it will eventually look like. Support frame still needs bracing but I'm thinking some cupboards in the base would be handy.

Modelling is in Inventor as well as the renderings. I'm tempted to do some in 3DS but I might wait until the end.

Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hybrid6.jpg   hybrid7.jpg  

Finally got a little more work done on the rack and pinion drives. I purchased all the pulleys and bearings ages ago from Stock Drive Products before CNC Router Parts brought out the R&P unit so I am kind of stuck with what I have. I am using a higher reduction which will suffer at top speed but for a gain in accuracy and torque at cutting speeds.

Has anyone used the 8020 Anchor Fasteners to connect a plate to the extrusions? I thought that it might give a neat connection to the side plate of the Y Carriage. Any thoughts?

Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hybrid10.jpg   hybrid11.jpg   hybrid12.jpg  

I've been tossing around a few ideas for tensioning the R&P drive. Turn buckles take up a lot of space so this is my take on using a compression spring. A little more time consuming to make but should do the job I hope.

Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hybrid13.jpg  

Nearly there... Z axis to complete and then some cable management.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hybrid14.jpg   hybrid15.jpg  

X-Axis carriage nearly complete...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hybrid16.jpg   hybrid17.jpg   hybrid18.jpg  

A couple of orthographics... Does anyone have a CAD model of a 2.2kW water cooled spindle? and a spindle mount?? Would be much appreciated.

Thanks Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hybrid19.jpg   hybrid20.jpg  

Design is getting closer to being finished. Day to day life and work just seem to get in the way.

This pic is not a rendering... this is the new modeling environment in Inventor, oh so nice but hungry for computer resources.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled1.jpg