587,833 active members*
3,086 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Question Bridgeport Series 1 R2E4

Just bought a used machine - Bridgeport R2E4 w/ BOSS 9 control
    Looks good - ran B4 transport

Hooked up and powers up - Goes through "self check" but won't "home" ie: axis enable red light on, press enable button and BOTH red and green are lit(?) Press "execute" - nothing happens.

Tried w/ and w/o tool in QC, w & w/o air applied - Screen states "axis limits" and "not homed" for all axis, but no movement or spindle start. Can't get to manual jog and table seems centered X&Y not on "limit switches" - Haven't checked "Z"??

Check power and fuses in panels that seemed obvious... Does anyone have any hints?? I'm new to this and dove in ankle deep, but head first! and must be making a simple mistake (I hope!)

Thanks in advance - Tommy

Bridgeport boss 9 issues

First check to see if it was wired for 440v. I had that problem on two R2e4's I bought and that was the problem. I am constantly reseating the BSP, Eizo, and FMDC cards to keep my machines running. E-mail me at [email protected] if you need more help.

Do you have the maintenance manual? There is a trouble shooting section which tells you where to check for what voltage.
    ALSO axis limit means that a axis is on a extreme limit switch. You may have to JOG OFF LIMITS. See operations manual.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I checked all above and this is were I at now, the Z axis was ran to the top to the upper limit switch after correcting that the error went away.

The main problem is #19 and #20 fuses they supply the 90vac for the power supply, they blow as soon as power is applied.

If I'm seeing this right I removed all fuses on the out going side of power Supply and still blow the fuses 19 and 20.

I feel like the problem is in the Power Supply itself.

Anyone ever had one of these to fail. I check the diodes I think they are ok not sure how to check them for leaking though.

Thanks for any help.

Diodes are one way devices. They also convert AC to DC. Thus there are 2 ways to check them.
    If your meter has a diode check function, it will check for the voltage drop across the semi-conductor junction. A drop of zero means a dead short.
    Or put a meter on ohms. You should show conduction in one direction, swap the test leads amd you should get mega ohms.
    There is also a very high probability that a capacitor may be shorted or may have very high leakage.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Can the capacitors be checked with an anolog meter?? I set mine on 10,0000 scale, the meter goes to 0 then meter drops to the left. I thought it would go to infinite???

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Can the capacitors be checked with an anolog meter?? I set mine on 10,0000 scale, the meter goes to 0 then meter drops to the left. I thought it would go to infinite???
    You can confirm it is still acting like a capacitor - so you'll weed out any that are shorted or open - but you won't be able to tell if the value has changed radically, which sometimes happens. It won't necessarily go to infinite resistance in any case, due to leakage, though it should go pretty high.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Unhook everthing from powrer supply including the neutral, no 19 & 20 fuses did not blow, as soon as I hook up the neutral it blew fuses. All cap's were check at local shop, checked ok they did not do a voltage check. Diodes check with ohm meter ok but now I wonder?????

Hi Tommy

How have you wired the input do you have 3ph power or are you using a converter it looks like you have something wired wrong on the input side
    Mactec54

I am running a Roto Phase, same is supply power for my Wire Edm with no problems. The in- put power is 98vac for the power supply on fuse #19 and #20 ,with all wires pulled off the Power Supply except the 90vac No fuses Blow. As soon as the netuarl wire is reconnected the fuse Blows. Sure makes me think it's in the Power Supply????? Being there is no load for the output side....

Hi Tommy

With the neutral not connected test the neutral wire with your meter & make sure it is not live as you may also have a dead short if it is live If it is live it is connected wrong somewhere on the input
    Mactec54

Thanks I will check that out tormorrow, One thing that realy confused me with the netural wire off I could get no voltage reading from the + side of power supply to ground. I thought I would get the 128vdc???????

Be aware that some older 3 phase services provide what is called "Grounded Hot Leg," which can be trouble if you don't know you have it. Do a google search to learn more.

I checked the neutral wire for power was none, again I removed all wires from power supply that was going out. Removed the neutral wire also. Power machine up have 98vac on fuse 19 to neutral and 20 to neutral. Then checking power supply output I see 109vdc to the neutral wire????

Yesterday I was checking for voltage from power supply to ground and I was seeing no power, using the neutral wire I do see some power sorry for the wrong information on earlier post.

Quote Originally Posted by greeder88 View Post
    First check to see if it was wired for 440v. I had that problem on two R2e4's I bought and that was the problem. I am constantly reseating the BSP, Eizo, and FMDC cards to keep my machines running. E-mail me at [email protected] if you need more help.

Hello. I am new here and came upon this thread, I am an electrician by trade.
    I see some voltages and other terminology not typical in the US.
    What are you all trying to figure out?

Oh yeah, I am here because CNC and maching materials is very fascinating to me.

Hello, and Wecome Aboard...

I have a 128vdc Power Supply blowing Fuses, as you can see from all the Post I think we have coverd a lot of things that could be a problem.

I have removed the diodes, caps and resistor and will take them to a electroincs shop and see what they find.

All suggestions welcome........
    Thanks
    Tommy

Ok this is what I have done so far.
    All diodes check,caps and resistor All check good.
    Reinstalled all parts left neutral wire off only getting about 90vdc.
    With the neutral wire off and checking the - side of Caps I am seeing 60vdc and if I turn my meter to A.C I pick up 38-volts AC.

So am I back to a Diode??????

Again Thanks for the Help
    Tommy

Hi Tommy,
    This may not help but,
    I recently had a weird problem where I was reading ~ 50v from my machine to ground. The machine would run fine for a while then weird out and everything tested fine.

In my case it turned out I had a ground that wasn't connected in the control panel for my phase converter. This caused the current to find it's own path back to ground, which luckily wasn't through me.

Just a thought.
    Cutmore

R2E4

Well, I am at the end of my rope with this power supply. Replaced Both Diodes and Had Caps check at local electronics shop and still have the same problems??????

With all wires unhooked from power supply except the feed wire from the diodes I get voltage when the neutral wire is hookup and power turn on I trip a breaker....

???????????? I'm Loss

Problem is on a different board, the 30 volts feeds the digital board, for those who might be tracking this thread in the future, if the 120 volt ac fuse to power supply is good blows the dc fuse then the digital power supply is bad, either wrong power attached or power converter not regulating, either way check your 12 -12 regulators on the power board, that 30 volt power supply pretty bullet proof. The weakest link is the regulors, they will take all kinds of voltage however the buck stops there to ground they cannot handle long term high voltages or delta changes extreme.

Page 1 of 2 12