587,103 active members*
4,399 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport Head Questions

Hello all, first post. I am trying to educate myself on Bridgeport mills as I would like to get one some time in the not too distant future. I have a couple questions. From what I have read I want a J head model. Questions

1. I see two different speed indicators, one with an open round dial (older version I think) and one with a cover over the dial (newer version?). Is there any difference in the two other than the cover over the dial? Is the rest of the head all the same?

2. I see them with 1 through 2HP, some with pancake motors. Are all these interchangeable?

3. I want variable speed. It will be for home use and three phase isn't available to me. I suspect that when I find one it will be three phase so I will either have to have a converter or change the motor. Therefore would getting a non variable speed head and having to convert it to a VFD motor not be a deal breaker?

4. Which is the better way to go, VFD or converter? Price wise and quality wise.
    Any links to these with prices?

Thanks, I'm sure I will have more questions.

VFD every time it sure is the best way to go
    Mactec54

Bridgeport selection

Hello This is a similar answers to the previous question,
    1, The variable speed indicator is just a later version the workings of it and the parts are exactly the same.
    2, selection of belt change head compared to the variable speed head, the variable speed can get quite noisy and will need regular parts to keep it quite it is also inefficient for the power of the motor used.
    3, The belt change head ( pancake type motor) is more efficient quieter needs less maintaince and is easier to put a VFD onto to make variable speed with powered braking. It also can be upgraded now with the reasonably priced air motor power drawbar from ebay. this would also be cheaper than fitting a single phase motor in place of the three phase. All this assuming in the states that the motors are wired dual 380/240 volt.
    Best of luck with your selection this is just my opinion and I have had both types of head in the past. Cheers Colin