587,829 active members*
2,707 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport R2E3- "error 2000"

Turned on machine today, and have "error 2000"

EAF board shows green led
    FMDC board has 7 leds on, # 1,2,3,4,5,6,8 (not 7)

Reading chart from Bridgeport (1936953), this says that "processor is running, drive enable can't be cleared"

Where do I go from this point?

Per chapter 7, troubleshooting, it says you have a internal communications error.
    LED lit on EAF means it passed its self test but is not communicating to the rest of the control.
    Correct on status of FMDC.
    At this point I would use the fist monitor to get inside the control for more data.
    I would also check both logic power supplies.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

error 2000

Just a side note,
    I had this error start popping up on one of my R2E3's when the batteries died. I would start there if the machine was running fine before and sat for a while.

Hope that helps,
    Cutmore

Checked batteries, both output 2.97 volts, so they are good . (they have been in the machine for 7 years and have tested OK each time I check.... I have a set of cr123 batteries that I soldered on leads to connect to the old leads , made up, but have not needed to install yet.

Checked voltages as per 7.2.2 and found no problems, tighten all screw connections and unpluged and pluged connectors on both boards, no success.

I now will look for a serial cable and connector for the "FIST" monitor and try it thru "Hyperterminal" on my old notebook. I'm interested as to what info this will show. I note the manual says that the board should be replaced if the two LEDS are not flashing, but I can not see why the board would be defective now and not a connection problem.

Look in the manual, there is a list of all the things you can do. It gives you a detailed history of what is going on and can give you a status of the boards.
    Very useful.
    The two end LED will blink at a dis-similar rate IF the FMDC boots and loads correctly.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Chapter 8 "Tests" gives directions for cable for fist

rs-232

K3-1 to pin 3 (9pin) or pin 2 (25 pin)
    k3-3 to pin 2 (9 pin) or pin 3 (25 pin)
    K3-2 to pin 5 (9 pin) or pin 7 (25 pin)

Is this correct??????? I get a little lost at the line "A reference level must be provided on pin 2 by connecting pin 3"

I did find that a molex plug used on a computer CD drive for power aligns up to amp plug.

With George's info, was able to see that LED # 7 is Off and all others ON. This shows that the "processor is running, drive enable can not be cleared"

Have tried the FIST connection, but was unable to communicate. I believe this is a cable connection problem as the two manuals that explain this procedure, give different pinouts for rs232 connection. I have ordered a RS422 card to connect onto K3 on the FMDC board , and will see if this gives more info.

I also found that a CR123 battery would fit in the original battery holder and only soldered short leads onto battery to connect to pigtails of old battery connection. It should be noted that the original battery has the look of a regular battery but " the button on the end of the battery is negative, not positive as expected."

Again any suggestions to repair are welcome. I will report progress.

John, I have to find my FMDC FIST cable. I made one 20 years ago (actually made the first one way back in 1984 or so to a TRS-80 Model 100) and "ring" it out for you. I will keep looking.

George

I believe the green LED on the EAF board should be blinking on and off, indicating it is communicating with the FMDC. If the LED is on, but not blinking, it means you have power to the EAF. but communications have halted. If I am wrong please post

Correct. Solid LED on EAF means board passed boot and self test but cannot communicate to bus.The problem, I believe is the FMDC. It seems that mother board is booted and passed self test and can communicate to the LCD that it cannot communicate to the system either.

George

Hi,
    According to the repair manual for this machine if the green light flashes or stays solid the EAF Board passes. Next is the LED Lights 1 and 2 on the FMDC board. these are the lights on the right when the board is in front of you (same side of all the plugs). If light 1 blinks and light 2 blinks slower then the FMDC Board Passes. If the lights are not on or come on solid then the FMDC board fails and need to be repaired or replaced.
    You can get the board repaired at Electric South find them at elsouth.com.
    I own two of these machines and am having one of my FMDC boards repaired now.