587,231 active members*
4,827 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Stepper motor as a spindle motor
Page 1 of 2 12

Stepper motor as a spindle motor

Im getting ready to change my motor on my X1.
    I have the option to purchase a 3 hp motor.
    Im second guessing if its right for me. Plus a tread mill motor has a fan on it thats only suppose to spin one way to cool the motor off . What If I need to spin the motor in the other way. Itll over heat. Thats the case with 99% of treadmill motors.
    If I were to use a stepper motor on my spindle what would be = to a few HP so this way if I ever CNC I have full control over it.
    Can I use a regular DC controller drive with a stepper motor.
    How would you go bought doing it

Steppers have too few RPM and too little power at the high rpm. A 3hp is extreme overkill and I doubt it would even fit. It'd dwarf an X1 if it is really a 3hp motor.

I didnt go searching for a 3hp I just got a great deal on it.
    I believe when they rate those there peak is 3hp and its more round 1.25 constant power hp.
    I seen a 1hp motor posted on here that was nice.
    As the one made for a taig lath by pen state .

A stepper motor would be terrible as a spindle motor. You need a proper stepper drive to run it, and the lack of smoothness would likely be a real problem. And you'd probably only be able to get a few hundred RPM out of a motor that big. Now a servo is a much better option and a lot of people use servo motors as spindle drives.

What would you use to run a servo motor ?

Quote Originally Posted by Arich0908 View Post
    What would you use to run a servo motor ?
    A servo drive.
    If you use one of the non-intelligent type, such as Advanced Motion Control that has analogue input and are using Mach you would need the PWM to analogue convertor such as used with VFD's.
    Or if a DC servo motor, there are SCR drives that can be run off of 120v or 240vac, depending on the motor voltage, made by KB or Baldor.
    Fairly reasonable price on ebay.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Ok I bought a 36v 500w dc motor .
    its 3/4 continuous HP .
    Ive been racking my head all day.
    I cant figure out what PWM controller to use.
    Does the new controller have to have the same options as my current one thats in the mill?
    How do I reverse the motor by switch or by the controller?
    Im tired of looking for them.
    Good thing is its exactly the same size in every way of the stock motor just more powerful.

Wow! 500w@36v is gonna be drawing nearly 14A - thats gonna need a big power supply and decent motor controller! Motor power is a good match for the mill, just hope it won't exposed its other deficiencies.

What controller do I get?
    I was going to use the kbic-120 people have had success with them but I dont see an option to reverse the motor on there. Or is that done via switch?

The way I thought of the mill when I bought it was I was going to be shaping and machining metal in no time. The motor on the mill wont do sqaught.
    Now every one said I wont be able to find tools for it but that part was untrue. There is everything thats for a r8 setup tht there is for a MT2.
    I even Have a ER32 setup for my mill. so Im happy in that aspect.
    The motor is complete garbage on it. So underpowered for what I pictured it would be. That is probably a big reason why it gets a bad rap.
    I took allot of the vibration/deflection out of it with a simple set of rubber feet that absorbs all of the vibration/ energy that it gives off.

I bought it and I dont have 500+ tools to buy a x2 so i just have to make due now. Besides its not that bad of size for what I need it for. Everything I picture in my head that i want to machining is not bigger than 6x6

S0o I just have to get this controller figured out ill be good.

The KBIC-120 is a 2 quadrant drive, which means you have to reverse the armature leads by switch or relay to reverse direction.
    There are 4 quadrant types that that will reverse by using a -10v-0-+10 signal instead of the 0-10v signal used by the 2 quadrant type.
    These mains energized SCR drives are a bit too high a voltage for a 36v motor, the recommended is 90v or 180vdc.
    If using an AMC for e.g. servo drive you also have the input choice of +-10vdc or change by switch/relay.
    Al.

Albert E.

I think you'll have a hard time finding a cheap controller for a 36V motor. And, you'll need a big transformer, rectifier, and some filter caps to power it. At that point, you'd do well to just go ahead an put an encoder on it, and run it with a servo drive. But, again, a suitable servo drive will not come cheap, due to the high current rating. You'd be much better off finding a motor with a 90-110V or 180-220V rating, so you can run it off a cheap thyristor driver, like the KBIC.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    The KBIC-120 is a 2 quadrant drive, which means you have to reverse the armature leads by switch or relay to reverse direction.
    There are 4 quadrant types that that will reverse by using a -10v-0-+10 signal instead of the 0-10v signal used by the 2 quadrant type.
    These mains energized SCR drives are a bit too high a voltage for a 36v motor, the recommended is 90v or 180vdc.
    If using an AMC for e.g. servo drive you also have the input choice of +-10vdc or change by switch/relay.
    Al.
    Its says in the specs there good for 0-90 VDC ?Its decied via plug in resiter.
    The motor I picked up isnt a sevro motor but just a plain DC motor with brushes .
    The KBIC does have a maximum output of only 9.5 amps. Now I dont know how many amps the motors needs but a few posts ago I was told upward around 14.
    Can you show me a drive Al you would recommend I should get. Everytime I think Ive located one for some reason or another i cant use it. Ide like to run the motor at 48v . Im going to be running the motor with aux fans on it for cooling.
    It would really help me if some one would show me a link as to what type of drive i should use. Remember its not a servo motor.

