587,827 active members*
2,995 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

A 1HP Taig Motor

Was looking around, and found a Leeson 1HP 2500RPM 90vDC motor available around $400. Trying to drive a 1.5 or 2" face mill in the Taig, so having plenty of power available would be handy. Any suggestions? Is this a pointless project?

If I do go ahead with the project, I'm trying to figure out how I should implement the motor. I would like to get the spindle up to 10,000 RPM but have no idea what the best way to do it would be. Any thoughts?

The belt will either slip or break is my guess, so you would need to devise a beefier belt system. also you would need to create a face mill that threads onto the spindle nose because a 3/8 shaft would be inadequate for that kind of milling.

Was looking around, and found a Leeson 1HP 2500RPM 90vDC motor available around $400. Trying to drive a 1.5 or 2" face mill in the Taig, so having plenty of power available would be handy. Any suggestions? Is this a pointless project?

If I do go ahead with the project, I'm trying to figure out how I should implement the motor. I would like to get the spindle up to 10,000 RPM but have no idea what the best way to do it would be. Any thoughts?
    The Taig comes with a motor sized properly to the machine, it is a 1/4 HP continuous duty rated motor. I would not suggest trying to bolt on a huge motor as the rest of the machine is simply not made for it.

If your wanting to face some stock I would suggest a fly cutter. Taig makes the 1224ER for the mill, and it's only $20, and you won't break your machine trying to use it.
    Jeff Birt

Also rigidity may be an issue a Taig simply is not designed to handle a big face mill so I would not be surprised if there is not enough rigidity in the Taig structure to do that well. It probably can do it just not without issues.

In fact I would guess that might be a bigger issue than the motor.

I say do it and if it dose not work out you can return it to stock.

I say do it and if it dose not work out you can return it to stock.
    Yeah, that's a good idea. Misuse something and then return it as new. Does not sound very ethical to me...
    Jeff Birt

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff-Birt View Post
    Yeah, that's a good idea. Misuse something and then return it as new. Does not sound very ethical to me...

I really don't think "Arich0908" was suggesting that.

I think he was just saying that "Burn" can put the Taig back to stock configuration if the motor didn't work out for him.

Dave
    Dave->..

I was planning on picking up a 1.5" face mill. Although my opinion on the matter is completely unfounded by fact, I thought that a 1HP motor would be able to handle that kind of face mill.

As far as rigidity goes, I really don't know how to improve the mill's rigidity...I haven't seen too many Taig modifications that would increase stiffness. Any ideas, opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Burn View Post
    Any ideas, opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Smaller cutters, smaller radial and axial steps, and faster feeds. The Taig version of high speed machining.
    If you really need big cutters and brut force type milling get a bigger mill.

Burn,

Here's one that I saved for reference, hope this may help you.

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails supports2[2].0_installed.jpg   supports_2[2].0_detail.jpg   supports_ver2[2].0_uninstalled.jpg   taig_full%20setup.jpg  

Dave->..

Hi Dave,

That looks awesome! What material did you make it out of?

No sir, it's not mine, just a project I came accross on the net somewhere. It looks to be aluminum to me with the brass "pads" that go up against the machines.

I also have another idea for you as well.

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mill_largeZsupport.jpg  
    Dave->..

Quote Originally Posted by fretsman View Post
    Burn,

Here's one that I saved for reference, hope this may help you.

Dave
    I wonder how much force is put into clamping those brass pieces into the column. I think that's a great idea though, it definitely looks sturdy. I wonder if they bolted the uprights in place though?

I wonder if they bolted the uprights in place though?
    I would certainly think so.

Keep in mind, depending on how heavy/large this 1 HP motor is, that Z column is not your only weak point. Of course I have no idea how you plan on mounting this motor, but the motor support that is on there now may need some "extra" help, or even replaced with a different design if you plan on going that route.

The original motors that are on the Taig to begin with are quite a load on the headstock as it is.

Dave
    Dave->..

The Leeson 1hp is 6.5dia and 16" OA length. C face mount.
    Not sure what the weight is.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I really don't think "Arich0908" was suggesting that.

I think he was just saying that "Burn" can put the Taig back to stock configuration if the motor didn't work out for him.
    Your right I could have indeed been misinterpreting his response. My apologies
    Jeff Birt

From this page, it says that the motor weighs 34 lbs.
    http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/dc_motors.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Burn View Post
    From this page, it says that the motor weighs 34 lbs.
    http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/dc_motors.htm
    Perhaps you should bolt the taig to that .

There are some 1100W 6000/10,000 rpm brushless motors in product announcement forum. Motor weight is 8.4lb, cost for motor and controller is $350. But I can't comment on the quality/reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff-Birt View Post
    Your right I could have indeed been misinterpreting his response. My apologies
    No worries, Jeff, we're all human

Dave
    Dave->..

Quote Originally Posted by japroach View Post
    Perhaps you should bolt the taig to that .

There are some 1100W 6000/10,000 rpm brushless motors in product announcement forum. Motor weight is 8.4lb, cost for motor and controller is $270. But I can't comment on the quality/reliability.
    haha- I will call them on Monday and ask if they can get me an exact weight of the motor- that may be its "pack" weight, so it + the box it sits in. We'll see. It seems VERY heavy for just a motor, though.

So you guys would suggest a higher-speed motor to get me up around 10,000 RPM on the taig instead of going for a beefier motor? My next question would be how does it affect tooling selection- can most typical endmills take 10,000 RPM?

Page 1 of 2 12