587,515 active members*
2,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Exclamation Wiring in Powermax 600

Need someone to verify that what I'm going to do will work.

I'm getting ready to wire in my Hypertherm Powermax 600 to that table that I built last month. My plan is to run a floating torch head(no THC). I am going to splice into the trigger wires with an 18volt relay. That relay is controlled by an output on my Gecko 540. The driver is powered by MACH 3. I guess my question is. Is it that simple? Or have I missed something that could have very bad results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That should work. I think the wire colors are purple and orange for the switch out of the hand torch cable. Do you have a Z axis you can control (as an axis) or are you just going to lower the torch via an air cylinder or some other device? Make sure you use a drag tip on your torch. The cuts won't be real great and you will need to be careful not to cut things that leave voids close to other cuts. Make sure you clamp the thinner metal down or the drag tip will move it around. The upper slag may cause some added friction that will move the sheet around.

If you have control of the Z through the G-code then you can do some positioning that will help the process.

I am sure you are aware we make an advanced BOB with Digital THC that will plug into (front-end) the G540 and give you a genuine THC for not a lot of $$$$$. You can always add that later.

TOM Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com