587,729 active members*
3,303 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Cheap 1500W Chinese spindle, experiences?
Page 24 of 68 14222324252634
    Are you sure it's not just a rebranded copy of the HY VFDs ?

The setup I was told to use or my HY VFD is: (In this order, as the first is reset.)
    PD013 = 8 (Reset)
    PD005 = 400 (Max. Operating Frequency)
    PD004 = 400 (Base Frequency)
    PD003 = 400 (Main Frequency)

If it's air-cooled, don't run it below 100Hz.

The model # is YP-C2D-2G, i am using it with a water cooled spindle.
    The settings on my basic instructions i got.

P0005 = 6.5 (The rated currency)
    P0004 = 220 (The rated Voltage)
    P0003 = 400 (The Max Frequency)

In that case you should contact the seller and ask for a proper manual for that model, I couldn't find even a mention of that model number on the internet.

I did contact him, he sent a manual for a differant model.
    just powwered it up to try and get it working and now on power up it stops and shows dl?

Dan

I'm guessing it would be quicker to get in touch with him again than to try and guess the settings and errors. It would also remove any chance of causing damage.

I can't imagine what DL could stand for. Good luck with it.

Is this vfd u have ?

No, not the same. i attached pic.

I was going to do a reset, but the instructions that were sent to me are wrong.
    Set P0000 to 65535, that is too many numbers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vfd 007.jpg  

Hi chpdan

I have one of the same VFD's as you, the information you have to reset the factory presets is correct, I have carried out the procedure twice now. You have to use the arrow key << to move the cursor across the digits then use the up and down arrow to select the correct number once you have 65535 on the screen press enter the display will blink when it stops blinking, down the power for 10 or so seconds when you power back up it should have reset the VFD.

Wire Size

Hey Guys,

What type/size cable are you using from the VFD to the Spindle? I'm thinking 10AWG/4 conductor.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MRM RCModels View Post
    Hey Guys,

What type/size cable are you using from the VFD to the Spindle? I'm thinking 10AWG/4 conductor.

Thanks
    That is way overkill. I doubt that 10AWG would even come close to fitting in the connector. You are only carrying about 8 amps so 16AWG or even 18AWG would be suitable.

bob

Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician

The Hitachi manual recommended 10AWG wire for the 2.2Kw VFD, but that seems like serious overkill and unnecessary for my spindle rated at 7.5A. (see Disclaimer) I'd like to know the reasoning behind such heavy gauge wire for short distances and moderate current.

Anyway, I used 16AWG/4C, which seems pretty typical for these installations. I used a wire specifically designed for spindles, with double shielding. Some are using heavy duty speaker wire (shielded) with good results. These units can be electrically noisy, so the shielding is very important.

http://www.sabcable.com/new_data/VFDLeanTR.pdf

Steve

Steve,
    Thanks for the link - where did you buy this cable? It looks like nice stuff.

I remember that it took a bit of effort to locate. I don't have the info handy, but I'll try and locate the invoice when I get home. It could be ordered in fairly short lengths, but ran about $2.50/foot. Definitely nice cable, designed for spindles.

Steve

I'd like to share some experiences with shielding and electromagnetic noise.

I have the 1.5KW spindle, the 1.5KW HY VFD, 3x steppers and 3x el-cheapo chopper-based stepper drivers. I'm also using a wireless 360 controller for jogging.

First of all, it is highly recommended to use shielded cables.

However, none of my test wiring is shielded. I have 2 meters of individual cable going to the steppers in a heap. These run right over the unshielded step / direction cables. In addition to this, I have some 4 core unshielded round flex like that which you'd see on a kettle or other electrical appliance. The stepper drivers are sitting on a piece of card board without any case. My 360 controller is used over a little distance next to the pile of cables. I also have no additional filters on the VFD. I should add that the computer it's running off is not in a case and I have another next to it which was also running fine at the time.

I recently did a test and found that with the spindle running, I could jog the machine about and make some cuts without any problems at all.

While shielding is important, you must also make sure the cable is flexible enough to cope with the constant movement of the machine. In my opinion, the flexibility is more important than the shielding. What I mean by this is by all means get shielded cable, but make sure the cable is also able to cope with the flexing.

Also don't forget to ground the spindle.

Hi yngndrw

Hope I do not live near you as I see you are UK registered!

