587,189 active members*
3,175 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Thanks guys!

The grate material came with the bench it's on. I found the bench on Craigslist. I guess it was used in a trade school originally as a hydraulic test center. Under the grates is a slanted bed with a drain hole in the center.I'm not sure if it'll have enough drainage for the amount of coolant I plan to spray around in there eventually though.

I actually got some of that gasket material (the black/rubber gaskets for 10 series extrusions) but there's no way it would ever fit with 1/4" panels (even though it clearly says it will in the auction description). The slots aren't much bigger than 0.25", and my panels are 0.22" (I think). Maybe they sent the wrong stuff?

At least I couldn't make them fit. Maybe there's a technique that I don't know about... I haven't tried coating them with oil yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post

I actually got some of that gasket material (the black/rubber gaskets for 10 series extrusions) but there's no way it would ever fit with 1/4" panels (even though it clearly says it will in the auction description). The slots aren't much bigger than 0.25", and my panels are 0.22" (I think). Maybe they sent the wrong stuff?

At least I couldn't make them fit. Maybe there's a technique that I don't know about... I haven't tried coating them with oil yet.

I'm only guessing you're trying to install it wrong as I'm using 1/4 panels and they work beautifully.

Maybe I can take a picture to show how I installed it in mine for you.

Dave
    Dave->..

Ok, here's 3 shots forou, hope they help!

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gasket1.JPG   gasket2.jpg   gasket3.jpg  
    Dave->..

Thanks for posting those pics! I wish it were so easy!!
    The slots in the quick frame are much larger though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot - 3_1_2009 , 11_21_30 AM.png   Screenshot - 3_1_2009 , 11_22_49 AM.png  

Crap, I see, I had no idea those were that size, I just figured they were the same.

I suppose a shim of teflon or similar material would be best.

Dave
    Dave->..

Tslots in San Diego

Where can I purchase some?

What a weird coincidence... I haven't been on this forum for... well... a LONG time and when I do come on there's a post in a thread I started.

You can get these from several sources. It seems like the biggest manufacturer of these extrusions is "80/20 inc.". Here's their website; use their Distributor Lookup to find a dealer near you.

80/20 also has a "Garage Sale" on eBay where you can buy pieces that have been cut for other jobs (I think). They are sometimes used and are sometimes new. If you're price-conscious you might want to check your local distributor first. They may be cheaper AND they may also be willing to make you a deal. Also, you support your local economy - which is always good.

Another manufacturer is Futura Industries, here's their distributor lookup page.