587,193 active members*
2,524 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Hobbycnc (Products) > 200oz motors vs. Table size?

Question 200oz motors vs. Table size?

Ive been lurking around here for a while absorbing all of this info. I think only about 1% has sunk in but Im getting there. :tired:

I am thinking about getting the HobbyCNC 200oz kit and I am curious as to how big of a table it will run?

What sort of table would you suggest? Moving table or moving bridge?

I was thinking about making the table of cutting board material (HDPE?) or wood. I have the ability to weld a light steel tube frame also.

I figure I have the old 1936 South Bend and make odd parts with it but would want something that may be able to cut plastic, carbon fiber, and soft aluminum.

Any help would be great.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeRich
    Ive been lurking around here for a while absorbing all of this info. I think only about 1% has sunk in but Im getting there. :tired:

I am thinking about getting the HobbyCNC 200oz kit and I am curious as to how big of a table it will run?

What sort of table would you suggest? Moving table or moving bridge?

I was thinking about making the table of cutting board material (HDPE?) or wood. I have the ability to weld a light steel tube frame also.

I figure I have the old 1936 South Bend and make odd parts with it but would want something that may be able to cut plastic, carbon fiber, and soft aluminum.

Any help would be great.

Rich
    Really hard to say with accuracy. 200's are great on a mini/mill. the 127's are great on a Sherline mill.

Dave Rigotti

I used 150 oz on my 2 ft X 6 ft router. I feel these were about the smallest that would drive the set up. Keep in mind that the type of screw ball or acme and bearings that you will be using. Also your srcew pitch or pully set up will control your force and speed. 200 oz motors should be able to drive most setups if gear properly.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

A 2 X 6 router? Thats great. I am only looking to get 3 x 4ft or so. Mostly for making carbon fiber parts and the occasional aluminum frame for my RC habits. I plan on using acme threaded rod and nuts. Anyone have a good inexpensive source for them?
    What pitch would you suggest? I can make my pulleys any size for the most part.
    Thanks for the help so far.

I too purchased the hobby cnc kit with the 200oz/in steppers, its a great kit and builds easy. I am hoping the motors will be able to drive my router which will have a travel of 24"x24" and 12" on the z. The machine will be made completly out of aluminum, 1" thick gantry sides and 8" of bearing span on the rails for the x and y. Using some of the formulas I've found her on the site the 200 oz/in motors shoud be sufficiently sized to drive this setup, so I dont think ur router should be a problem either. BTW, I am using 5/8 ball screws, with at 0.200 lead to get the max out of the motors.

Hi All. I also am building from the Hobby CNC kit. Great Kit , couldn't ask for better directions and layout. I am making a 4' 6" x 2' layout with 200 oz in motors and am glad to hear the general thought that they will work. Thanks Lew

I am using the hobby cnc driver as well and can say it offers great performace for the price. You will want to use as close to 40 volt supply that you can get so you get the most from the motors. Check Mcmaster Carr for the acme screws and nuts. I would recomend 5 tpi directly connected to the motor. If your table motion is smooth you should be able to cut at 100 imp or better.

Nice

I am planning on using bearings and either pipe, channel or solid rod for the travel surfaces. Im going to cast the supports for it out of aluminum. I figure the more metal on this thing the better. More weight = more accuracy right?

I will start on the table this weekend and start ordering parts. Im going to take a few pictures as I go along.

What about sourcing power supplies? Anyone have a top secret cheap place to get em? Ive found a few but they are over $100 at most places.

The screws are fairly cheap but they really get you on the nuts. Or is that, got you by them?

Thanks for all the info so far. I will keep you guys posted also.

Rich

Check ebay for the nuts thier was a guy making anti backless delrin nuts for acmr rod,
    He also posted them here as well . You can also get a supply or transformer from ebay.

Try www.mpja.com that's where I got mine.