587,506 active members*
2,778 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 5 2345
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtoy302 View Post
    That would not work. Your touch pad is not going to warp with the metal. There are pictures in this thread of my floating head. Watch my video of the head in action. They are not that hard to make. Your over complicating things with the touch pad.
    Thanks Bigtoy, I'll go back and review your configuration. I'm a little thick when it comes to this CNC stuff as I am very new to the hobby and getting older and it's harder for me to learn.

After many months or reading and researching I am finally ready to start building a plasma table. So here are the specs.
    48.5"X48.5" travel
    water tank
    369oz steppers
    dual drives on the y
    Gecko 201 stepper controllers
    20 degree 20 pitch rack and pinion
    3.75:1 gear reduction
    Hiwin 15mm LG rails on the Y and Z
    THK HSR25mm rail on the x
    CandCNC Digital THC
    Mach 3 control.
    Hypertherm 1000
    First off, very nice job on your plasma cutter. Looks great...

I'd like to know how much roughly the above components cost you, as well as a rough price of the steel to build your table?

Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by dsl-pwr View Post
    First off, very nice job on your plasma cutter. Looks great...

I'd like to know how much roughly the above components cost you, as well as a rough price of the steel to build your table?

Jesse
    I think I have about $5500 in to it total. Steel was about $250.

$5500 for the components listed above or total including everything (PC, plasma cutter, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by dsl-pwr View Post
    $5500 for the components listed above or total including everything (PC, plasma cutter, etc)?
    Yes, everything.

Bigtoy,

Saw this build over on Pirate also, seems like this one is more detailed.

Couple questions.

-What powersource are you using?

-Maybe i missed this but how are you keeping your floating head from "falling" out of the rail (thought i saw a set screw somewhere but i wasnt sure)?

-Is your 15mm rail on your X axis stout enough to keep your head from "rotating" and causing the X axis to bind?

-Are all your wires for your switches and drives shielded or does that not really matter?

Your project is awesome and it is inspiring me to do some work.

EDIT: Are you using a home switch on both your Y and slave A axes?

Quote Originally Posted by GrantZJ View Post
    Bigtoy,

-What powersource are you using?
    I am using a toroidal transformer from Antek and a cap and bridge from Digikey.

-Maybe i missed this but how are you keeping your floating head from "falling" out of the rail (thought i saw a set screw somewhere but i wasnt sure)?
    There is a piece weld to the bottom of the Z to catch the rail. If you look closely you can see it in the pics.

-Is your 15mm rail on your X axis stout enough to keep your head from "rotating" and causing the X axis to bind?
    The x rail is a 25mm with two block so no flexing or binding.

-Are all your wires for your switches and drives shielded or does that not really matter?
    All the wires are unshielded. everything works fine that way.

EDIT: Are you using a home switch on both your Y and slave A axes?
    I have not got around to actually mounting the switches. All the wires are there but I have too lazy to hook them up.

Excellent Design!!

I really appreciate your posting the details of your build.

I have a question, if you don't mind. What are the dimensions
    (inside of the rails) for the length and width of your table?

Thanks,

Mike Allen

Great build

Awesome build. You made it look so easy, and professional.
    Thanks for taking time to show us the details.

One question for the group; why the fluid in the bed? Just for better electrical connection?

Quote Originally Posted by dcorbett View Post
    Awesome build. You made it look so easy, and professional.
    Thanks for taking time to show us the details.

One question for the group; why the fluid in the bed? Just for better electrical connection?
    To keep all the dust and smoke down.

Smile

Hi Bigtoy,
    I am building plasma table by rack-pinion concept. I am interested in your method. Pls take a look from picture. I am puzzled with motor-plate which is held with one screw and one spring. I have some question.
    1) This concept, Is it enough to support the weigth of motor and aluminium plate set?

Hope your help
    Mongkol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hold.JPG  

Mongkol this looks very close to the design I used for my table. The bolt I used was a 1/2" diameter and I can not imagine that not being strong enough. Looks good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongkol View Post
    Hi Bigtoy,
    I am building plasma table by rack-pinion concept. I am interested in your method. Pls take a look from picture. I am puzzled with motor-plate which is held with one screw and one spring. I have some question.
    1) This concept, Is it enough to support the weigth of motor and aluminium plate set?

Hope your help
    Mongkol
    The 1/2" bolt is plenty strong enough to hold the drives. They weight less then 10lbs. The spring is on the light side. If I put all of my weight (180lbs) on the gantry at 450ipm I can get the drives to skip on the rack. But during normal cutting the machine dose not see any cutting forces.

Smile puzzled with the floating head

Bigtoy,
    Thanks for your reply. I also found the floating head on Z-axis. I have another question.
    1)I see it has limit switch on Z-axis for the floating head.How to hook up limit switch on it ? I have not ever seen the circuit of the limit switch of the floating head. ( Link to Z++ or Z,home) Pls advise.
    2)If I have the torch heigh control system,is it necessary to have the floating head on Z-axis?

Happy new year
    Mongkol

Bigtoy,
    Thanks for your reply. I also found the floating head on Z-axis. I have another question.
    1)I see it has limit switch on Z-axis for the floating head.How to hook up limit switch on it ? I have not ever seen the circuit of the limit switch of the floating head. ( Link to Z++ or Z,home) Pls advise.
    2)If I have the torch heigh control system,is it necessary to have the floating head on Z-axis?

Happy new year
    Mongkol
    The switch hooks up to Z home. It is necessary to have a floating head on the THC so you always know were the top of the metal is.

Using a floating head design you can swap different thickness of sheets you lay on the table and the machine still finds and compensates for the different thickness. Example: you are cutting 14 ga. material and need to cut 3/8 next. Just change plates and the floating head will find the top of the material by lowering the tip until a limit switch is tripped. The torch then will rise just enough to clear the switch. This height is Z home. Just another way of making life simpler for operators.
    I was really having a hard time getting this floating head design driven into my little brain until I talked w/ Torchead about it one day. Made perfect sense to me then.

Hi Plain of bill and Big toy,
    If I use THC and the floating head,I have three questions.
    1)It looks like the circuit of micro-switch don't complicate. Is it correct?
    2)If I cut steel plate at thickness 6 mm, how to set pierce height ,pierce delay,cut height and so on? Could you guide me?
    3) The torch should touch on the top of material before operation or not.

Sorry if I disturb you
    Mongkol

Hi Plain of bill and Big toy,
    If I use THC and the floating head,I have three questions.
    1)It looks like the circuit of micro-switch don't complicate. Is it correct?
    2)If I cut steel plate at thickness 6 mm, how to set pierce height ,pierce delay,cut height and so on? Could you guide me?
    3) The torch should touch on the top of material before operation or not.

Sorry if I disturb you
    Mongkol
    The floating head circuit is not complicated. It is just a z home switch. Pierce height, delay, and cut height are set by your cam program. I use sheetcam and you set all the parameters in there. In your post it will tell it to find the top of the metal before every pierce of not.

where could i buy some plans for a table like this?

In your post it will tell it to find the top of the metal before every pierce of not.
    Bigtoy,
    I have to set up the torch to X,Y,Z=0.000 on the top of material surface before run machine. Is it correct ?

Thanks so much for your patience and help
    Mongkol

Page 4 of 5 2345