587,481 active members*
3,017 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V23 - Cant figure out how to machine a ball

V23 - Cant figure out how to machine a ball

I cant figure out how to machine a solid ball. When starting with a solid square or any other shape, i can extract the edges. Then use the extracted edge lines to create a contour for machining. But when starting with a solid ball it obviously has no edges to extract, thus there are no lines to SELECT for machining. Im sure there is a simple solution but so far my feeble mind is stumped. Someone please explain to me what i am not getting?

After running V21, V23 is a major step up for BobCad IMO.

I think for a curved surface you want to select a 3d toolpath. They select surface geometry for their operation. Try a slice radial or spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    . Try a slice radial or spiral.
    I think equidistant would probably give a smoother and more consistent finish , thats if i can assume its being milled
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    I think equidistant would probably give a smoother and more consistent finish , thats if i can assume its being milled
    I agree with Dert. If you have the pro version and this toolpath, it is the best finish producer!

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    I think for a curved surface you want to select a 3d toolpath. They select surface geometry for their operation. Try a slice radial or spiral.
    I cant figure out how to select a 3d toolpath. Only way i know so far is to extract edges from a solid model or draw lines and arcs, then make the lines a contour so it can be selected for machining geometry. Theres something basic that i am just not getting i think.

I am trying to boolean a solid ball and a cube together to leave a bowl shape for milling. But i just cant get the 3d radius into anything that can be selected for geometry.

I think the step you are missing is the toolpath type you are adding to the CAM Tree.

Do this with your sphere shape:
    Right click on Milling Stock and move the cursor over the Mill 3 Axis option in the menu.
    Then click on Slice Planar. That should add a new item to the CAM Tree.
    Now, expand the Slice Planar so that you can see the Geometry option.
    Right click on Geometry and choose Re-select.
    Drag a box around your part.
    Press the Spacebar to say OK or right click and choose the OK option from the menu.
    Then right click on the Slice Planar option and choose Compute Toolpath.

This should give you a 3D toolpath or warn you about th elocation of your part. Lines and arcs are used only in the 2D operations. 3D operations will use Surface and Solid geometry.

Regards

I didnt realize that you dont have to select "STOCK GEOMETRY" or a "BOUNDARY" to generate tool paths and post code. Tried it and it works great. That opens up a new world to explore for me.

Thanks for the help. I knew it was something simple but i spent hours digging through the help file and couldnt find anything specific.