587,615 active members*
3,473 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Taig vs Shirline ?

I know it has been said before, my question is witch will be the better buy i like the taigs power feed, but i really like the shirline dc motor yes shirline is more money. i whant to here what you think of them thanks for your time. I should have put lathe up there so you no witch one im talking about.

I have used both and the Taig is much much stiffer than the sherline. It has been all around a much better mill.

If you want to play around in wax or other soft stuff, it probably doesn't matter what you use, but if you want to touch aluminum or steel I don't think there is much of a choice.

I regularly use my little Sherline mill to cut parts in aluminum, steel, stainless steel, brass, copper, and some plastics. I haven't used a Taig.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/vlmarshall

To me, this is a no brainer. Just look at the construction of the 2 machines. The Taig has a bit more mass and is more rigid. The taig has larger screws. The taig can take a little more punishment.
    Alot of people do amazing things with the sherline mills. These are typically not new to the process of manufacturing and understand what the little machines are capable of. The sherline is a great machine, but has to be operated well within its limits. which typically means alot longer machining times.

As I tell most people I talk to. The machines will make just about anything you want them to, as long as you operate them within their limits. The sherline just has greater limitations then the taig.

Mr. B., let us know what you get and how it works out for you.