587,180 active members*
5,054 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Hi from Montreal

Just to say hello to all members

I'm new to CNC and have lots to learn but I'm a fast learner LOL

I can manage nicely in woodwork, mechanical and electrical but electronics is a black hole for me. I'm gathering information now because eventually I would like to build a small CNC baby

Nicolas

I'm also in Montreal and looking to build in the next year or two (other priorities first).

I did a minor in school in electro-mechanics and have been watching cnczone.com for several years. The best (fastest and easiest) way to get into it would be a kit. I really like the joecnc kits. He sells both the kits or just the plans. His 2006 model is 'opensource' so you can get the plans for free and make it from MDF if you have the tools. I am partial to the 'hybrid' since I see it has potential in that it could be disassembled and stored (I fear a mdf structure wouldn't appreciate this much in the long run) and possibly be used as a plasma cutter table.

Check out his kits at http://joescnc.com/themachines.php and the necessary electronics at hobbycnc.com

Will you be building soon? We're going to remodel the kitchen somethime and I was thinking, since most kitchen cabinet units are pretty standardly build I could knock off the planels with a cnc and then assemble them myself...

Hi, I'm another montrealer who stumbled on this site and then this thread actually.

I'm doing some serious research now to try and get a side business started involving a CNC shop. Figured since I like woodworking why not try and earn a buck doing it but would like to look into partnering up some local woodworkers. Any interest?

email me at [email protected] since I don't check pm's here too often.

Hey guys (and Nick)!

I'm also in the Montreal area (not far from Nick actually) - My last bearings finally arrived yesterday, so I think I have everything I need to start my build.

My design has gone thru many iterations, but it's time to sh!t or get of the pot (as my dad was fond of saying).

My drivers are built, tested and the motors do their thing (hobbycnc kit). I have a stripped down PC running XP and Mach3 (eval for now), and found an old 8" touch screen from a abandoned CarPC build. (so now I have to find some Mach3 friendly screens for such a small screen)

For those interested, my design is based on Patrick Hood-Daniel's Blacktoe design - imitation and flattery and all that jazz.

CdnDave

I'm in touch with two other people from the Montreal area too...we should start a club and get together to check out each others machines, trade bits of advice and hardware.

What do you guys think? It seems like sourcing parts and having the means to cut everything accurately seems to be the biggest hinderances. I wouldn't mind building the structure and tacking on the expensive stuff (threaded rods and electronics) at the last minute.

Keep this thread alive!

I sourced most of my stuff from ebay (bearings and screws) and the US (kit)

Locally I've been using Fastenal (positive experience so far), acceselectronic in DDO for misc electronics and Rona/Home Depot (last resort)

I'm in favor of a local "club" but we are part of the biggest club in the world for CNC stuff right here at the 'zone

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by kkjensen View Post
    I'm in touch with two other people from the Montreal area too...we should start a club and get together to check out each others machines, trade bits of advice and hardware.

What do you guys think? It seems like sourcing parts and having the means to cut everything accurately seems to be the biggest hinderances. I wouldn't mind building the structure and tacking on the expensive stuff (threaded rods and electronics) at the last minute.

Keep this thread alive!

Gentlemen (and Ladies?)

I encourage you to have a look at this post. This guy is located in Longeuil and has built a beautiful machine, he is almost done!

Dave

I am from the Laval Area and building my own gantry machine these days.

Pretty much all of it from salvaged stuff from 2005 when the company I worked closed.
    I am an industrial electro-mech, with much more emphasis on the electro side!

Yeah for a club, meetings and barbecues or a smoked-meat sandwich at Jarry smoked-meat, with plenty of throat lubricant (beer's the best! ) etc...

We all have the same problems, but we all have different approach and different means.

Sure, let's get together!
    Luc

Hello.

You guys should check this place:
    Marche Aux Puces 5 Etoiles De Carignan
    2375 Ch De Chambly
    Carignan, QC J3L 4N4

There's an indoor surplus store there I'm sure you could find something useful there.
    I got my ballscrew there which I ended up selling on ebay.
    mhel
    "This is intentionally left blank."

Hi fellow Quebecois et Quebecoise.
    We are getting numerous I see.
    I'm in the laurentians and I already have a cnc lathe N mill and am looking
    into perhaps building a 5x10 table one day.When I have more time.....
    Too many projects so little time...
    Nice to see there are some cnc people around count me in.
    Later
    Claude

good idea...

I like where this is going....

The question is where and when? Any ideas? Someone's workshop?

The earlier the better I'd say

Wow!

I'm impressed how quickly the Montrealers found each other Thanks for reaching out Kolias (Nick). I'm out in the St Lazare area.

Smoked Meat sounds pretty good to me!

Dave

Howdy!

Here is my build log - I plan to update as I go

Dave

I vote for Kolias as our leader and organizer.

hi every one, Salut tout le monde I am new in cnc world too I build one right now, and hope to finish it this summer you can check it on my post: http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=618430 I try to design my bipolar drive now and check for witch kind of system I will use for the movement. Hope to be able to see your progress and good luck to all

Big new for thoose who wanna a strong transformer for there project, Addison electronic (8018 20E Avenue Montréal) have a toroidal transformer the input is 120 V and output 73VAC 8.8 amp so nice... but if you go to buy, keep one for me lol.

DIY CNC for sale in Montreal

Hi!
    I built a cnc 2-3 years ago. Actually, was the 3rd version I built to add a lot of improvements (all modular). Was working pretty well, but since I moved, I don't have really room for it anymore... Base is 4x4 feet and is now in 2 sections to help moving it in a small "fourgonette". Somebody interrested to buy the mechanical section of it? Base, X-X, Y, Z, motors (7 I think) + wiress. Only things I don't sell is the electronic/computer. I also have some CAD DWG I did (but to confirm). Contact me if you are really interrested. Could be a fantastic jump start for the new DIY cnc!

Just would like to say hi to all near by friends from montreal, I have a cnc machine to cut foam for RC airplane, I'm in the process of upgrading my
    stepper motor and I'm looking for a local shop that sells step motor.

Also I'm looking for acme rod.

If anyone has any info on where I can get this it would be great.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Navop View Post
    Just would like to say hi to all near by friends from montreal, I have a cnc machine to cut foam for RC airplane, I'm in the process of upgrading my
    stepper motor and I'm looking for a local shop that sells step motor.

Also I'm looking for acme rod.

If anyone has any info on where I can get this it would be great.

Thanks

For stepper motors and other CNC items, the only place that I know off in Canada is http://www.motiontek.ca/products.html in Toronto but they only sell high end staff and obviously are very expensive. I bought mine from http://www.kelinginc.net/ in USA.

For ACME if you want cold pressed any hardware store has them but they are not accurate. If you want precision I don’t know any in Canada. I bought mine from http://precisiontechmachining.com/id1.html in USA, very good place with good service.

Nicolas

Found a place in Ville St-laurent for stepper motor. If you go to oriental motor and select locator/canada.

for pk266-02a they want 88$ and you can save on shipping if you p-up at the warehouse.

Also found a place in the states for the same motor its $12.99 us but the shipping and duty will kill us.

search google for MPJA and in the section motor.

Thanks for info will look at site you mentioned.

Page 1 of 2 12