587,246 active members*
2,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123
    Back with the Shopvac Cyclone Review.

All I can say is WOW!! I have a few shopvacs and I always hate beating the filters against the was to clean them out. It took me 3 hours to assemble with a moving system. I dumped all the contents of the shopvac onto the garage floor. It consisted of MDF dust, Drywall dust, Lots of dog hair, all the dog hair that was around the filters at the time, drebils from the shop, leaves that made it into the garage basically everything that you would imagine on a dirty shop floor. So I started to vacuum it up with the new cyclone attached. It was fun to watch everything go around in a circle but I did notice that some of the stuff hanged towards the to of the cyclone so I started to think I wasted my money on it. I opened up the shopvac and to my suprise there was nothing in the vacuum. Opened up the 5 gallon pal and everything even the dog hair was there. If you are just going to use a shopvac as a dust collector I highly recommend buying the system! You will save all kinds of money in filters.

I also cleaned 3 other filters that I had to a almost new state with no damage and no clogged filter on the vacuum. I love this thing. Get it while there is still free shipping!

Quote Originally Posted by Regnar View Post

All I can say is WOW!! I have a few shopvacs and I always hate beating the filters against the was to clean them out. It took me 3 hours to assemble with a moving system. I dumped all the contents of the shopvac onto the garage floor. It consisted of MDF dust, Drywall dust, Lots of dog hair, all the dog hair that was around the filters at the time, drebils from the shop, leaves that made it into the garage basically everything that you would imagine on a dirty shop floor. So I started to vacuum it up with the new cyclone attached. It was fun to watch everything go around in a circle but I did notice that some of the stuff hanged towards the to of the cyclone so I started to think I wasted my money on it. I opened up the shopvac and to my suprise there was nothing in the vacuum. Opened up the 5 gallon pal and everything even the dog hair was there. If you are just going to use a shopvac as a dust collector I highly recommend buying the system! You will save all kinds of money in filters.

I also cleaned 3 other filters that I had to a almost new state with no damage and no clogged filter on the vacuum. I love this thing. Get it while there is still free shipping!
    Ordered!!!

thanks for the review. How about some pictures of your setup?

I did email them asking if it's suitable for metal chips as well as liquid coolant - Never got a reply back from them though. Does anybody on here know if it's suitable for this ? (The plastic version or the steel version.)

Quote Originally Posted by Regnar View Post

Good to hear! Definitely an option!! Just out of curiosity, have you tried comparing this to the "home-brew rough-neck trash can pseudo-cyclone"? I don't have a link right now, but I've read good things about it here. Might be a cheaper option (although $60 is prety darn good!).

Now with Video. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjxHiGXaTbo"]YouTube - ShopVac Cyclone[/ame]

I remember someone here doing the trash can lid dust seperator and although it worked for bigger stuff I believe he said it passed all the fine dust through. Dont quote me but I do remember it was here. I want to say it was Joecnc2006, but I cannot remember now.

WOW! Seeing really is believing. I'll be ordering that. Thanks for the input -

Just Ordered my Dust Deputy

You should get a commission on the sales!

Here is my dust hood... just clamps to the router.

Works great when my vac filter isn't clogged, looking forward to trying out the dust deputy!

This is my vacuum 5HP, compact... only trade off is not a lot of space for dust. Seems like the perfect pairing with the Dust Deputy. $100 at Home Depot.

www.grunblau.com

Just thought I would share this photo, this can be bought at Home Depote and probably modified or duplicted to suite your needs,cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dust buddy.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Grunblau View Post
    Works great when my vac filter isn't clogged, looking forward to trying out the dust deputy!
    Dust Deputy is AWESOME! After all of my milling over a couple weeks, I just emptied the bucket that was filled solid to about 1 inch below the top. There was a couple pieces of tape etc in the vacuum body but no clogged filter. I used to have the feed hold after about an hour or so of cutting to unclog the filter.

The only thing I have to complain about is the vacuum tends to collapse the bucket. Easily solved with a ring on the inside of the bucket.

Best thing I have bought for the CNC!

Glad it worked as good for you as it does for me. I was in the Woodcraft Store the other day and seen that they made a heavy duty steal version. I am thinking about buying one and mounting it to the wall with a dedicated vacuum.

I have 2 Rigid shop vac's that I plan to get dust deputies for. But I also just purchased a 2hp Grizzly Cyclone dust collection system. It should do nicely for all my dust collection needs in my little 1 car garage.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0440

I got one that was ~3 months old for 600 bucks. Unfortunately I have to drive 2 hours to go pick it up.

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but my dust collector system is made in china and sold by harbor freight. You can catch it on sale for $179 and includes everything but the hoses for a 4" cyclonic bag type 2 hp system. Works great and didn't break the bank.
    Happy dust making!
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by Hdale85 View Post
    I have 2 Rigid shop vac's that I plan to get dust deputies for. But I also just purchased a 2hp Grizzly Cyclone dust collection system. It should do nicely for all my dust collection needs in my little 1 car garage.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0440

I got one that was ~3 months old for 600 bucks. Unfortunately I have to drive 2 hours to go pick it up.
    I am curious to see how the grizzly works. The filter bag area seems to be about 1/2 the size that it should be which suggests to me that it's number are for when it's seasoned. Do you have a Dylos that you can use to measure particle count?

Regards,

Nate
    www.finelineautomation.com

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    I don't know if it has been mentioned, but my dust collector system is made in china and sold by harbor freight. You can catch it on sale for $179 and includes everything but the hoses for a 4" cyclonic bag type 2 hp system. Works great and didn't break the bank.
    Happy dust making!
    Bill
    Bill, in the Oct and Nov issues of Wood magazine, there's a coupon for the 2HP harbor Freight dust collector for $139. The regular price is $249. The Nov coupon is good until Feb 2010. I'm going to get one in a month or so. If you can't find the magazine, you can order a back issue for $11 delivered, and still save $99. That's what I did.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97869
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I don't have anything to measure the particles no but I also don't plan on using it in the current form. I'm building a small room behind my shop to house my air compressor and dust collector. The dust collector is going to vent out to the back through the wall and dump the big stuff in a large trash can. I'm installing a pipe system for the compressor and dust collection.

Wonder if anyone has tried one of these cyclone dust collectors? Looks to be nicely made. Wonder if the larger size has would make work better or worst than others? I like that it has a larger output that could be attached to a 4" hose shop dust collector.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Here is another one that is really simple and cheap. It also seems to work great. I am going to make one of these and give it a try. Check out the forum this guy has. Lots of people seem to like this one.

Bret

http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

I build one about a week ago , and I'm very pleased so far. It is hook up to Rigid 14Gal vac.
    Forget about global warming...Visualize using your turn signal!

Quote Originally Posted by Grunblau View Post
    You should get a commission on the sales!

Here is my dust hood... just clamps to the router.

This is my vacuum 5HP, compact... only trade off is not a lot of space for dust. Seems like the perfect pairing with the Dust Deputy. $100 at Home Depot.

www.grunblau.com
    what type of brush is that on your dust hood. Im in the process of designing a dust hood myself, but cant find a lot of info.Yours looks like it might work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhack View Post
    what type of brush is that on your dust hood. Im in the process of designing a dust hood myself, but cant find a lot of info.Yours looks like it might work for me.
    I ended up buying three brush attachments and disassembling them in order to have enough for my hood. I wish that I would have known about the website below. It appears as tho they have just the brush strips available. I have not purchased from them but I might in the future...

http://www.brush.com/strip-brushes-c-8.html

Page 2 of 3 123