587,702 active members*
3,325 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hardinge Lathes > Whats better a Microkinetics CNC 1340 or retro fit the hardinge DV59 for Cannons

Hybrid View

the microkinetics lathes are stepper drive. also the spindle speeds are set with the gear box.

Image's of the encoder MIcroKinetics 1340 Lathe

Hi Thanks for the info.
    I had meant to get back to Larken earlier but I had been busy trying to get the lathe working & set up but it’s really useless.
    I had tried their threading wizard in the Turn master Pro Program But in the demo version your unable to use it. I had acquired about the spindle being control in the program and what I was lead it was but it’s not like it shows in Turn Master program I had understood that the spindle speed wasn’t unless you purchases the VFD for $1400. I could always install a solenoid actuator and have it pluged into the back of the control box so when the M03 command is entered it will activate the hand switch and turn it off also when you do the tool change. And the same with the reverse if I ever needed it with the coolant outlet but that’s it there are only 2 plug on mine but it shows four on the current models of the 400 driverack. As far as the encoder I don’t know how many lines it has 4 wires indx & channel A on the controller. And that is useless because it doesn’t work. I had called them Tech Support and had entered the M25 #THREADINGSUB as he said and still the program stops waiting for the encoder and times out below is the g-code that their Wizard generates for a 3/8 24 thread That’s without the G25 #THREADSUB Command he told me to enter. However he said for a fee I could send the encoder & Controller back to get it fixed. But if I had paid for the transfer of the warranty of $1,300 which is 10% of the original purchases price 2 and a half years ago I’m sure I could get it fixed but I already have close to 7k into this So my only option is to spend more money on a new controller for the steppers and get rid of their control box and use Mach 3 I guess
    After going on 2+ weeks I had been able to get 1 of their cnc programs to work after the x axis polarity problem was resolved But I have been unable to import any of the DXF files from my cad program into their Turn Master software thru the import tool.
    I had done research on the company and all the reviews here were good exepct for some of the x axis operating faulty and the loose bolt problems which were clearly the case on this lathe close to all of them on the slide were loose along with wires on the federate override dial.
    I had thought that since the machine was only a few years old and was barely used it would at least perform a little. I would have been better off retrofitting the Hardinge lathe This is all so discouraging. If any of you have a Basic g code program for threading on this machine please post it and I’ll try it
    M25 #THREADINGSUB
    #THREADINGSUB
    G91 /Use Relative Offsets

/ External 24.0038 TPI Threading Command
    G33 X-0.0248 Z2 I0.003 K0.04166

M17 /Return

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02452.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	100064

Name:	DSC02450.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	100065

Name:	DSC02467.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	100066

Name:	DSC02468.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	100067
    Quote Originally Posted by Runner4404spd View Post
    the microkinetics lathes are stepper drive. also the spindle speeds are set with the gear box.

I have a 1236 lathe and I feel your pain. Did you ever get it up and running? It took me about 8 monthe to finally work out the major problems and I have been using it without to many problems lately. If I can help you I would be glad to go through the steps I have taken.

Do you still have the Hardinge?

If so, you can make a dandy CNC by copying what Accuslide used to make. Essentially, it is a 2 axis gang tooling set up that clamps to the v-ways. There's a little bit of data about it on my web site:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCLatheCNCGangSlide.html

They're very slick, and I know several shops still running them that swear by them. You may be able to get one used on eBay.

Failing that, they sure don't look that hard to build.

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html