587,228 active members*
4,895 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Will this Renishaw Probe Work?
Page 1 of 2 12

Will this Renishaw Probe Work?

Looking to see if this Renishaw Probing kit will work on my 2007 Haas tmp1,found a seller selling a complete kit as follows..

(one) Renishaw probe kit , MP7 , 70 degree , A-2033-0985 including probe head , s/n U43790 , (2001) , (2) OMM optical modules , A-2033-0576-11 , (2) Universal OM mounting bracket , (2) a-2075-0255-01 M12 interface assembley ( pcb cards) , (2) ruby touch probes , manuals , certificate

is this everything i need and can someone (me) with limited experience with this item install it successfully?

thank you
    2007 Haas TMP-1 Microscribe MX-5 Mastercam X4 Mill Level 3 Surfaces,Solids Seagate 2 tb hard drive AMD 64x2 8gig ram windows ultimate 7 64bit Geoforce 8800 GTX

Probe

Do you currently have the Macros Option installed on your machine?

I have a HAAS 2008 TM-1P with the Renishaw Wireless Probe and Wireless Tool Setter. At the time I purchased the machine the cost for that option was $4995.00. The price included Macros and Rotation and Scaling which are options. Those 2 options if purchased separately are between 3K and 4K. This made the actual price of the wireless probe and wireless tool setter around $1500.00 which is really GREAT bargain in my opinion. You can go to the HAAS website and check out the pricing on the options for a TM-1P to get an idea on the current pricing.

It was my understanding that you needed the Macros Option in order for the Renishaw probe to do it's thing. I could be wrong on this and maybe one of the experts here or your Haas Factory Outlet could provide some input. HAAS is offering discounts on new machines and may even offer some incentives on after the sale installed items like the probe and tool setter.

Just suggest you check on all the items you need to make it work, software and hardware prior to making a purchase decision on used equipment.

Hope this was on some help.

John

Call Kenny Houk of OSCNC www.oscnc.com

He is a probe guru and if any one can give you expert advise he can!

thank you.

i will look into it.
    2007 Haas TMP-1 Microscribe MX-5 Mastercam X4 Mill Level 3 Surfaces,Solids Seagate 2 tb hard drive AMD 64x2 8gig ram windows ultimate 7 64bit Geoforce 8800 GTX

John,i dont recall having scaling and rotation,i do have spindle orientation and ips which the ips and visual quick code i never used much.

on the website it states so macros cr scaling to be included in the price of the probe kit,and i didnt notice the option to purchase macros seperately.

I'm going to say that you either need to have the software already in your version of IPS (and shows those tabs) or that you'll need Macros to make it work. The pricing is under Control Options:

Coordinate Rotation and Scaling COORD $1,195.00
    User-Definable Macros. MACRO $2,295.00

As was already mentioned, you could do it yourself, but after buying those two options to make it work, would it be worth it?

FWIW: I saw the price on that kit. Between that and other costs of setting it up, I wouldn't do it.
    Greg

thank you for your reply,yes i would have to agree it seems easier to let the dealer install complete system,

i contacted the hfo today and requested a quote.

im hoping this will resolve some inaccuracys i have been having using a co axial indicator to setup part origins.

thank you

Here are a couple of videos you might want to look at

Hi Timmy,

Here are a couple of links to videos that you might enjoy.

John

Probe Bore

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xZ3QTHaink"]YouTube - Renishaw Wireless Probe - Probe internal bore[/ame]

Probe Vise Corner

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSosg29ecw4"]YouTube - Renishaw Wireless Probe (Vise Corner)[/ame]

Wireless Tool Setter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARY8J5nAMYw"]YouTube - Renishaw Wireless Tool Setter[/ame]

Thank you john i seen the videos when you first posted them and they gave me a good refresher on how the probe works.

i have 1 question,i currently use my software to comp the cutter and i touch off each tool on the workpiece for each new program. this has several drawbacks one is the constant adjusting of negative xy values to get the tolerance correct in pockets.

if the toolsetter sets the diameter and tool length,i think i would need to set the software to comp at the control.

also how do you go about setting the z on the part you are cutting?

thank you
    tim

Probing

Hi Timmy,

I am a newbie into the CNC machine world, so others may be able to better advise you.

I would think each CAD/CAM package could treat the comps differently. I use ONECNC and have a HAAS TM-1P. I select the type of finishing I want i.e. comp in ONECNC and I use the Wear Column in the Tool Register on the HAAS to input the desired compensation.

Setting the Z axis with the Renishaw probe is easy. Just jog the probe to within .4 of the surface and select the correct template. Then run the program and it will probe the Z surface and record the Z surface reading in the HAAS control for the offset you have selected i.e. G54.

