587,624 active members*
3,157 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Koal Industries & Plasma Quench

My 15 gallon drum of PQ is getting low.

I had heard that Koal had sold out to ITW group...this huge holding company owns Miller Electric, Paslode and many others companies related to the construction trades.

I tried all numbers on KOAL's web site and all were dead.

Looking at ITW's main page and searching "KOAL" is a dead-end too.

I was sadly surprised to read all the bad stuff on this forum....

When I bought from this company, 7+ years ago, the gentleman sent my 15 gallon drum to my dock w/o any credit check or card, etc.!!!! He said I'll invoice you once the drum is delivered.

I am guessing ITW made him an offer he couldn't refuse. Hopefully he's enjoying the sun & beach!

Looks like the home made version is taking care of everyones tank issues anyhow!

Best,

Tom

Tom I would not buy from them again if they were the last and only way in hell to get any sort of liquid to put in my water table. Don't get me wrong, they make a good product but I went through hell trying to get any from them. I finally found out the name of one of the corporate officers and contacted him. I did get product after contacting him personally but even then they made no effort to correct their problems. I am the sort that once someone get me po-ed enough I refuse to deal with them anymore and they qualified! I did not get enough Plasma Quench to properly fill my table so I went with the homemade recipe in one of the threads on this site. It was MUCH, MUCH less expensive and works just as well. I highly reccomend making your own Tom. I will cut and past in the home made recipe in here and just wish I remembered who to credit for it.

PLASMA QUENCH RECIPE

Here's the recipe for home-made PlasmaQuench
    1/4 pound of sodium nitrite powder ($15/pound)
    1 teaspoon of Physan 20 ($8/8oz bottle)
    1 oz Ultramarine blue food-grade dye ($5/oz.)
    Mix well, treats 75 gallons of water.

I am doing the home brewed water table juice per the recipe below. I have purchased the Nitrite and Physan 20 on flea bay but I can't find any info on the food dye.

Who knows where to get it?

Does it have to be blue and food grade? Does anyone know.....

Blue makes sense, but if you can't find it?

WSS

I would prefer green, I know someone here used it.

Here ya go - green - or they have just about any other color you might want to. http://www.escofoods.com/greencolor.html

Sodium nitrite turns into a carcinogen when its heated to the 520 degrees fahrenheit. Plasma temps can reach as high as 30,000 degrees fahrenheit. Sodium sodium nitrite decomposes into and turns into nitrosamines IIRC. We use nothing but water in our tables. We dont have a chemist on staff but just a few bits of chemistry knowledge leads us far from Sodium nitrite as a plasma quench additive. Even if its less than 1% it may pose a health risk.
    Now featuring Plasmaland online

Health Risk.... Is it worth it..??

BTA plasma,

Thanks for bringing up that point, I have been researching all types of anti-corrosion additives in the metal working field for several weeks. The reason I have been researching is to find the perfect chemical to add to my water tank.?? And what I came to find out that not one of them is safe when working under the plasma conditions or its environment. The reason its not safe is the gases or mist that evaporate off the table( little more advanced than what I just described) and into your beautiful lungs while cutting. Here is an article that I copied a small section of, I will give you the link if you would like to read further on...

Some corrosion inhibitors are hexamine, phenylenediamine, dimethylethanolamine, sodium nitrite, cinnamaldehyde, condensation products of aldehydes and amines (imines), chromates, nitrites, phosphates, hydrazine, ascorbic acid, and others. The suitability of any given chemical for a task in hand depends on many factors, from the material of the system they have to act in, to the nature of the substances they are added into and their operating temperature.

An example of an anodic inhibitor is chromate which forms a passivation layer on aluminum and steel surfaces which prevents the oxidation of the metal. Unfortunately, chromate is carcinogenic in humans; the toxicity of chromates was featured in the film Erin Brockovich. Like hydrazine, the use of chromate to protect metal surfaces has been limited; for instance it is banned from some products.

Nitrite is another anodic inhibitor. If anodic inhibitors are used at too low concentration, they can actually aggravate pitting corrosion, as they form a nonuniform layer with local anodes.

An other anodic inhibitor is pertechnetate. Unfortunately it is has a much higher radioactivity than uranium and may be used only in very safe areas like reactors.

Well, I am still searching for a so called safe plasma quench.. I found a new company that I am going to talk to this week about what chemicals they added to it.. www.chemicalmethods.com chemical methods inc. makes a watertable corrosion chemical produced for plasma tables (thats us).

The link for further reading to that article above...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrosion_inhibitor

Kinetic use GreenCut in there plasma machines

http://www.greencut.com/
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by BTA PLASMA View Post
    Sodium nitrite turns into a carcinogen when its heated to the 520 degrees fahrenheit. Plasma temps can reach as high as 30,000 degrees fahrenheit. Sodium sodium nitrite decomposes into and turns into nitrosamines IIRC. We use nothing but water in our tables. We dont have a chemist on staff but just a few bits of chemistry knowledge leads us far from Sodium nitrite as a plasma quench additive. Even if its less than 1% it may pose a health risk.
    This is very interesting, I have not had time to research this but does it remain a carcinogen after it reaches 520 or does it revert back when it cools? Has anyone mentioned if it has a higher temp were it ceases to be a carcinogen?

WSS

That is why I recomend the use of water in a plasma cutting table......if someone else is interested in recommending particular chemicals.....I would suggest leaving those recommendations to experts in that field! Some chemicals can change state as well in the presence of ultraviolet light....which is produced from the plasma arc. Just be carefule when adding things to water!

Jim Colt

I thought I read somewhere that PlasmaQuench contained Sodium Nitrite.

Quote Originally Posted by plain ol Bill View Post
    Here ya go - green - or they have just about any other color you might want to. http://www.escofoods.com/greencolor.html
    Thanks.

Green dye in "sharpenfabs" water table

mactec54 Kinetic use GreenCut in there plasma machines

http://www.greencut.com/
    Thanks mactec54 for the heads up, I have been looking for a safe product like this and finally found it. I purchased a 5 gallon pale of the greencut and been cutting with it for about 5 days now and works great. The only problem was it is not cheap, for 5 gallons of greencut which treats 100 gallon of water $310.00 ooouuchh.. But its a price im willing to pay for to keep the nasty chemicals out of the air...

Hi Dustin407
    Yes the price is up there, but if you take the shipping & the cost to import off ($108) then the 20L pail, it is quite inexpensive.for what you are getting, We are working on the shipping/import duty, thats what puts the cost up.
    Mactec54

I use water in my table and it has been fine. I have a good amount of green nastyness growing, looks like some sort of algae. i have no problem buying some sort of plasma additive however i am worried about disposal. i have a 250 gallon water tray and i would like to just dump the water in the back yard, however if i add some sort of mixture of chemicals to the water how do i dispose of it?

Scott

Darkhorse,

That PlasmaQuench you can just dump in your back yard. It's the same stuff they use to dye the Chicago River green during St. Patrick's Day. Hell, you could drink it if you wanted...but it tastes awful.

jgramlich

Were can you get the PlasmaQuench, there business seem to be closed, do you have a new contact number
    Mactec54

I think we got ours here, but I'll doublecheck:

http://www.koalindustries.com/

Hi jgramlich

They don't appear to be in business any more, I would like to find them, they have even gone from there address they were at.
    Mactec54

Page 1 of 2 12