587,354 active members*
3,493 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

updating biesse to new program

I have stumbled upon a 1991 biesse 325 rover does anyone have any idea if I can get rid of parts of the old control tower and replace with laptop and updated more user friendly software? I only need to use 1 out of the 3 ---9 hp routers as I only want to use this machine for a sign maker any info would help I'm very new to this Like you could tell lol thanks Steve

The problem you will encounter is getting a new control to interface with the existing hardware. What may be a better alternative is searching on this site for retrofit packages that include axis motors and invertors. Then you will still have issues but you may be able to fabricate intermediate couplings and such to get things to work. You can fund this by parting out ( selling components on the machine for spare parts ), several parts on that machine are hard to find. You may get lucky and find an original owner of a similar model that needs a part!
    Kindest Regards,

Mark T.
    www.cnccustomservices.com

retrofitting

cost effective, or not. maybe
    I think if You could find yourself an electrical guru genius , and
    a whip A@@ machinist i think you'll be ok.

rather you than me!

have you noticed how many wires run from the controller to the sensors etc on a biesse machine? hundreds! and theyre all needed!.
    if its working, use it as it is is my advice.
    i purchased an old 321 r atc biesse, thinking yeah il update it.... no chance.

but. i fixed all the faults, worked out how it all was supposed to work, bought the tooling, wrote the postprocessors, made lots of things on it and then a week ago the manual i ordered finally turned up. lol
    great machines, especially if you like spending time fixing things!

Antes de algo, saludos a todos
    Compre una vieja Biesse 325.
    Existe hoy Manera de agilizar el programa de la maquina y donde lo puedo conseguir?

¿Que precio es lógico pagar en Argentina? Por una Biesse 325 M92. 7.5hp con 2ruter, dos boquillas doc perf. , Una en otra en X y Y, eje Y para Seccionador para xy, 4 boquillas de perforado vertical en Y y 4 mas en X, todo funciona.

Update

Yes it can be done and interface with existing hardware.

Takes a big learning curve. Every machine has so many things different about them its kind of ridiculous really. Ive been in the same boat then after doing my one. I got into doing about 4 other biesse's. The key is interfacing it. Biff the plc. biff the control cards in there now. Keep the servo motor drives encoders etc. You cant try and use some cheap board off ebay or similar. The paramaters are nowhere near as vast as you need.

Its not a simple upload or a small job. Most of the ones I've done now run in at about 13k NZD by the time its fitted. The biggest part is the manuals arent as correct as you would like. I've found alsorts of things in the past numbers that dont go where they are meant to. Different model control cards in manual and in machine. Even where and when machine is sold effects hardware thats in it.

It can be done and it is worth doing but. Dont take it on lightly.

That is the best advice i can give you

the only way i can see to do the biesse is with a galil/camsoft or galil /mach combination.
    i have all this set up on my bench. i reckon another year before i have it all good enough to go into my machine!
    so much code to rewrite. so many outputs to remap etc etc.
    cant wait for mach to implement rs232 so i can talk to the existing io cards rather than run another 100 wires! or install 4 rio plcs
    so much to learn, so much to pass on.

if you want to try this yourself I wouldnt suggest mach3 it will get to had to deal with 4 routers that run as will as the tool changer in these with offsets all dependent on what tools in and you have to remember that you also have to switch the banks when you change the tools. Lots of work goes into this.

Look into more complex control systems my ones based around a pick'n' place software line. As it had more options to use and it was "smarter" when it comes to setting up different tooling options etc.

Look carefully at the hardware you have also the input voltages of your servo drives etc as some are 10v and some are 20v based and some cards only use a 5v line.

Its not simple to do and wouldnt suggest it for a first time conversion. Would be easy if you only wanted to use one tool and thats it. But then whats the point of having a machine like this

my biesse only has one router, 1 saw, 20 drills.
    i already have the motor speeds sorted for the different inverter outputs required
    mach/ galil can handle this lot quite easily. all i/o routed via galil so only a quick sb or cb needed to switch on/off outputs etc.
    the tool change is simply a matter of copying and converting the biesse code from the fixed cycles on d drive of biesse to "mach language" and running as a macro. (the same as a fixed cycle in biesse)
    re voltage differences, these are handled by the optoisolation on the galil breakout board.
    the galil makes the machine really smoothe running with much cleaner s curve ramping than the original cni controller
    i was going to camsoft it but the cost and lots of bad press put me off that idea. but it did point me towards the galil as a fantastic motion controller.
    so much to learn, so much to pass on.