I dont necessarily need it to be cheap. Ive found power supply's.If I need one .
    Ide like to use a Driver board / power supply combo.
    I just need to find a driver board. I think I may grab the board from the x3 and use it. It has everything I want on it.

Hows this driver look? 0-90vdc revesible . Looks like a winner? What does the forum say?
    http://www.baldor.com/products/detai...ntrols_OneWay#

Catalog Number: BC154
    Specification Number:
    Horsepower: 2
    Input Voltage/Hertz: 115/230
    Input Phase - Rated: 1
    Enclosure: NEMA 4X
    CoolingType: CONVECTION
    AmbientTemperature Min: 0
    AmbientTemperature Max: 40
    Control Type: ANALOG
    Number of Axis: 1
    Operator Interface: POT
    Dynamic/Regenerative Braking: NONE
    Agency Approvals
    UL: Approved
    CSA: Approved
    CUL: Approved
    CE: Approved
    IEEE519: N/A
    Installed Options
    RS232: N/A
    RS422/RS485: N/A
    Pneumatic-In/Relay-Out: N/A
    Isolated Input: Optional
    Master/Pulse/Follower: N/A
    DC Tach Interface: N/A
    Hi-Res Analog Input: N/A
    Isolated Encoder: N/A
    Resolver Input: N/A
    Field Power Suppy: N/A
    Dimensions: 9.5"h x 5.9"w x 5"d

For a lot less money, you could buy a brand-new 30-phase motor, and a VFD... Running a 36V motor with a 90V controller is very likely to cook something.

Regards,
    Ray L.

The plug in resistor is for current limit depending on the size of the motor, not the voltage, I would still consider that too high for a 36vdc motor.
    The fact it is not a servo motor does not mean you cannot use it in the velocity mode on a servo drive.
    Something like this ebay #15038319269
    You can often find them cheaper even.
    BTW, KB & Baldor are the same, just a different label.
    The one you show is a 2 quadrant, so a switch would have to be added to reverse.
    You can also get the open frame ones to put in your own enclosure which runs a lot cheaper.
    Again, ebay is usually a cheaper option for these.
    I picked up a 4 quadrant that has dynamic braking and rev. for around $40.00.
    Al.

Albert E.

I think the question has to be asked, WHY? As a former X1 owner, the stock motor seems well-sized for the machine. If it stalls, you're probably pushing too hard. You are putting a jet engine on a go-kart here. Other than proving that it's possible, what is your goal here? The X1 is a fun little machine that is capable of a lot more than it looks like, but it's not something I'd put a lot of money or time into.

i just don't see any sense in putting a $500 or so motor setup (that will underperform to a vfd setup) on a micro mill that is roughly half the size of my benchtop drill press...

sorry thats just my $.02. If you have money to spend and you need more power i would sell the x1 and get a g0704 or something

Im not here to start an argument but most of you are wrong .
    They operate at from 0-90
    read
    Skip to page 14
    http://www.kbelectronics.com/manuals...smt_manual.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by sansbury View Post
    I think the question has to be asked, WHY? As a former X1 owner, the stock motor seems well-sized for the machine. If it stalls, you're probably pushing too hard. You are putting a jet engine on a go-kart here. Other than proving that it's possible, what is your goal here? The X1 is a fun little machine that is capable of a lot more than it looks like, but it's not something I'd put a lot of money or time into.
    Be cause im a man im bored and its what I want to do . Yes i could buy a x2 x3 or whatever but wheres the fun in that. You can also buy a mill cnced out but Y do people put them on there self?
    And im not no were nere spending 500$ i havent even spent 50$ lol
    If you know what your looking for the motors arent but 40$ new.
    I think more or less this whole forum is bout making something out of nothing . Im not one of those people that buy a new expensive toy . Ill drop 5000$ into this toy be for I buy it premade.

Quote Originally Posted by Arich0908 View Post
    Im not here to start an argument but most of you are wrong .
    They operate at from 0-90
    read
    Skip to page 14
    http://www.kbelectronics.com/manuals...smt_manual.pdf
    Tell ya what... You go buy one, and hook it up, and *after* you get it working as you want, THEN you can tell us we're all wrong. I won't be holding my breath....

Regards,
    Ray L.

I dont even know what to say to that but laugh well ok.

Page 1 of 2 12