I have also attached a copy of some instructions that I typed up to help me remember how the probing cycles work.

Hope this was of some help.

John
    Attached Files Attached Files

thank you John,i assume that you enter a value in the world coordinate box which shows the difference between the part z0 and the toolsetter z0.

sounds a lot easier to touch off one tool and register offset for the entire umbrella,then touching them all off on every job.

i also want to start using more than one vise on the table im sure this goes hand in hand

tim

vises

Hi Timmy,

During the setup process your probe gets touched off on the tool setter. You will also need a ring gauge, dowel pin. accurate dial indicator and possibly a few other tools I forgot to mention. My local HAAS Technician did the installation.

I have 3 Kurt 688 vises on my 2008 TM-1P. As I don't have a 4th Axis I chose to mount the Renishaw Wireless tool setter on the right side of the table to keep it out the way of the coolant coming from the PCOOL nozzle.

One other note that you probably already know. The hex shafts that stick out the front of the Kurt 688 vises will hit the door if they are not cut off. I had to cut about .750 off the hex that is used for the vise handles.

I also modified three .750 box end wrenches that I use for tightening the vises. I utilize "O" Rings to hold them in position. I straightened the wrenches so that they hang vertically and don't interfere with machining operations. A good friend of mine gave me this idea and has worked great for me.

John

that was the first thing i learned when i mounted the d688 kurt vise,was the hex needed to be shortened,otherwise that vise is perfect for the table.

i was just quoted $6300 for the probe package and installation.

may need to save a few more pennies before going this route

funny thing i i keep hearing and seeing about the discounts haas has been doing the last several months and the last 2 rfq i have asked for were retail plus.

maybe on the next wave of cash that comes in

Quote Originally Posted by timmydabull View Post
    i was just quoted $6300 for the probe package and installation.

may need to save a few more pennies before going this route

funny thing i i keep hearing and seeing about the discounts haas has been doing the last several months and the last 2 rfq i have asked for were retail plus.

maybe on the next wave of cash that comes in

I would ask them to throw in the install for free. It only takes a few hours.

On mine it took 5 trips because they never gave the tech all of the info on how to install a MARPOSS probe.

Tim

yes i think that would be the admiral thing to do,i dont think 400 per hour is too much when your machine is crashed and cant make parts and your at the mercy of the service tech, however it is hard to swallow when you can live without it.

i will see what transpires,i only owe $13000 on my machine and i would rather have it paid off by winter,although it is hard to pass up on a deal if i should happen to get one.

Man, that just should not take that long to install; I'd bet under an hour if you're actually getting the kit from Haas. Are they charging you for an IPS upgrade or do you get the VQC version of the templates? If it's a full software reload, that might make some sense, but VQC templates can be loaded right off of a thumbdrive. The hardware is plug-in.

I think you'll have to drill two holes to locate the transmitter/receiver in the back of the cabinet. The presetter and probe are wireless. The interface box goes in the control cabinet and basically gets velcro'd in place wherever convenient. That has a power brick and one harness to the skip terminals on the I/O board: done.
    Greg

when i bought the machine i tallied up $45k so i purchased a few options rigid tapping,visual quick code and rigid tapping as well as upgraded coolant pump,and large screen with usb

i havent used the vqc to any degree so i cant say what is or isnt there,i will say after having the machine almost 2 years last month i found out rigid tapping was never enabled from the factory(they did enable it quickly)

cant blame them for trying to make money and cant blame me for trying to save as much as i can.

i guess we are at a stalemate,i read a post on the renishaw thread where a gentleman said he paid $4k for complete setup,might have been a marposs dont know for sure.

anyways i would love to have a probe maybe they will reconsider in a couple years lol

Double check with them and find out what the upgrade includes. It won't be the first time the customer knew more than the person on the phone. As good as my HFO is, I know who to talk to and who not to talk to over there.

As I alluded, there are two versions of the software: a later one that runs under the IPS screens and the older one that most of us have, that runs under VQC. The VQC is just a matter of loading the O09000 programs from a floppy disk or thumbdrive--literally a few minutes.

If they're willing to give you the VQC version and the codes to enable the other options (rotation & scaling, etc), I don't see anything stopping you from doing the installation yourself. In that scenario, I think they should give it to you for the catalog price (whatever the option costs on the website).

Of course, this assumes that they have a deal with Renishaw to be able to sell that package as an add-on, after the sale of the machine. There is the possibility that Renishaw sees this as competition and won't allow such sales.
    Greg

i will talk to them and see what they say,

thank you very much guys for the advice.

Page 1 of 2 12