587,481 active members*
3,062 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Decisions, decisions

I need some advice from you guys. I want to go with a CNC mill. I will be milling aluminum, plastics and some steel. Too many variables, I have my own parts that I want to manufacture as well as customers, but let's say that the machines I am considering can do the materials I listed (maybe some better than others). My biggest concerns are:

1. single phase power

2. precision

3. ease/speed of conversion (if converting a machine to CNC)

My options:

1. I can get a Jet copy of a Bridgeport that is like new, convert it to CNC

2. Purchase a Tormach

3. Look for a used CNC machine

Purchasing a used CNC brings in the problem of single phase power and precision. Finding a machine in the under $8k range that hasn't seen a good bit of work will be hard.

I've heard good things about the Tormach, but then it's still considered a hobby machine?

Who makes a good CNC conversion for Bridgeport clones? I've seen plenty of conversions that are self design plans, which I wouldn't be opposed to doing, but I don't want to spend months on.

Am I missing any other options?

I'm torn between the Jet and Tormach, the Tormach is ready to roll. The Jet is a heavier built machine, larger work surface.

I'm just looking for some guidance from you guys, maybe some thoughts from someone that has done a conversion.

I would watch ebay for "cnc knee mill" they will sometimes come in under the 8k and a simple rotary converter is cheap enough to buy or build. I have seen some really nice machines sell in your price range, and these would have 100% closed loop cnc control with industrial grade machine quality castings.

Where are you located? I know some guys with a bed mill already cnc'ed for sale here in the Louisville Ky area.

Danny

I'm located in Southern California. I've been the rotary phase convertor route before, I would rather use a VFD. Other than the motor what else is three phase?

I took a look on eBay and there are a few machines in my price range and even a few bargains, but I'm afraid if I go for one of these machines I will be spending time fixing this or fixing that instead of learning how to run the machine and making parts. I know this contradicts buying the Jet and converting it to CNC, but at least everything will be new. I have the worst luck, I'm sure that if I buy a used CNC the controller will die shortly after I get it. And then I'll find out that the controls are no longer servicable and I'll have to upgrade everything on top of that!

Quote Originally Posted by ranchak View Post
    I'm located in Southern California. I've been the rotary phase convertor route before, I would rather use a VFD. Other than the motor what else is three phase?
    I am not sure, I would have to look at the machine. I think shipping would be too much to get the machine out there to you.

I think I would convert the jet mill then so that I could run it manual or cnc... sometimes it is easier to crank a handle or pull the quill handle.

Danny