587,223 active members*
3,089 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport Boss 9 Low Hours No controller

Hurraaa
    :wee::wee:
    At work we are finally moving the machine to our shop. As title says low hours no controller. This is what I want to do with it, but I have to have a plan before I go to higher authorities (boss).
    1) Pc Controlled, I would like to try EMC looks like fun. Or up for suggestions

2) Servo drivers with Feedback, this is where I need alot of help.

3) Need to teach it as a class to Industrial Maintenance, Machinist, and robotics students.
    Finished product is a running, in house repairable machine.

I need as much advice as I can get.
    Thanks

I'm doing the same thing only I am using a Boss5. Converting over to brush-less (analog control not PWM - you will need to decide which way to go) servos controlled with EMC. I will be using Pico-systems P port board set to run the whole thing. Take a look a pico-systems.com Jon (the owner) has been very helpful answering all of my dumb questions quickly and thoroughly.

Boss 9 conversion

Hello there alot depends on your budget, if it is allowable consider an AJAX CNC conversion, as all the set up tuning is done for you it is conversational programming easy for training, and lastly you can be up and running very quickly. If you want it quicker then go the Centriod all in a box system ready to mount. My Ajax system works very well after 5 years with no problems and if the base machine is good it will make a cracking accurate machine. Cheers Colin.

Lightbulb

I have been thinking about looking into centroid controller. We have two machines with their controller on them. It's a nice controller, but something else would give the students more training. A centroid would be more of a industrail grade controller then something we put together. See my dilema?

Question

electromech31,

Where in Wisconsin are you located?

If you are not to far, I may be able to help you.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Go with EMC if you want to really train people. The support is really very good.
    Steve

Here is how I did mine.

If you want something that is more industrial than the standard P-Port conversion take a look at mine.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78707

It still uses Mach3, but allows for analog input servos and expanded I/O from the start.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.