The VFD electronics can cause a lot of interference to television or radio reception. The use of special emc filters on the mains supply fitted inside the VFD or adjacent is a requirement in the EU. This is why the manufacturers specify different models for the EU including the UK. They also specify short wires between the motor and the VFD as well as screening of those wires. (Please also note that the motion electrics are also a source of interference and these should be adequately screened to comply with the EU EMC regulations. )

The EMC regulations may be more relaxed outside the EU but in the UK as elswhere in the EU they are mandated. The requirement is not to cause problems to radio and TV - testing that you can use the machine with unscreened wires might interest non EU users. You might be saving yourself a lot of bother if you listen to the radio while you build your machine to see what levels of radio crud you are making. The authorities operate on the principle that it is the polluter who pays.

Hope this helps avoid the knock on the door from the authorities who can insist on full compliance!

Kind regards

Pat

Just bought a 2.2KW spindle from Chai (linearmotionbearings2008). I did wuss out and buy a Hitachi VFD from a American dealer for $255 (HERE), but IMHO it was well worth it because the manual is in english and leaves nothing to the imagination.
    I have been using the same Hitachi VFD flawlessly for a month. Very nice unit and easy to setup. I am wondering if I would have been able to get away with the 2HP one rated and 8 amps which would save $50 as the "3HP" Chinese spindles seem to be actually 2 HP.

The setup I have is just for testing, although I am yet to see any issues with the TVs and other electronic equipment that I have near by. Having said that I've never had a radio on at the same time - I will try that when I get a chance as it seems an interesting test to do. I can also test what distance any effect has.

Fair point about the regulations and related laws. Having said that I doubt the spindles meet safety regulations, specifically regarding earthing.

Hi yngndrw

The problem is that the radio requires microvolts of signal where as the noise immunity of the computer electronics is better than 1 volt. i.e. the reception of a distant radio station is possibly a million times more sensitive and as the senior service this is the level that has to be protected.

Can I suggest that the VFD be mounted in the gantry. The weight is small compared with the total weight. There are flexible screened mains wire that uses steel screening. This wire is available from most good electrical contractor's suppliers for site use but how it would stand up to constant movement should be questionable. There is also metal conduit that is flexible and there is a grade that is designed for constant movement but I have lost the reference I had for this but if I find it I will post it.

Good luck - a bit of music while you work is a help!

Kind regards

Pat

Hi yngndrw

My memory is better than I thought. Here is the link to a possible source of supply for metal conduit intended for automation applications.

http://www.delikon.com/buswire.htm

Here is the link to the steel wire screened cable I have used for a gantry that was slow moving (radar aerial servo) it is cheap so would be worth testing if you can't mount the VFD adjacent to the spindle motor.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MF1dot5slash4.html

Good luck - regards

Pat

Good point regarding the voltage level of radio. I'm currently trying to get radio working on an iPod Touch but I'm not sure there's even an App for it !

Unfortunately my machine is way too small for mounting the VFD to the gantry. Having said that it is a nice idea for those with larger gantries, especially for those who are also mounting their water cooling to the gantry - Keeps everything out of the way.

Igus have a brand of cable called Chainflex which is designed for constant movement and there are shielded options, I have no idea how much this would cost though. I do actually have quite a bit of 4 core screened cable but the bend radius is a bit large for my machine and it's designed for fixed installations. I'll get in touch with Igus later down the line and see what the damage will be on their cable.

There's also CPC but they sell cable by the roll which isn't too convenient when you only want to use it for a spindle. If you find somewhere which sells flexible 4 core screened cable (Ideally with one of the cores outside of the screen for the ground.) who sell from an online store, ship the England, don't charge the earth and who sell be the metre, please let me know !

Edit: You added that reply while I was typing. Thanks for the links. It's a shame that they don't have any 1mm^2 cable from the SY Multi Flex cable range that you linked to. I'll have a look at the other cable that they have.

Edit2: Managed to find a radio on my phone, it uses earphones as an aerial so it was hard to get a good signal but I managed to. I then switched the spindle on (Unloaded) at 100Hz and 200Hz and even with the earphone cable running right next to the VFD to spindle cable I couldn't hear a difference. I didn't bother trying 400Hz as I don't want to make too much noise and the machine isn't held down so it vibrates against the table a bit.

The spindle cable I currently have is just under 2 meters of this stuff: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA1F4slash50.html

It should however be kept in mind that the spindle running with no load is drawing next to no current. With a higher load there may be significantly more interference.

Page 24 of 68 14222324252634