587,259 active members*
3,008 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

UK TM-1 3 phase

Hello,

HAve a TM-1 turning up from UK on Friday. I have just had 3 phase run as a 3 core cable plus seperate earth from the distibution board.

Looking at the tm-1 addendum it seems to show 3 live plus an earth.

Now I have a sinking feeling I needed to run a 4 core cable + seperate earth. Anyone run 3 phase to a tm-1? does it have to be wye ( 3 live + neutral +earth ) or (delta 3 live + earth).

In other words do i have to ask the electrician to rip out the 3 core + earth I have just got him to run?

i really hope not!

TIA.,

SImon

I don't think your machines are equipped any different over there, sooo...

No, you need three hot wires and a really big ground wire (3-wire Delta, not 4-wire Wye). They prefer that you have a large grounding rod right at the machine in addition to the ground back to the panel.

Most of the machine operates on DC anyway. The first thing that power does when it enters the cabinet is get rectified and stabilized in a large power supply inside the cabinet.
    Greg

It is three live and an earth as Greg confirms. If your earth is the same gauge as the supply you can omit the local earth rod; actually you need to check whether local earthing is allowed.

If the cable you ran as an earth which is lower gauge than the other three just run a single earth wire.

If you are doing your own connection remember to check the actual incoming voltage and adjust the taps at the bottom of the cabinet, and ignore the phasing light, it should have a little label telling you that.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

3 live and earth ok

Thankyou both for the replies.

Cable ran was 3 x 4mm2 cores and a seperate 6mm earth. 4mm rated at 25A per core. Cable run is 30ft long in free air. breakers at 20A per phase on distribution board.

From what I can tell. It looks like 3 live + good earth will be fine.

Many thanks.

Geoff,

Thankyou for the note about voltage and the xfromer taps. One more question should I connect up the power or will the Haas engineer do this if I present suitable cable. Or does it not really matter?

Best Regards,

Simon

You may find the Haas technician will not do the actual connection but will probably check and change the transformer taps if needed.

It depends on your electrical codes, I think most times the line connections have to be done by licensed electricians.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

TM-1 lives

TM-1 arrived and the three phase delta ( 3 live +seperate earth) is indeed fine for UK equipment.

Xformer taps set correctly. Mill powered up just fine.

Now scheduling commisioning visit.

Best,

Simon